Hogwarts School of Medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I noticed that, too. WTH?

yeah, so stupid. they need to read the book first, then they will love it all so much more like us!

all of these critics are acting like politicians...stating their own opinion which is vastly different from the majority. It seemed like all of my fellow movie-goers/hp fans were pleased with the film last night!

Members don't see this ad.

yeah, so stupid. they need to read the book first, then they will love it all so much more like us!

all of these critics are acting like politicians...stating their own opinion which is vastly different from the majority. It seemed like all of my fellow movie-goers/hp fans were pleased with the film last night!

It seems like the movies wouldn't make a lot of sense if you hadn't read the books

Members don't see this ad :)
Rotten tomatoes gave it a fresh rating so not all the critics must be saying bad things... and I think the movie makes enough sense if you seen the last five movies (at minumum).

Critics would probably be giving it a better review if part 1 and part 2 were combined... instead of leaving us hanging. I almost wished the were released at the same time, where you would buy two movie tickets for part 1 and 2... and get a 30 minute break between them. It would be like an all day outing of harry potter!

To be fair, I agree with the critics that a good movie should be self-contained. I've never read Lord of the Rings, but I pretty much know what's going on through the movies because the writers drafted good screenplays. I remember thinking through "Order of the Phoenix" that someone who hadn't read the book would be utterly clueless. To me, that's a problem.

That said, Harry Potter movies are fun movies (imo), if not great ones.

As for the school, forget Hogwarts School of Medicine! If I were a wizard, I'd forgo the medical dream to be a teacher of some random subject (Transfiguration maybe?). Then, I could stay at Hogwarts until I was 180 or whatever age Dumbledore was.

this thread made my day. i never read rotten tomatoes, but I usually go by IMDB.

the only thing I have against the HP films is that Dumbledore's character does not align with his character from the book...

still like the movies though and will probably go to the theaters tonight ;)

this thread made my day. i never read rotten tomatoes, but I usually go by IMDB.

the only thing I have against the HP films is that Dumbledore's character does not align with his character from the book...

still like the movies though and will probably go to the theaters tonight ;)

Ugh, this. I cringed so hard when he rushed in, grabbed Harry, and yelled in his face in GoF. Angry-spittle-producing!Dumbledore :thumbdown:

I saw the movie last night, and I totally cried when Dobby died. So sad...

I agree that the movies should be free-standing from the books in terms of understanding the story line. However, I just think its silly for critics to think they can write a true review unless they understand everything thats going on. Let's be honest, the movie might make sense and all, but you won't appreciate the tiny details unless you've seen it. That's why critics don't appreciate the latest film. They think the producers missed something when they portrayed the plot and characters as wandering, slow, and lost. That's the whole point of a good portion of Deathly Hallows though, and that's why 7.1 was a great portrayal of the literature.

Now that the Dark Lord is dead, I heard Hogwarts SOM is increasing the tuition by 6,000 galleons :eek::eek::eek:. I mean with the way the economy is how can they justify this? i guess my only option is the Auror HPSP. But I heard they want a 10 year commitment and that the residency training is terrible. Anyone go this route have any input?

PS. Best thread on SDN :thumbup:

now that the dark lord is dead, i heard hogwarts som is increasing the tuition by 6,000 galleons :eek::eek::eek:. I mean with the way the economy is how can they justify this? I guess my only option is the auror hpsp. But i heard they want a 10 year commitment and that the residency training is terrible. Anyone go this route have any input?

Ps. best thread on sdn :thumbup:

+100000000000000000000000000

Now that the Dark Lord is dead, I heard Hogwarts SOM is increasing the tuition by 6,000 galleons :eek::eek::eek:. I mean with the way the economy is how can they justify this? i guess my only option is the Auror HPSP. But I heard they want a 10 year commitment and that the residency training is terrible. Anyone go this route have any input?

PS. Best thread on SDN :thumbup:

i had my interview for the auror program (via floo network, not portkey) the other day, and on the tour, one of the students addressed that working for the ministry is not as bad as it seems. but if you did well on the Potions NEWT, it wouldn't hurt to apply :)

i want to go to medical school with all of you :)

this is amazing!

I wish I wasn't so tired so that I could think of something creative to write...

Members don't see this ad :)
To what extent do you think they will let us use pensieves at Hogwarts School of Medicine? I mean, obviously we cannot use them during any exams (as that would probably be considered cheating), but they sure would help in terms of learning from mistakes made during clinicals or remembering something from a specific lecture, right?

