Hospital volunteering hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dwerfy

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Graduating senior applying to dental school at the moment. Before I decided to pursue dentistry, I volunteered a lot at the hospital near my University. This amounted to about 200 hours of volunteering in multiple departments. I have a fair amount of dental experience, but I'm not sure if I even want to include this on my app because it is not focused in dentistry. Should I include these hours in my application, or maybe at least some of them? I specifically volunteered in labor and delivery/postpartum unit for service learning for a class. Maybe it's best to just include that?

Let me know what you guys think. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

It's completely fine to include it. It's a lot of volunteering hours. A lot of folks are actually in the same boat ( I was too). Including the hospital volunteering number would not be seen as a negative.

Put it down minus the hours that were for a class assignment

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes put any and all volunteering hours. Experience is experience

Reactions: 1 user
I would count it - good way to phrase it could be exposing you to healthcare settings and talking about how it shaped your ability to connect with and talk to patients.

For example: One of my passions was hospice volunteering, it was not dental related at all, but I was able to express how as a dentist I will be working with patients of all ages. And as a college student living on campus, its easy to become secluded in your age group, so my hospice experience helped expose me to a new demographic of patients (older patients) and helped build my ability to form relationships with them.