How do programs (OS) create their applicant rank list

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

helplessanon

Reaction score
Looking for information from those with an understanding of how this process works, specifically for OMFS residencies. How do programs create their rank list of applicants? I know everywhere is probably a little different, but there are also bound to be similarities and overriding patterns.

Programs say that once you get an interview there, everyone is on a level playing field. It is now up to the interview to determine who they feel is the best fit with the program. Is this true? It sounds nice, but are programs really deciding who the best fit is with a 15 minute interview? As I am finishing an interview, even if the interview is longer, I can't help but feel that the program couldn't have gleaned enough information about me or my personality to accurately rank me. If programs ask everyone similar questions ("Tell me about yourself, what are your strengths/weaknesses, why this program, why this specialty") can applicants' answers really be so different as to enable programs to say, "Wow, this person is definitely our #1 applicant and we do not want to rank that person"?

I understand it is largely about personality and cultural fit, but again, I don't know how well that can be gauged from brief, almost scripted interactions. Are CVs and scores really thrown out the window as soon as interview invites are sent out? Or are they still weighed in creating the rank list? If so, to what extent are they weighed and how does that compare to the weight of the interview?

Members don't see this ad.

From the other side, yes, we can get a pretty good idea of who you are from an interview day. Your activities on your app also demonstrate your personality. Skills can be taught, personality cannot. And it’s not from 15 minutes of watching you. We’re watching you the whole day, watching you at the social, we are asking your classmates and professors about you. OMFS is a small world, and there’s always a mutual person between you and us. I couldn’t give a damn what your CBSE score is beyond a certain level. I care about whether we are going to get along.

Reactions: 6 users
I can only speak for my program, but in general each applicant is interviewed individually by each attending, and by the upcoming chiefs. Immediately after the interview they jot down some thoughts, and give you an overall score based on your application and interview. The numbers from each person are added to give a composite score, and a rough rank list from those numbers is made. Then the faculty meet and discuss if they want to change the order based on how they felt about the applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like the rising chief's opinion of you matters a lot more than we think. All of us are qualified if we're receiving interviews. It may be more of a 'who do we want to deal with as an intern' type of thing.

Reactions: 1 user
We put their faces on a dart board and throw darts

Reactions: 1 user
From the other side, yes, we can get a pretty good idea of who you are from an interview day. Your activities on your app also demonstrate your personality. Skills can be taught, personality cannot. And it’s not from 15 minutes of watching you. We’re watching you the whole day, watching you at the social, we are asking your classmates and professors about you. OMFS is a small world, and there’s always a mutual person between you and us. I couldn’t give a damn what your CBSE score is beyond a certain level. I care about whether we are going to get along.
Why do all programs say their rank list is already complete at the conclusion of the interview / before the social? Is this to get applicants to let their guard down and be judged even more during the social?

Why do all programs say their rank list is already complete at the conclusion of the interview / before the social? Is this to get applicants to let their guard down and be judged even more during the social?
Maybe they do make it, I don’t know. Every program is different.

It's really quite simple. Do they like you and do they want to be around you for the next 4-6 years. That's pretty much it. Will you make their job easier or harder and do they like you as a person. This is how it was for endo. I imagine it would be similar for all other specialties.

Speaking from experience this year. After the interviews (each day of multiple) we all rank our candidates on who we likes the most. At this point it's usually based off of who we liked most since your scores were enough to get you into the interview. If there were any red flags or you gave any unsavory remarks during the interview you'll likely get an X on your face sheet that way when we're ranking we know that you weren't a favorable candidate. Meanwhile if you were a pleasant good interviewer you'll get a nice check mark and maybe a small remark like "top 5" or "top 10".

So at the end of the day after we're done with our 20 or 30 interviews and we gather round we already have an idea who our favorite pool of applicants are. And everyone who interviewed compares notes. For example if all faculty ranked one person bottom 20, but one person gave them a very high we'll discuss what red flag or interaction made everyone else rank them so low. I will say it's rare for an applicant to be ranked #1 by one faculty/resident but bottom 5 by everyone else. If this does happen it's likely because someone missed something in their application (such as a failed NBDE attempt or a disciplinary action etc).

Once all the discussion is done we'll average out the score each interviewer gave to each applicant, and a rough draft of the rank list is formed; then we discuss if the #1 is really #1 or perhaps the average ranked #3 was a better fit etc. That's why it's helpful to have a social before the interview, that way once you're done interviewing and you're fresh in everyones mind they can rank.

hope that helps clarify a little. And good luck.

Reactions: 7 users