This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kaplanp

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am going into my second gap year and am applying for the next cycle. I have scribed and worked in research along with all of the other typical pre-medical/gap year jobs. I am moving to another state and am not looking for another $10-$15 per hour job. I was recently offered a job as an independent broker for a life insurance company that pays exceptionally well for someone with no experience. Does anyone have experience working a non-traditional gap year job like this? If so, how did medical schools view this? Any advice would be very helpful. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone. I am going into my second gap year and am applying for the next cycle. I have scribed and worked in research along with all of the other typical pre-medical/gap year jobs. I am moving to another state and am not looking for another $10-$15 per hour job. I was recently offered a job as an independent broker for a life insurance company that pays exceptionally well for someone with no experience. Does anyone have experience working a non-traditional gap year job like this? If so, how did medical schools view this? Any advice would be very helpful. Thanks.
Hi!

I was a science teacher at a middle school and a martial-arts instructor during my two gap years and it was constantly brought up during my interviews. I feel like as long as you can correlate experiences from your job to aspects in medicine, they'll like it a lot. For example, during my interview at WCUCOM, the admissions committee constantly asked me questions about why this was something I chose to do and how it correlates with medicine. I was telling them how it had made me comfortable and confident teaching individuals of varying backgrounds in a variety of setting. I also discussed how I had to understand what to target for each individual and create exercises that would optimize their progression, but in such a way where it was done in a timely manner during classes. So I basically elaborated how essential those skills are in the medical field, and how I can use it as a physician to interact with my patients. It was something that they were pleasantly surprised with as its not too common for applicants to have that experience.

Reactions: 1 users