How competitive am I to match Neurology at a strong program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mcsteamy13

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there! I am very interested in neurology and I'm wondering what sort of programs I can be competitive for. I just have no idea what to expect honestly.

I am a 3rd year DO student. So far, my application includes:

Step 1 - 233
COMLEX 1 - 610
Other -
Founder/President of club (non-neuro)
Anatomy department lab assistant
Top quartile of class
I have some informal labwork/research experience during undergrad, but no pubs, case reports, or anything official. I think this is the next thing I'm going to work on.

Thanks in advance for any feedback! I have basically all of 3rd year and 4th year to add to this, so any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Having matched into a Neurology residency myself, I believe that your chances are very good for mid-tier programs. Top-ranked programs are more difficult to predict for a lot of other reasons. Your Step score and being top quartile will help you immensely. I would focus more on research and trying to get a few things published if you can.

Having matched into a Neurology residency myself, I believe that your chances are very good for mid-tier programs. Top-ranked programs are more difficult to predict for a lot of other reasons. Your Step score and being top quartile will help you immensely. I would focus more on research and trying to get a few things published if you can.
Thanks so much! I will definitely look into some research opportunities. It's frustrating having basically zero support from my DO school in that regard.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much! I will definitely look into some research opportunities. It's frustrating having basically zero support from my DO school in that regard.
Top programs require crazy good scores, crazy good research, crazy good letters; most likely a combo of the 3. Founding a club doesn’t really matter, lab assistant is eh. As a DO, you’re likely kinda stuck in mid tier unless ya know somebody. I’m a DO, I had the same step 1 score, minimal research (outside a few case reports and posters and several projects that didn’t end up with anything published), great letters and the “highest ranked” interview I got was Case Western. Great program but I wouldn’t have even heard back from any of the Mayos and UCSFs of the world. So it depends on what you view as “top” programs

For neuro though, “prestige” doesn’t really end up mattering unless you want a big time academic career. There’s such a shortage of neuro in most of the country the job outlook is great

Reactions: 1 users
Top programs require crazy good scores, crazy good research, crazy good letters; most likely a combo of the 3. Founding a club doesn’t really matter, lab assistant is eh. As a DO, you’re likely kinda stuck in mid tier unless ya know somebody. I’m a DO, I had the same step 1 score, minimal research (outside a few case reports and posters and several projects that didn’t end up with anything published), great letters and the “highest ranked” interview I got was Case Western. Great program but I wouldn’t have even heard back from any of the Mayos and UCSFs of the world. So it depends on what you view as “top” programs

For neuro though, “prestige” doesn’t really end up mattering unless you want a big time academic career. There’s such a shortage of neuro in most of the country the job outlook is great
Thank you! This really helps put it into perspective. I’m not dead set on prestige. I’m a bit lost on how to go about searching through these programs? Is there anywhere I can go to find out what average step scores are for programs, or anything like that to start making a list?

Thank you! This really helps put it into perspective. I’m not dead set on prestige. I’m a bit lost on how to go about searching through these programs? Is there anywhere I can go to find out what average step scores are for programs, or anything like that to start making a list?
Look around here, FRIEDA I’d a good resource, but even then a lot of times it isn’t updated or their “minimum” step score is literally passing. Basically as crazy as this site is It definitely has a decent idea on “rankings”

OP you do not need a 'top tier' program to be a great neurologist. Mid-tier programs take plenty of DOs with no reservations. The clinical training at some mid-tier program will be better than some top tier (volume/acuity, autonomy, procedures etc). St. Elsewhere Regional Medical Center is also not going to care where you trained, especially when they've been paying for locums for 3 months already.

As for programs- decide on a geographic area first, then a lot comes down to interview day in terms of the feel from the residents/faculty.

How important is it to have research if you are a DO? (Especially if you have below average scores...)

How important is it to have research if you are a DO? (Especially if you have below average scores...)
Eh I mean it will never hurt you, but it usually isn’t necessary. Although if you’re substantially below average it could bring your app up a bit I guess. It very much depends on where you’re applying if they’re research focused or clinically focused. But in general, it’s better to have it than not, even if it’s a minor difference

Are there any programs in the Midwest or South that have reputations for being very “resident-centered”? In terms of overall happiness (lifestyle, hours, culture) and training quality?

Are there any programs in the Midwest or South that have reputations for being very “resident-centered”? In terms of overall happiness (lifestyle, hours, culture) and training quality?
Look into geography first in terms of cities, then compare to FRIEDA to guage competitiveness, then go onto here or Reddit. The reddit application spreadsheets are super helpful if not biased like it is here. I interviewed all over the midwest and to be completely honest the vast majority made themselves seem "resident centered". Also, there really aren't reputations as much because on here people tend to drop off once they hit residency because we don't have time. Plus what one person hates another might love. Its all about the feeling on interview day

Reactions: 2 users
The average program has happy but busy residents who will turn out to be good neurologists. Figure out where you want to live, then see what the culture is like at each place. If you aren't having 70-80 hour weeks in PGY2 and occasionally in 3/4, you are not going to learn neurology well enough to do well independently in most cases (yes the occasional program is not front loaded, but you need to be busy and see volume).