Histopath images thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So anyway - that case was a myelodysplastic syndrome arising in a 9 year old with Li Fraumeni syndrome.

I kind of like this case - DLBCL in pleural fluid

pleural004.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
One would think so, yes - especially after seeing the H&E - this is a shot of the frozen section but the real one isn't any different.

45665fs3.jpg

45665fs4.jpg

But all the large cells are CD20 and 79a positive, mostly cd30 and some cd15. It's actually best classified as DLBCL. :eek:

ok, let's try this and hope it works...

encasing mass of lung, autopsy case...

social: shipyard worker.

papillarypatternmesothelioma.jpg

another pattern (sarcomatoid), in a liver met..
sarcomatoidpatternmesothelioma.jpg

we then digested a portion of lung, leaving only this lil' guy...
ferruginous2.jpg

dx: [COLOR=Light Blue]malignant mesothelioma (1st - in lung, 2nd - met to liver, 3rd - ferriginous body)[/COLOR]

Case #4: 30-something-year-old woman has these:

PIC00001.jpg

PIC0002.jpg

PIC0003.jpg

I've never seen these outside a textbook - and the answer to your next special stain request is "Negative".

She did have the classic CXR :)

Quick glance leads me to believe that #4 is sarcoidosis (non-caseating granulomas).

That is correct. Silver stain for fungus and Fite for AFB were negative.

And yes I have been made aware that the low-power focus for micrographs in Case #2 suck - but you can actually see the salient architectural features. Anyway to help you along: it has pushing margins, minimal atypia, no junctional activity, no epidermal invasion, no peripheral inflammation, no necrosis, no mitotic figures.

Did I mention his BUTT?

Members don't see this ad :)
@Deschutes:

1. What's the site. Looks like a papillary eccrine adenoma
2. Don't know. Solitary mastocytoma vs. nevus lesion.
3. Fungal stains. Cutaneous histoplasmosis gets my vote
4. Sarcoid: classic case.
5. Sertoli cell tumor: 10% display malignant behavior.

Number 3 is a classic example of histoplasmosis vs leishmaniasis. Making a diagnosis on H&E is difficult since you will be able to see both organisms with that stain, although typically, leishmania is more evident than histoplasma on H&E. Of course, if you do a grocott or gms, then histoplasma is positive and leishmaina is negative. Books mention leishmania organisms have a kinetoplast and stain positive with giemsa. In the couple of cases that I’ve seen, the kinetoplast is not obvious at 40X, and the organisms are visualized better with H&E than with giemsa.
Would also include a mucicarmine or alcian blue stain in the work-up to rule-out the less likely possibility of crypto.

yaah said:
For future pic posting - try to limit images in size (particularly memory), and limit # of images per post - otherwise this thread can get unwieldy to open. :)
Point noted. I thought of that when I first posted the pix, and then didn't have the time to fix it. It's my 5th month of surg path in a row, need I say more? ;) I'll try to fix it when I'm on Micro.

Answer key:

1) Apocrine cystadenoma. (It was on the scalp - I believe I did mention the head in the original post :) )
2) Cellular blue nevus
3) Cutaneous histoplasmosis (Pt was HIV+)
4) Sarcoid, just for fun
and
5) Gonadal stromal tumour, unclassified, benign.

Thanks DrBloodmoney for the revival!

Bumping for those who don't know about this thread and are interested. I have deleted a lot of the redundant and irrelevant posts from this thread.

Very nice, the "still think so" part gave it for me though
I like this thread:luck:

Very good cases...just wonder if you or anyone else is willing to donate them to Surg path atlas.

Anyway good cases and good quality of the images..
thanx

And just some trivia: the grannular basophilic material deposited in the vascular wall in pt with small cell lung carcinoma is called: Azzopardi phenomenon. It was described by Azzopardi in 1959 who found it in about 20-30% of these tumors and identifyed it as DNA. The same phenomenon is described with meduloblastomas/PNET and some lymphomas.
madsci

Thanks for bumping the thread guys--good to see these cases. It inspired me to go digging in my archives for an autopsy case:

4 year old kid, history of white matter/optic nerve lesions, mental status changes, diffuse light skin pigmentation, diffuse lymphadenopathy, and adrenal atrophy. Brain cutting showed diffuse, severe discoloration and granularity of the white matter. Attached are some pictures. Any thoughts?

I'm not saavy enough with inserting images into my text--previewing this, the images look small. I tried looking around to see how to insert images, but I'm not having luck. Any help would be appreciated--I have a couple of heme cases I think would be interesting too, and I'd like to post those.

Attachments

• Low power adrenal.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 157
  • high power adrenal.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 138
  • brain low power.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 170
What we've generally done in the past is create an account at some free photo-sharing website (e.g. photobucket.com) that allows you to link to your own images. Takes a while to get past the usual competing priorities, edit the images to a reasonable size, remember the user ID/password combo for the account one hasn't used in months etc...

But at any rate, here is some dermpath for the derm rejects... :p

Scalp thingie on an adult:

DSCN7425.jpg

DSCN7426.jpg

DSCN7427.jpg

DSCN7428.jpg

DSCN7429.jpg

DSCN7430.jpg

Your Dx?

~
Adding this thread to the "Path info websites"...

Posting the diagnosis before I forget:

It's a (hit Ctrl-A):

Panfolliculoma.

Panfolliculoma is a rare follicular neoplasm with differentiation toward both upper (infundibulum and isthmus) and lower (stem, hair matrix, and bulb) segments of a hair follicle.

Elderly man, with a history of TCC of the bladder (papillary, s/p cytoprostatectomy with radiation therapy 2 years ago) Atypical cells on cytology from urethra sampling. The urethra had no gross lesions, but over seemed a bit fibrotic grossly.

Urethra Resection:
Near the Prostatic end
ProstraticUrethrax40.jpg

In the Distal half:
Adenox100.jpg

Mucin positive (both by H&E and by stain) (the original TCC was not)
Adenox200Mucin.jpg

It is a little hard to tell, but the lesion was centered below the urethra, and did not seem to directly involve it at any point.

Another section:
Adeno_plusX100-2.jpg

Close up:
Adeno_plusX400-2.jpg

Did you do a CDX2?

Was this an invasive adenoca from the colon vs prostatic ductal adenoca?

Did you do a CDX2?

Was this an invasive adenoca from the colon vs prostatic ductal adenoca?

No, and he had no Prostatic CA on his prior resection, or currently any colon masses.

IHC CK7, CK20 (kind of focal) , CEA positive. PSA Negative.

AdenoCA. Could still be prostate, try PsAP, HMWCK and p63 to try to eval bladder vs prostate. Urothelial can differentiate into glandular commonly, so it certainly doesn't rule out UC. Of course, could also be arising from some small bizarre structure that usually minds its own business.

AdenoCA. Could still be prostate, try PsAP, HMWCK and p63 to try to eval bladder vs prostate. Urothelial can differentiate into glandular commonly, so it certainly doesn't rule out UC. Of course, could also be arising from some small bizarre structure that usually minds its own business.
Adenocarcinoma
1-2% of bladder carcinomas
Defined as malignant tumor differentiated towards colonic mucosa
2/3 occur in men; mean age 68 years
Usually present with hematuria
5 year survival is 20-40%; stage is most important prognostic feature
Restrict diagnosis to pure adenocarcinomas
Either in situ, urachal (1/3, not actually part of adult bladder) or non-urachal (2/3), or clear cell
Gross: 2/3 are single lesions; fungating masses invade bladder wall and ulcerate the mucosa; tumor surface is covered by gelatinous material
Micro: glandular component predominates, usually resembles colonic carcinoma; often produces mucin, usually deeply invades muscularis propria; almost all are considered high grade at diagnosis
Cytology: high grade, but often lack features of glandular differentiation; rarely are well differentiated and appear benign
Positive stains: CK7, CEA, EMA, CDX2, membranous staining for beta-catenin
Negative stains: PSA, vimentin; variable PAP, CA-125 and CK20
References:Hum Path 1986;17:939 (PAP staining), AJSP
2003;27:303 (CDX2)

Adenocarcinoma
Positive stains: CK7, CEA, EMA, CDX2, membranous staining for beta-catenin

This is why I hate CDX2. We treat it like a GI marker, but it seems to stain lots of adenos.
Ah well, what do they say. The only specific markers are the understudied markers.

PsAP was negative in the tumor. The HMWCK stained some of the tumor and the basal cells of the urethra and some of the normal gland structures.

Answer: (ctrl A or just highlight with the mouse)
Adenocarcinoma arising from either the Cowper's glands, or the glands of Littre'.The later seems more likely with the association and the most distal position of the tumor.

Normal glands with urethra
LittreX40-normal.jpg