How does the AACOMAS application process/timeline work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicalMermaid

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello again everyone!

I am new to applying for med school and am a bit confused about how the application timeline works and was hoping someone could explain it to me.

I saw that the AACOMAS application for the 2016 cycle opened on May 2015 and then each school has a different deadline. Using NYIT-COM as an example, from my understanding, you must apply through AACOMAS by March 15, 2016, which is NYIT-COM's deadline. The school then reviews your information when they receive it sometime in June/July and give you their decision. If accepted, would you start class in Fall of 2016 or Fall of 2017?

I thought I should try to understand how this process works before I decide to apply for the next cycle.

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Here's what it might look for you if you're applying for the 2-16-2017 cycle (if accepted you would be starting school August of 2017):

May 5, 2016: AACOMAS opens. This is your primary application which will be sent to all the schools you designate.
June 15, 2016: Schools begin to process primaries. Even if you submit your AACOMAS on May 6th, schools won't really look at your primary app till this time (some even later).

**If schools are interested in you (some pre-screen for secondary applications, some do not), you will receive a secondary application (school specific) after they've processed your primary application. You will have a set amount of time to fill that out (again, the deadlines are school specific...your example for NYIT-COM might suggest that the deadline to submit a secondary next cycle would be March 15, 2017). Submitting the secondary back ASAP is to your advantage.

July-April: Interviews, decisions, etc.

August 2017: Start school!

Here's what it might look for you if you're applying for the 2-16-2017 cycle (if accepted you would be starting school August of 2017):

May 5, 2016: AACOMAS opens. This is your primary application which will be sent to all the schools you designate.
June 15, 2016: Schools begin to process primaries. Even if you submit your AACOMAS on May 6th, schools won't really look at your primary app till this time (some even later).

**If schools are interested in you (some pre-screen for secondary applications, some do not), you will receive a secondary application (school specific) after they've processed your primary application. You will have a set amount of time to fill that out (again, the deadlines are school specific...your example for NYIT-COM might suggest that the deadline to submit a secondary next cycle would be March 15, 2017). Submitting the secondary back ASAP is to your advantage.

Oh that sounds much simpler than i thought! Thank you so much!!

Members don't see this ad :)

I know it's important to get the AMCAS primary application in as soon as possible (early June). Is the urgency similar for the AACOMAS primary application? I'm just curious because I want to focus my time on the AMCAS applications first and then AACOMAS applications afterwards, but I'm not sure if I should spend time on both at the same time. Thanks!

I know it's important to get the AMCAS primary application in as soon as possible (early June). Is the urgency similar for the AACOMAS primary application? I'm just curious because I want to focus my time on the AMCAS applications first and then AACOMAS applications afterwards, but I'm not sure if I should spend time on both at the same time. Thanks!

Submitting early is always to your advantage. However, it sounds like you've got your priorities, so do what you think is best!

Is it really true that the DO schools only start looking at your application in June even though you can turn in the application in May? I haven't seen anything on DO schools' websites that states this.

Does the AACOMAS application open before May 5 to begin filling it out?

Does the AACOMAS application open before May 5 to begin filling it out?

Take this with a grain of salt as I am one-year removed from the application process, but I believe the answer to this is no. The application goes live in May and anytime before that it's still the previous year's application! I would check out the official AACOMAS website for the most current info! :)