how badly does an f affect you really??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmgrl5

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Feel like I'm posting too many Q's but here goes anyway, figure someone can help with this. Here's the deal, I won't say what my GPA for last semester was and I never will but let's just say it was... ahem... shameful. And not at all indicative of what I know I can really do. Went through a rough time with postpartum depression, could pull myself up. Am now doing much better now, am on academic probation for the semester though. Have to either a)raise my cum. GPA above 2.0 or b)get a semester GPA of 2.25. Good deal, can do that. But I'm worrying a lot about how difficult it is to raise my GPA in the long run. I mean to get from where I am now to a 3.5 or higher down the road... how possible is that to do? I've heard many times that it doesn't take much to smash your GPA to pieces but it takes a lot to raise it.

Any thoughts or advice here?

Members don't see this ad.

I have quite a few D's and F's on my transcript, and was able to snag interviews at my top choices. What's honestly most important is being able to show your seriousness (especially if you're older) by trying to do as well as you can from here on out. It looks a lot better to do really bad and improve steadily then to do the reverse.

Being older does have advantages of applying to pharmacy school anyway, since it shows that you're really serious and dedicated, and everyone will have one kind of screw-up or another. The only thing that matters is that you look at it as a lesson learned, and move on. Good luck!

I failed organic chemistry (1st semester) and received admission offers from two schools.

Then again...I retook it the following semester and got an A, and rocked my PCAT's and interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
I failed organic, microbiology and biochem at some point... :eek: Just need to make sure you have great improvement afterwards!

yeah.... if you fail, it all depends on what you do after. If you fail it, retake it and get a C....mmm, not so good.

Hearing from you guys, now i feel like I have a chance at the big shot!!! lol

Feel like I'm posting too many Q's but here goes anyway, figure someone can help with this. Here's the deal, I won't say what my GPA for last semester was and I never will but let's just say it was... ahem... shameful. And not at all indicative of what I know I can really do. Went through a rough time with postpartum depression, could pull myself up. Am now doing much better now, am on academic probation for the semester though. Have to either a)raise my cum. GPA above 2.0 or b)get a semester GPA of 2.25. Good deal, can do that. But I'm worrying a lot about how difficult it is to raise my GPA in the long run. I mean to get from where I am now to a 3.5 or higher down the road... how possible is that to do? I've heard many times that it doesn't take much to smash your GPA to pieces but it takes a lot to raise it.

A lot will depend on whether you're looking at GPA over 60 credit hours or GPA over 130 credit hours. If you're one of the people who hopes to go from their second year of college into a pharm program, that F will have a heavier bearing on your overall GPA. On the other hand, if you're talking about one F over 130 hours, a B.S., and the rest of your grades all As and Bs, then that one F isn't going to be as significant.... especially if you retook the class and got an A in it.

At this point, it's there, you can't change it. Just find a way to work around it, retake the class and ace it, do well in everything else, and save it for your personal statement. :)

I got a D in cell bio and thought it was the end of the world....my other grades were good but not good enough to erase a D....ya know?

Anyway, I feel the real equalizer is the PCAT...Retake your poor graded classes for sure, but certainly focus on the PCAT and take it a couple of times.

Great PCAT can mean forgiveness for some poor performances. :thumbup:

I got 4 F's in one semester, however I got about a 1.0 GPA between two consecutive semesters. I had about 120 hrs at that point and it's taken me about 4 years (at least full-time per semester with summer semesters too) to bring it up 0.4. I'm at 200 semester hours and when I got all A's last semester it only brought it up 0.07. If you're really committed to bringing it up, go for it. My GPA dropped almost a point that year, due to personal reasons. But it isn't impossible to get into pharmacy school. :D I even have got an interview. :) Feel free to PM me.

I got 4 F's in one semester, however I got about a 1.0 GPA between two consecutive semesters. I had about 120 hrs at that point and it's taken me about 4 years (at least full-time per semester with summer semesters too) to bring it up 0.4. I'm at 200 semester hours and when I got all A's last semester it only brought it up 0.07. If you're really committed to bringing it up, go for it. My GPA dropped almost a point that year, due to personal reasons. But it isn't impossible to get into pharmacy school. :D I even have got an interview. :) Feel free to PM me.

that's a lot of semester hours :scared: don't think i could take that many and still be living >.> Nice job with your hard work though! :thumbup:

During my previous term, I made good grades and two bad grades. Maybe you need to find another study routine.