This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

edoddo

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm currently in high school, graduating early so I have to enroll in college now. I've been interested in dentistry for years now but I would like to hear from students or already practicing dentists if it's a good career choice. I've heard mixed things and just want to know if overall you regret going into dentistry or if you think it was a good choice. I want to go to school to become a dentist and later on an orthodontist as well. Thank you! Answers very appreciated.
 
Dentistry is a fantastic profession, but only if you're genuinely interested in taking care of people and improving their oral health. You will burn out if you're in it just for money, which also has diminishing returns with increased student debt and evolving healthcare. Unless you plan to take over someone's ortho practice, you're putting the cart well before the horse there. Get into dental school first and actually learn some dentistry before deciding on a specialty. But first, enjoy college dude. That's the best four years of your life.