How are these majors for dental school?

Started by Leee6378
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Leee6378

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Majors:
  • Medical Anthropology and Global Heath
  • Earth and Space Sciences
  • Environmental Health
I’m thinking of majoring in microbiology right now but it’s really difficult I heard. These ones were interesting to me also but I really want to get into dental school.
 
I have a liberal arts degree (not science based) and I know others that had english and business. I don't think it matters too much what your degree is as long as the pre-requirement classes have high grades and are from a university not a community college.
 
^Common misconception. Prerequsites should be high grades is correct, but nearly all prereqs CAN be taken at a community college. Doesn’t matter what your major is.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
^Common misconception. Prerequsites should be high grades is correct, but nearly all prereqs CAN be taken at a community college. Doesn’t matter what your major is.
It true that some schools will accept CC credits but there are some schools that won't. I got criticized during a few interviews for having CC pre reqs on my transcripts, and was told to get the rest of my pre reqs at a university especially O-chem and Biochem if I wanted to be taken seriously.
 
Last edited:
Not just some, more like 95% of schools accept the CC credits. And I have even heard exceptions for schools that claim they won’t accept any CC credits. I’m proof that the opposite is true. Took nearly all of my prereqs at CCs, except micro and biochemistry (because they weren’t offered). Why were you on an interview and they were telling you to get the rest of your prereqs at a university to be taken seriously, hadn’t you already completed your prereqs? Went on 7 interviews and they never brought it up. I think one way to silence their concerns is do well on the DAT and it shows the classes you took at CC weren’t a joke.