How do medical schools view transfers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

anperry

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently an Engineering/Pre-Med student at a small state university in my hometown. Part of the reason I choose this school was because of finances (I was offered the most financial aid here) and the engineering program they offer is a pathway, of sorts, to an highly ranked engineering program at a larger nearby university. Essentially, I will study here (smaller university) for two years, and then transfer to other university to finish out my degree (I should mention, I just finished my first semester as a freshman).

The problem is, I made the decision to do this pathway program while I was only considering becoming an engineering. Now that I've decided to pursue medicine, I'm wondering whether having that discontinuity in m undergrad. education might be frowned upon/hurt my application.

I have a wonderful job now where I'm at, am in the process of applying for a medical scribing job locally, and have secured medical-related research for next semester, in addition to having a good GPA. So, I feel that I can really do well in the two years I'm at this smaller school. However, I'm just worried about starting all over at another university my junior year, in addition to the fact that the undergrad I'm currently at is lower-ranked/doesn't have many resources for pre-meds.

Essentially, I'm very confused about the best decision to make! Should I go ahead and transfer for my sophomore year?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm wondering whether having that discontinuity in m undergrad
No, you will be fine transferring! Though if you think it is going to be a miserable experience to start over somewhere new, then no reason to go through with it either as far as MD admissions. Might help to name the school(s) to be sure but if it is from a satellite campus to main campus or something, don't make the choice based on how MD admissions will look at it.

No, you will be fine transferring! Though if you think it is going to be a miserable experience to start over somewhere new, then no reason to go through with it either as far as MD admissions. Might help to name the school(s) to be sure but if it is from a satellite campus to main campus or something, don't make the choice based on how MD admissions will look at it.

Thanks for your reply!

I would be transferring to the university of illinois-urbana champaign from a nearby university. It's not a satellite/main campus sort of thing, but there is a somewhat established program between the schools for engineering transfers.