"Hey Does Anyone Know Which Schools..." - A List of Lists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Define urban center.

like is Fort Collins an urban center (though it doesn’t feel like it, but population is 170k)? Or is the nearest Denver?

similarly, is Worcester an urban center (again, 170k and second most populous city in all of New England and is def a city... but it also doesn’t really feel like it though more so than ft Collins)? Or is the nearest Boston?

though compared to some places totally in the middle of nowhere, those are pretty big cities...?
Yeah champaign itself has 88k people and Urbana has 41k. So them together is over 120k as well. Its bigger than the suburb of Detroit I grew up in :shrug:

Members don't see this ad.

A real question that gets brought up is how close a school is to an urban center. Like a con for Illinois for a lot of people is that it is "middle of nowhere" and that Chicago and Indy are 2+ hours away and St. Louis is 3 hours away.
Manhattan is 2 hours west of Kansas City, 2 hours north of Wichita, and 3 hours south of Omaha. Manhattan's population is about 50k which feels small to me, but some of my classmates from rural western Kansas consider this a big city.

Whoa, Penn has a Cracker Barrel 11 miles from its campus. How dare. This puts us ahead of Arizona and just behind Virginia Tech. I say again, how dare!
BUT IS THAT CRACKER BARREL THE ONE IN MOUNT LAUREL, NJ?? Does it even count if you have to cross the BF?

Members don't see this ad :)
BUT IS THAT CRACKER BARREL THE ONE IN MOUNT LAUREL, NJ?? Does it even count if you have to cross the BF?
No it’s in Ridley PA! It counts!

Reactions: 1 user
Oh, last date actually hit by a tornado/natural disaster might take more Intense research but be eye opening. I see “tornadoes” as a negative selection criteria on people’s lists here sometimes but they’re so rare overall I wonder what’s most common where.

I think I know who might win this... or at least be very near the top. Dixie Alley is too real.

Another list of lists: "Which schools record lectures?", "Which schools have mandatory attendance?", and "Which schools have a dress code for classroom lectures?"

Reactions: 4 users
Define urban center.

like is Fort Collins an urban center (though it doesn’t feel like it, but population is 170k)? Or is the nearest Denver?

similarly, is Worcester an urban center (again, 170k and second most populous city in all of New England and is def a city... but it also doesn’t really feel like it though more so than ft Collins)? Or is the nearest Boston?

though compared to some places totally in the middle of nowhere, those are pretty big cities...?

I used urban center as a vague term cause I honestly don't feel a lot of the vet schools are in "small towns" like I hear them described as; so probably places like Chicago or Denver. My bestie interviewed at K-State and thought Manhattan was nearly provincial cause it didn't have a Target at the time, whereas Manhattan was 30x bigger than the town I was living in when I interviewed there. A lot of people say there's "nothing to do" in Champaign (or I've even heard that about FoCo from friends who went to undergrad there). So I would say "actual cities".

I used urban center as a vague term cause I honestly don't feel a lot of the vet schools are in "small towns" like I hear them described as; so probably places like Chicago or Denver. My bestie interviewed at K-State and thought Manhattan was nearly provincial cause it didn't have a Target at the time, whereas Manhattan was 30x bigger than the town I was living in when I interviewed there. A lot of people say there's "nothing to do" in Champaign (or I've even heard that about FoCo from friends who went to undergrad there). So I would say "actual cities".
Lol to the people complaining about FoCo, I've lived in major metropolitan areas my whole life (both in the top ten largest cities by population in the US) and feel there's plenty to do here. Your options are a lot more limited if you don't like beer or hiking, though.

Lol to the people complaining about FoCo, I've lived in major metropolitan areas my whole life (both in the top ten largest cities by population in the US) and feel there's plenty to do here. Your options are a lot more limited if you don't like beer or hiking, though.

Agreed. There's plenty to do in places like FoCo or Champaign if you're willing to go out and actually *do the thing*. I prefer places the size of FoCo rather than Denver to be honest (or even smaller!)

Reactions: 2 users
Agreed. There's plenty to do in places like FoCo or Champaign if you're willing to go out and actually *do the thing*. I prefer places the size of FoCo rather than Denver to be honest (or even smaller!)
I hate Denver lmao. Driving there is terrible and a lot of the "fun up-and-coming" parts of town were built smack in the middle of some pretty sketchy parts of town because people think they're improving it instead of pricing out lower income people from the area, which is what they're actually doing. (For reference, low income people lived in those areas because they were sketchy and therefore rent/property prices were lower, not the other way around).

Last time I was in Denver I also got followed and harassed for like two blocks while I was completely alone, pretty scary.

I hate Denver lmao. Driving there is terrible and a lot of the "fun up-and-coming" parts of town were built smack in the middle of some pretty sketchy parts of town because people think they're improving it instead of pricing out lower income people from the area, which is what they're actually doing. (For reference, low income people lived in those areas because they were sketchy and therefore rent/property prices were lower, not the other way around).