I hope it's a good balance.

I heard it's gonna depend on how many professors are willing to donate their memories. I know of some who have a lot they don't want to share :rolleyes:

How is the competition in the other Houses? We've been experiencing some problems at Ravenclaw, someone's been hiding our books and flashcards.

Hogwarts sent me an interview invite! It must have been because I talked about seeing Dobby's death and autopsy on my secondary.

P.s. DOBBY DIES! BELLATRIX KILLS DOBBY! :cool:

If you just found this out via the film, SHAME ON YOU. Read the books people! lol just teasing.

But really, read the books. Especially before the opportunity to do so before medical school passes you by!

The movies are definitely nowhere near as good as the books are. And they're not as faithful to the books as I want them to be. So I definitely dislike the movies a lot. With that being said, I haven't seen the latest movie yet. I hope that you guys who are into the movies liked this one.

The movies are definitely nowhere near as good as the books are. And they're not as faithful to the books as I want them to be. So I definitely dislike the movies a lot. With that being said, I haven't seen the latest movie yet. I hope that you guys who are into the movies liked this one.

I saw the movie last night and really enjoyed it. They changed a few things to make it more theatrical (it's definitely an action movie!) and some of them were really nice additions to help make the characters more sympathetic or to streamline the plot. And the scenery during the camping scenes was spectacular-- they couldn't have chosen better places to film the movie. Go see it-- it'll never be as good as the books-- but it was a really enjoyable 2.5 hours.

I saw hp 7.1 in theaters last week...again. that X2 for me

I really am dying to see harry potter 7. I just bought 1-6. Im a harry potter fan. Im going to see it this weekend.:)

I really am dying to see harry potter 7. I just bought 1-6. Im a harry potter fan. Im going to see it this weekend.:)

Ok, I must admit that I am quite a stickler when it comes to hp fans since many non-readers claim to be fans. Have you read the books? If not, you should give them a shot. Then, and only then, will you be a true fan.

I liked it but thought the emotional stuff fell kinda flat. I think it was because Dobby was such a non-presence in the movies that I wasn't really able to invest in his death when it came, which is a pity because when Harry writes "Here lies Dobby, a free elf" on his grave in the book I definitely caught some kind of weird eye-misting bug.

As for Hogwarts SOM, I was invited to an interview but unwisely chose to set myself apart from the applicant pool by bringing in a Blast-Ended Skrewt to demonstrate my prowess at treating acid burns. I probably won't be doing that next cycle.

no.. even Harry was rejected... Ginny and Hermione both got in though.
Percy was waitlisted, they thought he was too uptight and too much of a perfectionist to deal with real people...

Bump for dvd coming out on the 15th

I heard Neville was accepted! I really enjoyed my interview day there!

I'm not eligible. Since Voldemort has taken over, I can't apply because I'm a mud-blood.

The existence of this paper is the best thing that I learned on the interview trail this cycle...

Med Teach. 2007 May;29(4):353-7.
The new and improved learning community at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine resembles that at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.
Stewart RW, Barker AR, Shochet RB, Wright SM.

Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21224, USA.
Abstract
BACKGROUND: In July 2005, a learning community was created at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine (JHUSOM) to foster camaraderie, networking, advising, mentoring, professionalism, clinical skills, and scholarship--The Colleges. The cultural and structural changes that emerged with the creation of this program have resulted in JHUSOM bearing a resemblance to J. K. Rowling's fictional Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

AIMS: This manuscript will describe the similarities between these two revered schools, and highlight the innovations and improvements made to JHUSOM's learning environment.

DESCRIPTION: The intense, stressful, and lengthy professional training required to achieve competency in the practice of medicine and in the practice of witchcraft (albeit fictional) have meaningful parallels.

CONCLUSION: The supportive learning environment at these two schools should afford the next generation of graduates to have an even more enriching experience than those who have come before them.

This thread seriously blows my mind. I've never been able to sit through a Harry Potter movie but I wish I could understand what you people are talking about. Sounds hilarious.

Just wow.

This thread seriously blows my mind. I've never been able to sit through a Harry Potter movie but I wish I could understand what you people are talking about. Sounds hilarious.

Just wow.

I feel sorry for you. Have you read the books? Do you read any fantasy or mystery novels?

If not, you're missing out!!

I feel sorry for you. Have you read the books? Do you read any fantasy or mystery novels?

If not, you're missing out!!

