This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

learnerforlife!

WCUCOM ‘26
5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you're on the right track, try to get your gpa around 3.75. See if you can get a publication or maybe a literature review while in your lab. California is one of the most difficult states for sure, but you should at least be a good candidate for OOS schools with a 3.75 gpa, 512+ MCAT, maybe a publication with your research, and your leadership and volunteer experiences.

You won't be able to pay for medical school. I would try to make enough money to pay for your applications, interviews, and some money to pay for some expenses for your first year. I worked as an EMT/medical scribe for a year after undergrad and was admitted this year.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you're on the right track, try to get your gpa around 3.75. See if you can get a publication or maybe a literature review while in your lab. California is one of the most difficult states for sure, but you should at least be a good candidate for OOS schools with a 3.75 gpa, 512+ MCAT, maybe a publication with your research, and your leadership and volunteer experiences.

You won't be able to pay for medical school. I would try to make enough money to pay for your applications, interviews, and some money to pay for some expenses for your first year. I worked as an EMT/medical scribe for a year after undergrad and was admitted this year.

Congratulations! Yes, I am definitely taking 2 gap years because I want to make enough money as a scribe to pay for applications. Also, it seems like great experience with medicine. Should I save up to $5,000?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations! Yes, I am definitely taking 2 gap years because I want to make enough money as a scribe to pay for applications. Also, it seems like great experience with medicine. Should I save up to $5,000?

You should save as much as you can, you will need around $2000 for your applications and interviews but that will vary depending on how many schools you apply to, how many you interview at, and how far the schools are. I worked as a scribe and EMT while living at home for a year and was able to save ~$18,000 to pay for my rent and expenses first year.

You should save as much as you can, you will need around $2000 for your applications and interviews but that will vary depending on how many schools you apply to, how many you interview at, and how far the schools are. I worked as a scribe and EMT while living at home for a year and was able to save ~$18,000 to pay for my rent and expenses first year.

If I don't make enough money for first year expenses, I will be given loans to live off of, right? I don't think I can do a job during medical school to pay for rent and food. Thank you.

If I don't make enough money for first year expenses, I will be given loans to live off of, right? I don't think I can do a job during medical school to pay for rent and food. Thank you.

Yes you will have to take loans out. I can't speak for every medical school but I know that all the ones I interviewed at will not allow you to have a job during medical school. You will be able to take loans out. I wouldn't worry about all that yet. Get in first and then worry about the loans later!

Status
Not open for further replies.