Last time I was in Denver I also got followed and harassed for like two blocks while I was completely alone, pretty scary.

Same though!! People imagine me going out every Friday night on 16th St. Mall when I say I'm from Denver. I'm like, "No."

I straight up never go downtown at all. The last time was probably during my first gap year taking some classes at MSU. Got followed on lightrail to my station by someone and had to confront him in a group of people to get him to bolt. There's nothing in Denver I want/need that I can't get in Aurora. And the housing market of Denver is bleeding into the surrounding metro area, making pretend house hunting for my fiance and I cry. Living with his bestie for at least a year post-graduation to save. Wouldn't be able to afford a house otherwise. If my grandparents ever need to sell the house they've been living in for the last 40 years, it's going to be worth nearly 10x what they bought it for :lol:

Another list of lists: "Which schools record lectures?", "Which schools have mandatory attendance?", and "Which schools have a dress code for classroom lectures?"
K-State would be on all these lists, but with caveats. Most lectures are recorded, but there was at least one class or professor each semester that would not record their lectures. I don't know how that may change in the coming year with COVID, K-State hasn't announced their plan for fall classes yet.

Technically attendance is mandatory for all lectures and labs, but most professors don't take attendance. If a lot of people were skipping a particular class they'd threaten to give pop quizzes, but this never actually happened to my class. For labs you could get away with skipping anatomy lab occasionally (and pathology lab often, lol), but some other labs had sign-in sheets.

There is a dress code for lectures, but it's pretty vague, the student handbook just says "Students in the DVM degree program are expected to dress neatly and to otherwise exemplify professional men and women at all times." My class was told during orientation no T- shirts, no leggings/yoga pants/ sweatpants, no short shorts, and no tennis shoes. However this is mainly enforced by the class officers, so some people bend the rules, and you're not going to be kicked out of class to go change if you're wearing the wrong thing. Just generally try to make an effort, and don't look like you just rolled out of bed or came from the gym.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol sounds like Chicago

"Which schools record lectures?"
K-State:
Most lectures are recorded, but there was at least one class or professor each semester that would not record their lectures. I don't know how that may change in the coming year with COVID, K-State hasn't announced their plan for fall classes yet.
WSU: Yes for all main lectures. Not for any electives.

"Which schools have mandatory attendance?"
K-State:
Technically attendance is mandatory for all lectures and labs, but most professors don't take attendance. If a lot of people were skipping a particular class they'd threaten to give pop quizzes, but this never actually happened to my class. For labs you could get away with skipping anatomy lab occasionally (and pathology lab often, lol), but some other labs had sign-in sheets.
WSU: Labs only, attendance is obviously encouraged for lecture but no policy

"Which schools have a dress code for classroom lectures?"
K-State:
There is a dress code for lectures, but it's pretty vague, the student handbook just says "Students in the DVM degree program are expected to dress neatly and to otherwise exemplify professional men and women at all times." My class was told during orientation no T- shirts, no leggings/yoga pants/ sweatpants, no short shorts, and no tennis shoes. However this is mainly enforced by the class officers, so some people bend the rules, and you're not going to be kicked out of class to go change if you're wearing the wrong thing. Just generally try to make an effort, and don't look like you just rolled out of bed or came from the gym.
WSU: None

please modify with your own school's policy

Reactions: 1 users
K-State:
Most lectures are recorded, but there was at least one class or professor each semester that would not record their lectures. I don't know how that may change in the coming year with COVID, K-State hasn't announced their plan for fall classes yet.
Minnesota: Yes for all lectures as far as I know, including electives.

K-State:
Minnesota: labs only for the most part, but there are certain professional development lectures that are mandatory with attendance taken.

K-State:
Minnesota: none

K-State:
ISU: yes for all main lectures and electives. Most professors will leave the recording up all semester but some will take it down after a couple days but there is the option to download the audio and keep that

K-State:
Minnesota: labs only for the most part, but there are certain professional development lectures that are mandatory with attendance taken.
ISU: Labs, some classes have in class quizzes so you have to be there or have certain days that are required

K-State:
ISU: no leggings, short shorts, etc. but t-shirts, jeans, tennis shoes are fine. Scrubs only during labs. Every Thursday you have to dress in professional attire.

K-State:
ISU: yes for all main lectures and electives. Most professors will leave the recording up all semester but some will take it down after a couple days but there is the option to download the audio and keep that

K-State:
ISU: Labs, some classes have in class quizzes so you have to be there or have certain days that are required

K-State:
WSU: No scrubs outside of lab
ISU: no leggings, short shorts, etc. but t-shirts, jeans, tennis shoes are fine. Scrubs only during labs. Every Thursday you have to dress in professional attire.

