How Did You Spend The Day Before Taking Step 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Solace

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering what you guys did the day before taking Step 1.. During my first year of medical school, some of my classmates used to look at me crazy because I spent the night before tests watching television with an ice cold beer in my hand. Of course, second year didn't allow me to do this much at all. Anyway, how did you spend the day before the test?

Members don't see this ad.

I've scheduled my day-before as a rest day. Last minute studying just creates stress

Reactions: 1 user
I disagree. Step 1 IS a cram test. You MUST memorize 1st Aid to get the meat of the score. I read it the day before the test. Stopped studying at 5 PM. Had my beer and went to bed. But of course if you can know what Hurlers syndrome is 2 weeks after reading it you should be golden.

Reactions: 1 users
musicman1991 said:
I disagree. Step 1 IS a cram test. You MUST memorize 1st Aid to get the meat of the score. I read it the day before the test. Stopped studying at 5 PM. Had my beer and went to bed. But of course if you can know what Hurlers syndrome is 2 weeks after reading it you should be golden.

Well, if people would start their studying at the beginning of second year, and build upon what they learn as they go, Step 1 would't have to be a cram exam. I can't imagine the stress involved in waiting until the "last moment" to cram all this information into one's head. No wonder panic attacks are so common around USMLE time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, but if you still need to cram the day before this exam--the cumulation of 2 years of medical education--you haven't been studying effectively. Take the day before to relax and lower your anxiety level. At the most, do an hour or so of some *easy* questions you've already done.

What kind of studier are you normally? If you normally relax the night before a test, do so for this one. I took the exam in a city 1.5 hr trainride away. three of us went up the day before, walked around the city, had a good lunch and went to the hotel for an ealry bedtime (which wasruined by other hotel guests, but that's not the point.) Last minute cramming, even if I could conceivably learn something I need to know at that point, just hypes up my anxiety.

BTW, why is everyone always so mean and negative to each other on these forums? Sheesh.

Hi

During the last day I reviewed FA several times. Slept before 9 to get some well-deserved rest.

good luck !

lf

I was planning on doing any last minute memorization in the morning that I might not have gotten to. Then I'm going to spend the rest of my day taking my dog for a walk, getting a pedicure, watching tv, etc. :)

my personal opinion and plan...studying hardcore the day before step is not a good idea. It is not going to change your score by much on the day of the exam...and it will just give you a lot of extra unneeded stress.

Reading through FA for one last time is probably the best thing to do. I mean, the exam really is not about what you know on everyday basis. It is about what you know on the day you take it. I hope at the end of a month of studying, I would at least have all of FA in my head (that by itself is a pretty tough goal to accomplish). :)

It is reasonable to argue against study the night before due to the lack of effectiveness and unnecessary anxiety but at the same time, the reverse is also true. I could never do "nothing" the night before and get over the guilt. The key is to strike a middle ground and do some light reading-keeping in mind that "light" means different things to different people.
I read select sections from FA and a few notes about Qbank q's that I got wrong, those were approximately 7 or 8 (yeah right)..quit around 5 or 6 pm and watched a movie, listened to music and went to bed. Good luck! It's not that bad!

Go over the buzzwords in the morning then spend the whole afternoon kicking back with friends and some really nice beer.

Anyone have any trouble sleeping? I am one of those people who gets a big knot in my stomach the night before a big exam like this one :( . With a little less than a week to go I am worried I will have trouble getting to bed the night before? Perspective...?

i do not have my exam until june 15th but i think that the day before im gonna just relax, play some golf or something. What has helped me is knowing that if i had to take the test this very minute, i would pass as im sure we all would, so for me at least thats a big load off right there. The rest is just icing on the cake. Of course we all want to do the best we can and for me i want to score the best that i can, but knowing im gonna pass helps to take some of the pressure off that ive put on myself.

i hope everyone on this forum does well