Honor Societies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I

inkysphinx

What collegiate honor societies are you pre-meds a part of?

Members don't see this ad.

Tau Beta Pi - Engineering Hon. Soc.
Gamma Beta Phi - Honor and Service Soc.
Omega Chi Epsilon - Chem Eng. Hon. Soc.
Golden Key - National Hon. Soc.

Alpha Chi Sigma--Chemistry Professional Fraternity
Gamma Eta Sigma--Honors

I will probably join:
Gamma Beta Phi
Golden Key
AED--premed honors

Members don't see this ad :)
alpha phi theta - international history honor
will probably be in phi beta kappa (pbk) next year (too late to do any good)
didn't send in golden key fee

i've got a feeling that like national junior honor society, nobody cares. 'cept maybe pbk, cause a girl at our school got into harvard off the waitlist because of it. people mention that they graduated with pbk, so apparently it is notable.

Phi Beta Kappa
Sigma Xi
-----------------

I've heard of the golden key society but as far as the others, i've never heard of most of these!
:)

I think Phi Eta Sigma, Golden Key, and AED are complete wastes of money. The stats to get in are not that high, and admissions committees know it. But that is if you're not one of those people who pay money to buy those Who's Who directories. Not all honor societies are created equal, please be aware of that. Some of them, especially to pre-med students (who generally get higher grades), should be called "mediocre societies." Also consider that our chance at medical school is probably lower than being admitted to these societies.

But definitely pay the fee for PBK.

fly,
you haev to have two people in sigma xi nominate you yah? thats a good one. congrats.

Phi Beta Kappa
Sigma Xi
Beta Beta Beta (Biology)
Alpha Sigma Nu (Jesuit)

•••quote:•••Originally posted by brickmanli:
•I think Phi Eta Sigma, Golden Key, and AED are complete wastes of money. The stats to get in are not that high, and admissions committees know it. But that is if you're not one of those people who pay money to buy those Who's Who directories. Not all honor societies are created equal, please be aware of that. Some of them, especially to pre-med students (who generally get higher grades), should be called "mediocre societies." Also consider that our chance at medical school is probably lower than being admitted to these societies.

But definitely pay the fee for PBK.•••••I agree that Golden Key, AED, and the like are wastes of money IF you just pay the money to put the name on your application and leave it at that. However, these societies can be both rewarding to you and a credit to your app if you actually do something as a part of them. Our AED chapter has become increasingly active over the past couple of years, and I'm really glad to be a part of it. Sure, you only need a 3.0 to join, but it's what I've done as a part of the organization and not the simple fact that I got in that is important to me.

By the way, I'm biased:

AED - president next year
PBK - or at least will be come fall

Phi Beta Kappa
Phi Kappa Phi

@University of Illinois @ Urbana-Champaign

I guess I fooled both of them...

Phi Beta Kappa
Phi Kappa Phi
Golden Key
Phi Eta Sigma

I had money to burn... :p

I didn't want to pay for any honor society except Mortar Board because MB is focused on community service and provided me some great oppertunities.

I just got the initiation invitation for Phi Beta Kappa in the mail today.
Do you think I should pay for this one?

•••quote:•••Originally posted by pocwana:
•I just got the initiation invitation for Phi Beta Kappa in the mail today.
Do you think I should pay for this one?•••••This has been discussed to no end. Do a search for "Phi Beta Kappa". There are at least three threads I can think of.

with how much i search, i didn't even think of that. thanks!

Phi Beta Kappa is the honor society that is worth noting on an application. All others are less selective, and in most cases only require a nice fee to get a pretty little book. I think everyone I went to school with was "invited" to the Golden Key convocation.