• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Hospital volunteering hours

Dwerfy

Apr 29, 2020
  1. Pre-Dental
Hi everyone,

Graduating senior applying to dental school at the moment. Before I decided to pursue dentistry, I volunteered a lot at the hospital near my University. This amounted to about 200 hours of volunteering in multiple departments. I have a fair amount of dental experience, but I'm not sure if I even want to include this on my app because it is not focused in dentistry. Should I include these hours in my application, or maybe at least some of them? I specifically volunteered in labor and delivery/postpartum unit for service learning for a class. Maybe it's best to just include that?

Let me know what you guys think. Thank you!

About the Ads

Quinque

7+ Year Member
Sep 9, 2014
  1. Pre-Dental
I would count it - good way to phrase it could be exposing you to healthcare settings and talking about how it shaped your ability to connect with and talk to patients.

For example: One of my passions was hospice volunteering, it was not dental related at all, but I was able to express how as a dentist I will be working with patients of all ages. And as a college student living on campus, its easy to become secluded in your age group, so my hospice experience helped expose me to a new demographic of patients (older patients) and helped build my ability to form relationships with them.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.