HIGH GPA but somewhat average OAT scores?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndJ

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I took the OAT yesterday and safe to say, I am somewhat disappointed in my results...

Biology: 290
Gen Chem: 280
Organic Chem: 340
Reading Comp: 310
Physics: 250
QR: 370
Total Sciences: 280
AA: 310

I took 4 practice exams with Princeton Review's OAT CRACKER and scored much higher in all subjects besides math (stayed the same). I was a bit surprised with the questions asked for the sciences as I studied really hard and scored around 340s or higher on the practice exams. However, the most frustrating part for me was that halfway through the test my eyes gave out on me since I was staring at the screen nonstop for hours. That had the most negative impact on the reading portion since I could no longer read what was on the screen. No excuses however, I guess I just have to power through that struggle.

With that being said, I am wondering if I will receive school interviews with those scores? I am currently in the application process for admission of Fall 2019. My GPA is a 4.0, and I only have 2 classes of Optometry pre-reqs left to fulfill which I am currently enrolled in. I spoke to a few students I know that are currently in optometry school. They said that reading comp and physics are two subjects that they look at the least, and that I should not worry too much about my OAT scores because my AA score of 310 is in the 55th percentile and my GPA is much higher than the average, indicating that it somewhat balances it out.

Along with that, I do club sports and have multiple jobs, one including a huge leadership role. I will be working at an eye clinic here shortly and have shadowed multiple doctors with nearly 30 hours under my belt.

I wanted to receive more input on my criteria and if I'm considered competitive with my GPA? Any perspective is greatly appreciated! I'm feeling a bit stressed out after the OAT!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.