How are biochemistry classes added to science GPA score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orange_elephants

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm a biochemistry major and most of my classes are biochem classes. I'm assuming that they will be added to my science GPA on my application, but will it be added to biology or chemistry?

Members don't see this ad.

I doesnt matter. Biology and chemistry both pool into the BCPM GPA.

Reactions: 1 user
I suspect the OP is asking not for the AMCAS classification but rather how will individual schools classify these courses with respects to prerequisite fulfillment. Some schools will considered Biochem solely as a chemistry and thus, it will not fulfill biology requirements.

Most schools now have biochemistry as an explicit requirement, so it's completely separate from your year of chemistry or year of biology.

Members don't see this ad :)
If pre-reqs are a concern then chemistry should be fine because you must have taken gchem and ochem (both with labs), correct?

As for bio, I strongly believe that you will have to take a year of bio with lab at some point. But it is very important to make sure that you double check this.

Most schools now have biochemistry as an explicit requirement, so it's completely separate from your year of chemistry or year of biology.

I know it obviously depends on a school by school basis, but do you think 1 quarter of 3 unit Biochemistry + 1 unit lab for "non majors, or non series version" would qualify this requirement for most schools this coming cycle, especially since they are just recently adding it to their prerequisites?

I know it obviously depends on a school by school basis, but do you think 1 quarter of 3 unit Biochemistry + 1 unit lab for "non majors, or non series version" would qualify this requirement for most schools this coming cycle, especially since they are just recently adding it to their prerequisites?

It depends on the school. Some schools will stipulate a semester of biochemistry or its equivalent. So you'd have to see what the "equivalent" of a semester of biochemistry is for your quarter system. Other schools will state the credit hours required. For instance, Hopkins requires 3-4 credit hours of biochemistry (http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/som/admissions/md/application_process/prerequisites_requirements.html). If your course is three semester hours, then it's fine.

But if your school has multiple versions of biochemistry, I would encourage you not to take the watered-down version. You're just shooting yourself in the foot for the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user