honor societies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pbehzad

Faddayy
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are they really worth the $50 membership fee, especially when you know you are most likely not going to do anything with them. I am wondering on whether i should join the bio natl honor society (phi sigma) and the poly sci honor society (pi sigma alpha) but they both cost about $50 to join. I have already fallen into the trap of paying money to 3 other honor societies (AED, ODK, and NSCS which I really dont do anything with them. I am wondering do med schools look more favorable if you have more honor societies to put down? Also, if i dont pay the money and become a member, could you still put that you were a member of the honor society since you were invited and accepted to join or is that kind of risky?

thanks for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

those honor societies are worthless and will not add anything substantial to your application.

Originally posted by robotdancing
those honor societies are worthless and will not add anything substantial to your application.

i agree.......since I am a broke college student, i would not spend money like that just to beef up my resume/app. unless you know people in the society that can vouch for its greatness, I say screw-it

Members don't see this ad :)
have to agree with the others...

esp if you do nothing, i wouldnt even add it on to my application, be a waste of a slot id think.

I think PBK (phi beta kappa) is the only one worth joining. It seems to be very well respected in the academic world.

Originally posted by azpremed
I think PBK (phi beta kappa) is the only one worth joining. It seems to be very well respected in the academic world.

agreed

so National Socitey of Collegiate Scholars sucks? My sister told me it was worth the 50......anyone have any opinions on this specific society?

I'm the President of a National Honor Society at my school, and I'll tell ya that NO ONE CARES if you just hold membership unless you participate a ton. Most people look to see if you are an officer because it shows involvement. If you don't plan on being an officer, then don't bother. Plus, I think it speaks poorly of someone's character if they hold a lot of certificates but don't do anything with them. BORING! Everyone knows that people like that won't contribute much to society later on. They just want the prestige.

I'll echo the sentiment that just being a member means jack. You actually have to hold an important office or plan some event for anyone to even look twice. Anyone can pay their money to get it, but it takes time and devotion to lead the group.

No one cares about "checkbook credentials" where all you do is pay the money and leave.