K-State:

K-State:

K-State:

Just amending to say no scrubs outside of labs at WSU :) but other than that, definitely no dress code and it’s great. I lived in leggings :laugh:

Dumb I never changed out of anatomy scrubs
Nah labs were first and I am glad people can’t sit in gross scrubs in lecture :laugh: it’s part of their biosecurity protocols.

Nah labs were first and I am glad people can’t sit in gross scrubs in lecture :laugh: it’s part of their biosecurity protocols.
Oh fair. We had anatomy lab at the end of the day so I just wore scrubs all day so I didn’t have to change into them at lunch. That rule I can see because of stank anatomy scrubs :laugh:

K-State:
Purdue: All lectures and some labs (when possible) are recorded. Recorded lectures are available for the duration of the semester.

K-State:
Purdue: Yes; however usually skipping is not too much of a problem, but if the professor feels like it and they have justifiable cause (i.e. over half the class is missing) they can send out an attendance sheet. This tends to vary depending on class, however. It happened to my class several times, but never happened to the class above us.

K-State:
Purdue: The dress code seems strict, but everyone is generally pretty laid back about it. Dress code is generally something that is enforced by class reps, who don't seem to really care what we do. There are also a few days where there are exceptions, such as on Halloween when people can dress in costumes. Official policy: "Wear attire which is neat, clean, and professional as illustrated by: clothing is free of rips, tears, fading, and patches, stretch pants and leggings shall be covered by a top or dress, footwear which is protective and professional, closed toe shoes are required when working with animals and in all labs, and maintain personal hygiene and be properly groomed including clean and trimmed finger nails. The following are prohibited: headwear inside the building unless for religious, cultural, or medical purposes, political messages, clothing which exposes undergarments/underwear, gym attire or sleepwear (spandex, gym shorts, yoga pants, etc.), flip flops, strongly scented products (i.e. perfumes, colognes, aftershave, etc.) (respecting that some individuals are allergic), long, hooped, or dangling jewelry including piercings (for safety purposes)"

K-State:
Purdue: All lectures and some labs (when possible) are recorded. Recorded lectures are available for the duration of the semester.

K-State:
Purdue: Yes; however usually skipping is not too much of a problem, but if the professor feels like it and they have justifiable cause (i.e. over half the class is missing) they can send out an attendance sheet. This tends to vary depending on class, however. It happened to my class several times, but never happened to the class above us.

K-State:
Purdue: The dress code seems strict, but everyone is generally pretty laid back about it. Dress code is generally something that is enforced by class reps, who don't seem to really care what we do. There are also a few days where there are exceptions, such as on Halloween when people can dress in costumes. Official policy: "Wear attire which is neat, clean, and professional as illustrated by: clothing is free of rips, tears, fading, and patches, stretch pants and leggings shall be covered by a top or dress, footwear which is protective and professional, closed toe shoes are required when working with animals and in all labs, and maintain personal hygiene and be properly groomed including clean and trimmed finger nails. The following are prohibited: headwear inside the building unless for religious, cultural, or medical purposes, political messages, clothing which exposes undergarments/underwear, gym attire or sleepwear (spandex, gym shorts, yoga pants, etc.), flip flops, strongly scented products (i.e. perfumes, colognes, aftershave, etc.) (respecting that some individuals are allergic), long, hooped, or dangling jewelry including piercings (for safety purposes)"

you can add Mississippi to all of the above

Would it be worthwhile to put these lists in a google doc like we did with the "factors when picking a school"?

Would it be worthwhile to put these lists in a google doc like we did with the "factors when picking a school"?
Tbh I think things like dress code and lecture capture are already on the "factors when picking a school" google doc. Not that the info there isn't worthwhile to know, but the things I was listing in the opening post here were meant to guide applicants trying to figure out what schools they should or should not include on their lists based on various aspects of their application (beyond COA of course)...and I kinda hope nobody is picking what schools to apply to based on dress code lol

Reactions: 1 users
I kinda hope nobody is picking what schools to apply to based on dress code lol
I certainly am. If I can’t wear a clown costume on the daily I don’t wanna go
giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Just trimming down my comments a little bit!

K-State:
Most lectures are recorded, but there was at least one class or professor each semester that would not record their lectures.

K-State:
Technically attendance is mandatory for all lectures and labs, but most professors don't take attendance. If a lot of people were skipping a particular class they'd threaten to give pop quizzes, but this never actually happened to my class. For labs you could get away with skipping some, but others had sign-in sheets.

