How are people coming along?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Howister

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi!
I was just wondering how people are coming along.
I just finished my freshman year
So far I have taken all my physics, gen chem, and half of my bio. My required science gpa 3.35 and my science gpa is a 3.44. My total GPA is a 3.53. I have 40 units.
I have 750 + hours at a small animal hospital and I just started at an emergency hospital and so far have 80 hours....I will be working 40 hours a week during the rest of the summer and 24 hours a week during the school year. I am also taking ochem, bio, calc, and psychology.
I dont know if I have too low of a gpa or not....but I took a lot of my required sciences quickly so I am wondering if that is taken into consideration. Also, I am wondering if I need more outside experience....and also how others are doing!

Members don't see this ad.

Seems like your well on your way.

Any GPA <3.9 can always be improved, and can always improve your chances, but seems like you have quite a few credits/opportunity to do just that. Your animal experience seems great as well - The more the better obviously (and varied).

Maybe a summer research gig and your name on an abstract/poster? Not hard to do, and can go a long way if the right people are viewing your application.

g/l to ya

Sounds like you're on track - I would just tell you to keep on doing what you're doing, and see if any more opportunities for unique experiences come up. These can be anything - research, zoo/wildlife, or a trip abroad? Keep your GPA where it is... (or higher, of course, but I think you're doing okay especially if you took a lot of science at once... maybe space things out more and see if that helps?)... and maybe join a club or organization that interests you if you have the chance. Leaderships positions, alternate interests, and community service are all things that can go on the VMCAS someday.

So far, so good though! :)

I took a lot of science classes at once so that I could apply my junior year. I went to the UC Davis Pre-vet counselors and they said I was a “very qualified applicant”; however, I had trouble with my biology class last semester and got B instead of an A, which was the grade I expected when I went to talk to them. So now I am a little nervous. Does anyone know about applicants who apply without a bachelors and with only three years of college? I was told I had a good chance when I talked to actual pre-vet counselors, but when I talked to a UC Davis rep they told me I was crazy. :cool: