Housing search etiquette while on a waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wowdascoo

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I’m currently on the waitlist for my #1 top choice, but guess I should start looking for housing in case things don’t pan out how I’d like them to. Is it normal to find roommates and start planning ahead for housing even though there’s a (hopefully good) chance I may not actually end up going to that school? What’s the etiquette involved in this sort of thing, in terms of giving a heads-up notification and actually going through with signing a lease, etc.?

Members don't see this ad.

You need to be very upfront with them. Medicine is not a large field. Personally, I would never start the housing search with someone who may just up and go on a moment's notice and leave me paying the whole rent. If you happen to find someone who's okay with that, then more power to you. Try to delay signing the lease for as long as possible, and/or do short-term leasing by yourself (simplest solution).

Reactions: 1 users
So I’m currently on the waitlist for my #1 top choice, but guess I should start looking for housing in case things don’t pan out how I’d like them to. Is it normal to find roommates and start planning ahead for housing even though there’s a (hopefully good) chance I may not actually end up going to that school? What’s the etiquette involved in this sort of thing, in terms of giving a heads-up notification and actually going through with signing a lease, etc.?
If you sign a lease, technically you may be legally liable for the entire year's rent unless there is language in the lease about early termination (usually with a penalty).