I love fantasy but just never got into Harry Potter. Plus the movies really blow don't they? I'm sure the books are better. They're not as bad as the Chronicles of Narnia but still.

Super stoked for the DVD to come out...I heard the 15th is also when they'll be sending their final round of acceptances for this year...I have been waitlisted but I am keeping a positive attitude and already have my trunk packed... :confused:....I am confused about why you are all talking about your OWLs and NEWTs...everyone knows that they don't care that much about your high school tests and that its your WCAT during undergrad that really gets you in... Thats where I struggled, good gpa but just can't get a handle on my defense against the dark arts spells, think I'm flourishing my wand too much....

I agree, to be a true fan you must read the books and yes I have read them. Im going to buy harry potter 7 on dvd.

Ok, I must admit that I am quite a stickler when it comes to hp fans since many non-readers claim to be fans. Have you read the books? If not, you should give them a shot. Then, and only then, will you be a true fan.

Do you like lord of the rings?

But yes I agree Harry potter is better then chronicles of narnia.

I wasn't into HP at first but it grew on me and somehow got into it long after everyone had read the books.

word. as the books got darker, i got more interested. that said, the first 100 pages of rehashing whatever crap happened in the previous book always annoyed me (this was especially bad early on in the series). whatever, i guess that's what i get for reading children's literature.

i remember posting in this thread during the heady summer of 2006 when i applied to Hogwarts SOM, hoping beyond all hope that I too would one day sport the green and silver. now, a crust HSOM4 and a month shy of graduating, i am saddened to be leaving dear old Hogwarts.

good luck to all...and forget whatever you may have heard about slytherin. it really is the best house. :thumbup:

2mfdpl.jpg

edit: whatever, i'm feeling old and dorky. a little parody action is needed in here NAOW! note... this is not the original parody, but i wasn't sure how that chick's uh... anatomy would be treated here in the lounge and i don't need to get banned or some shiz. put yer put yer wands up!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpFRPnLzU-4[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
Does anyone know how I can obtain my background check from the Ministry of Magic? I got in trouble with them for reckless flying and I want to see if I should report it or not...don't want to ruin my chances!

I absolutely loved the books, but I don't see why so many book readers bash the movies. The movies are good as well, of course, they can't cover every little detail in the book.

Severus my old pal, long time no see. :).

Hope you matched into your top choice for residency. Hope all is well these days.

Yes I remember your old snape avatar and the one of the old man giving the bird with both hands. Totally hillarious. Good times good times. your humor always made me laugh. :)

And I agree. Everyone says oh it is no longer good as it gets darker but i think it getting darker and darker make it more interesting.

:D hey hey, gujudoc! i see you are still keep people in line around these parts!

i did indeed match exactly where i wanted to be for residency, so no complaints here. looking forward to getting to see another part of the great NE.

i miss some of my old avatars, but alas, will probably have to appreciate the old man/bird one for private admiration. i find that the higher up one goes in medicine, the more you worry about things you never cared about before (a la professionalism). i now channel my inner feelings through the crazed antics of ms. lestrange.

you should come down into the Lounge, lady! Myuu has already been captured... i've got my sights on you next!:smuggrin:

I absolutely loved the books, but I don't see why so many book readers bash the movies. The movies are good as well, of course, they can't cover every little detail in the book.
I agree. I think the movies are good. Definitely can't touch the books, but still good. I like the most recent one the best.

Now I have that parody song stuck in my head.... like it's quiddich, like it's quiddich...

My letter came by owl this morning...

I haven't heard anything back. Should I try contacting them by owl, or should I just wait it out?

I wish I could apparate to the headmaster's office and ask them straight up if I'm Hogwarts material.

I haven't heard anything back. Should I try contacting them by owl, or should I just wait it out?

I wish I could apparate to the headmaster's office and ask them straight up if I'm Hogwarts material.

If you could apparate... then you'd be Hogwart's material. Keep practicing. You'll get there!

UGH JEALOUS. What's the book list look like this year?

Let's gossip about people with bad NEWT scores. :laugh:

Those poor individuals... can't transfigure worth a damn... Some loser asked me about a potion... said he ran out of HBr, so he used CH3COOH... rookie mistake.

Those poor individuals... can't transfigure worth a damn... Some loser asked me about a potion... said he ran out of HBr, so he used CH3COOH... rookie mistake.

Snape must be rolling in his grave.

So...I just found out that preference is given to students who attended Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry which is bull **** b/c they said they didn't have any IS preference. I'm assuming at this point that the class size is full so I'm going to withdraw my application.