How Do You Feel About...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr Lyss

Professional Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
... "special" attention (for lack of a better phrase) when you visit schools? I've noticed that many schools will send minority students to join the Q&A lunches and speak with any URM applicants or I will get invitations to meet with deans of minority affairs or be interviewed by someone in that office. I'm just curious if anyone else has had experiences like this and what you think about it.
-Lyss

Members don't see this ad.

At a couple schools they did that while I was there, had an extra interview or a post-interview questions wrap-up. I didn't think too much of it, I figured it is what it is and if they want me to talk to another person that's fine. To be honest it didn't influence my opinion of the schools either way it was just another thing to do on interview day.

... "special" attention (for lack of a better phrase) when you visit schools? I've noticed that many schools will send minority students to join the Q&A lunches and speak with any URM applicants or I will get invitations to meet with deans of minority affairs or be interviewed by someone in that office. I'm just curious if anyone else has had experiences like this and what you think about it.
-Lyss

This happens in residency interviews too. It's a way of making you feel welcome and perhaps providing a friendly face for you to contact should you have questions later. I can tell your from personal experience, being a minority in a profession does give you something in common with other minorities in that profession. Having someone who has gone through the maze is nice for fellowship and just to know that they have your back. This was one of the greatest things that I helped create while I was a resident for incoming minority residents. We just plain took care of each other in many ways and I have some dear colleagues and friends who are awesome.

Members don't see this ad :)
-Lyss

Every school I've interviewed at has a minority/diversity/"affairs" office. Since the point of this office is to reach out to minorities, I kind of expect this "special attention". Be it a mailing, an interview, an info session, a meeting with current students--there are a lot of ways for these offices to reach out to people. I mean, they all want to increase diversity in their classes, and the way to do that is to show that they have the institutional framework for minority support. In a situation where a meeting or an interview is offered, it's also a good way to show how active the office is--does it play a role in current students lives? Is there a greater financial and institutional support system in place for the office's mission? That helps me understand a bit about the school's philosophy.

At one of my interviews, while all the interviewees were in a room (about 20 of us), this girl came in and read off a list of 5 people to come with her. Of course I was one, and so were all of the other black and hispanic students who were in the room...it was kinda weird though how they did it.

It was a Q/A session with minority medical students btw.

I'm not really sure how I feel about it. I guess it's helpful to learn about the experiences of other URM, but it makes me feel segregated lol, especially when we (minorities) have to have lunch or Q and A sessions apart from the rest of the interviewees.

At one of my interviews, while all the interviewees were in a room (about 20 of us), this girl came in and read off a list of 5 people to come with her. Of course I was one, and so were all of the other black and hispanic students who were in the room...it was kinda weird though how they did it.

I'm not really sure how I feel about it. I guess it's helpful to learn about the experiences of other URM, but it makes me feel segregated lol, especially when we (minorities) have to have lunch or Q and A sessions apart from the rest of the interviewees.
this happened to me recently, except I was the only URM. It made me feel really uncomfortable which then prompted me to make this thread (although I appreciated hearing a minority's perspective of the school).

I can't say that I have dealt with this, especially seeing as though I have only been on one interview and my next interview is at a HBCU. But I can see how it could be extremely uncomfortable.

At a couple schools they did that while I was there, had an extra interview or a post-interview questions wrap-up. I didn't think too much of it, I figured it is what it is and if they want me to talk to another person that's fine. To be honest it didn't influence my opinion of the schools either way it was just another thing to do on interview day.

ditto

I dont like stuff like that. I'd rather they make the Q/A session with the minority medical students at the end of the day(with it being optional), IN ADDITION to whats already offered to all the other interviewees.

Yeah there is deifnitely a better way to do it than calling you out of all the other interviewees. That can only foster bad blood. At Vanderbilt I actually met with Dr. Hill before the interview day started, so I actually got to start my day with everyone else.