K-State:
There is a dress code for lectures, but it's pretty vague, the student handbook just says "Students in the DVM degree program are expected to dress neatly and to otherwise exemplify professional men and women at all times." My class was told during orientation no T-shirts, no leggings/yoga pants/sweatpants, no short shorts, and no tennis shoes. However this is mainly enforced by the class officers, so some people bend the rules, and you're not going to be kicked out of class to go change if you're wearing the wrong thing. Just generally try to make an effort, and don't look like you just rolled out of bed or came from the gym. Nice jeans are allowed.

you can add Mississippi to all of the above
So just to clarify, lectures are recorded, attendance is mandatory, and there is a dress code? What's the dress code like? (I think I remember you saying before it was pretty strict...)

unfortunately nothing out of NY will come close to NY pizza

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This has been my biggest struggle since moving to Minnesota. And people try to tell me to get Chicago deep dish pizza.

Deep dish is not pizza, I refuse to apologize. It's a CASSEROLE.

Reactions: 3 users
Roberta’s pizza in Brooklyn is like the beeeeesst. Closest to a pizza napoletana Vera we’ve had in the states.

The waitress with a huge bush of armpit hair is fine (I mean, whatevs, you do you), but I could have done without the BO or the hands full of rings which must be some sort of health code violation. Though the pizza is so good I’d prob still go even if I knew the servers never washed their hands.

This has been my biggest struggle since moving to Minnesota. And people try to tell me to get Chicago deep dish pizza.

Deep dish is not pizza, I refuse to apologize. It's a CASSEROLE.

haha i definitely don’t blame you!! that’s going to be my biggest struggle too, and bagels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...and I kinda hope nobody is picking what schools to apply to based on dress code lol
I purposely looked into this when applying. I didn't want to go anywhere where people are trying to regulate what I can and can't wear. My ass looks great in leggings, I don't need people trying to stop me from enjoying this body I've crafted!

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
I purposely looked into this when applying. I didn't want to go anywhere where people are trying to regulate what I can and can't wear. My ass looks great in leggings, I don't need people trying to stop me from enjoying this body I've crafted!
Requires photographic evidence ;)

I also recommend people with the questions try on their own to make a list. It is good practice to research and find accurate information, which is a necessary skill to be successful in this field, as well as in general for a well informed life. haha

Reactions: 9 users
I made a quick list of vet schools without a teaching hospital:

Canada:
University of Calgary

Grenada:
SGU

St. Kitts:
Ross

USA:
University of Arizona
LIU
LMU
Western University

Unless I missed anything, I believe all others have a teaching hospital on site. From what I've found, I believe they all follow the distributive model (except for Ross/SGU, where they send students to the USA or Canada for clinical year, if I understand correctly). Arizona does have a university-owned clinic (Douglas-Ames Animal Hospital) on site, but it doesn't appear to be a full-scale teaching hospital, as far as I'm aware.

Disclaimer: this is all from my own research, so if I missed anything or overlooked something, please don't hesitate to correct me.

Canada:
University of Calgary

Grenada:
SGU

St. Kitts:
Ross

USA:
University of Arizona
LIU
LMU
Western University

Unless I missed anything, I believe all others have a teaching hospital on site. From what I've found, I believe they all follow the distributive model (except for Ross/SGU, where they send students to the USA or Canada for clinical year, if I understand correctly). Arizona does have a university-owned clinic (Douglas-Ames Animal Hospital) on site, but it doesn't appear to be a full-scale teaching hospital, as far as I'm aware.

Disclaimer: this is all from my own research, so if I missed anything or overlooked something, please don't hesitate to correct me.

I don't think Midwestern has one either? Paging @FrostySparrow

Just trimming down my comments a little bit!

K-State:
Most lectures are recorded, but there was at least one class or professor each semester that would not record their lectures.

K-State:
Technically attendance is mandatory for all lectures and labs, but most professors don't take attendance. If a lot of people were skipping a particular class they'd threaten to give pop quizzes, but this never actually happened to my class. For labs you could get away with skipping some, but others had sign-in sheets.

K-State:
There is a dress code for lectures, but it's pretty vague, the student handbook just says "Students in the DVM degree program are expected to dress neatly and to otherwise exemplify professional men and women at all times." My class was told during orientation no T-shirts, no leggings/yoga pants/sweatpants, no short shorts, and no tennis shoes. However this is mainly enforced by the class officers, so some people bend the rules, and you're not going to be kicked out of class to go change if you're wearing the wrong thing. Just generally try to make an effort, and don't look like you just rolled out of bed or came from the gym. Nice jeans are allowed.

So just to clarify, lectures are recorded, attendance is mandatory, and there is a dress code? What's the dress code like? (I think I remember you saying before it was pretty strict...)

I know that Midwestern records lectures + has a dress code (I don't know specifics on it though).

Canada:
University of Calgary

Grenada:
SGU

St. Kitts:
Ross

USA:
University of Arizona
LIU
LMU
Western University

Although SGU doesn't have an actual teaching hospital, we do have a small animal clinic outside of campus that we do mini rotations at during our 6th term on the island :)