This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dentalnoob

Reaction score
Hi everyone! since the cycle was just opened, i want to share my experience when i was applying to dental schools. When i was applying last year, I was on SDN NON STOP. I was nervous, scared, and full of questions. I'm here to share my experience on how i got into dental school with LOW GPA. If you have a GPA 3.5+, i don't think my advice will help you.

GPA:
first of all, i have a very low gpa. Below 3.0. When i graduated from undergrad, I had a 2.73 overall, my science gpa was even lower. My only option was post bacc or masters and i decided to attend a post bacc program. After taking classes for 2 quarters, I submitted my application with a 2.87 overall gpa. after i submitted my application, I still kept taking classes and did two academic updates. My gpa went from 2.9 to 2.97 (first academic update). and then my gpa went up to 3.01 after second academic update.
I actually failed couple classes at my undergrad. I failed Ochem 1 and 2, Chem 3, Bio 1 twice. On top of that I received some C's along the way. :(

Post bacc:
some of you are deciding between masters or post bacc programs. To be honest, everyone is different. I chose post bacc program because it was cheaper and it had all the classes i needed. I also think i should raise my undergrad gpa which masters don't do that. I took all the prereq courses at my undergrad and I took upper division classes in my post bacc program. I had a 3.98 overall and science gpa in my post bacc program.

DAT:
I took DAT for three times. First time was a fail. I had 17 AA and 17 TS (had couple 15s)
Second time i had 21 AA and 24 TS (but i had a 15 in reading)
Third time I had 24 AA and 27 TS :horns:
When your GPA is as low as mine, i recommend you study your DAT like you have no tomorrow. It should be your ONLY thing in your life. Forget shadowing, volunteering, and other activities. School and DAT should be your priority. If it weren't for my DAT, I would not have gotten accepted to any schools. (a lot of interviewers actually were impressed by my dat and non of them asked my failed classes)

Experiences:

In my experiences section, I put 14 experiences which include volunteering, enrichment program, and shadowing.
I didn't have any research experience and I did not work at any dental clinics. However, I did have over 500+ volunteer hours and 500+ dental shadowing hours. Most of my experiences were involved in helping the underserved community (schools love that).

Interviews:
For interviews, i would say at least prepare the basic questions. Like why dentistry? tell me about yourself, strength & weakness. What i did was that i watched couple youtube videos and wrote all the answers on my computer. I did memorize them and practice them out loud every day. Some people say don't memorize your answer but that worked the best for me. Again, everyone is different. everyone has different method so you should choose your own. During my interviews, a lot of them were pretty laid back but don't let that let your guard down. The most laid back ones were the ones that rejected me or put me on waitlist. and the hardest one actually accepted me. Luck plays a big part of your interviews. I would say interview is very much like Tinder. Once you got an invite, that means you and the schools have "matched". the actual interview is basically going on a date. If they like you, they will accept you. If they don't like you or not feeling it, they will reject you. DOESN"T MATTER if you have great experience or high DAT. If the interviewer doesn't like your answer, its game over.

I applied to 19-20 schools and I submitted my application in late July. i received 5 interviews and was accepted to 3 (2 in cali, 1 in NY). One of them was my first choice.
I know having a low gpa can be devastating. Trust me, i know. I was very disappointed in myself after college and it seemed like getting accepted to dental school was impossible. I calculated my gpa over and over. Every single day, i would come to SDN and look for those who got into dental schools with lower than a 3.0 GPA. But let me tell you, don't lose hope. Keep working on your GPA and DAT. you have a low GPA? keep taking classes. Show the schools that you can handle upper division courses and use upper trend as your advantage. Low DAT? keep studying and take practice tests. If you have a low gpa like mine, I would recommend study your DAT. Your GPA won't be overlooked but a high DAT will really help you.

For personal statement, i would suggest to have a THEME. Most of the people will prob have same reasons of choosing dentistry. Like parents were dentists, had horrible teeth in their childhood, or shadowed a dentist which inspired them. When you write your personal statement, try to think WHY you want to be a health care provider. Why do you want to HELP people? and then connect helping people to dentistry. We are going to be dentist and dentists are there to help the community. Dentists are doctors for a reason.

When you look at your application, think about what kind of red flags you have. If you have one, work on that. I also recommend you to attend enrichment programs or predental day to connect with the director of admissions. A lot of people said its important to let people at the dental school remember your name. For me, I'm not sure if that really helped me but i did go to A LOT of events hosted by my first choice of dental school. In the end, I got into my first choice. Its better to do more than to do less.

I know this journey can be scary and full of doubts. But trust me, once you give your all in this process, you will make it. Sometimes it does seem like going into a tunnel with no light at the horizon. You feel lost and don't know what to do if you don't get into dental schools. You sacrificed so much. You kept saying NO to your friends and family. Let me tell you, you are not alone. If you work hard, all your sacrifice would pay off.

I would suggest to not stop working on your application. Your application is not really complete if you have not receive that acceptance letter. ALWAYS ALWAYS work on your application and improve what you are lacking. I applied to 2 masters programs when i was applying to dental schools because i feared that I would not get into any schools. Its always better to prepare a back up plan than have nothing. If you don't get into dental school this year, make sure you have something new on your application for next cycle. I was lucky that I got into my first choice on my first try.:soexcited: Hang in there yall. If i can do it, so can you!
message me if you have any questions.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 82 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations. You deserve it for all of your hard work

Great story but what was your major? Are there still postbac options for those who already graduated with bio degree and still want to improve gpa? For the longest time i thought masters was my only option..

Great story but what was your major? Are there still postbac options for those who already graduated with bio degree and still want to improve gpa? For the longest time i thought masters was my only option..
My major was neurobiology (basically Bio). I chose post bacc because the grades you receive from the program will add towards to your undergrad gpa. Masters will only give you a new gpa and your undergrad gpa won’t be changed. Also, there are still post bacc programs you can apply. If you want to do masters, I recommend you apply to those schools that are connected to dental schools.

I do not think you wont get in if you have good GPA and DAT score and do bad in the interview. Most schools use a formula and the interview is around 20% of your total application.

Reactions: 1 user
OP, as someone with a low GPA and looking to start a Post-bacc then a masters, your post inspires me.

If I may ask, what was your initial science GPA and final science GPA?

I do not think you wont get in if you have good GPA and DAT score and do bad in the interview. Most schools use a formula and the interview is around 20% of your total application.
Definitely not. GPA & DAT & ECs help you land an interview, and your interview performance lands you an acceptance. If an applicant has good stats, got tons of interviews, but ended up being waitlisted at all of them, it's most likely because they interviewed poorly (sometimes it could be because of a red flag, but this doesn't happen often).

I'd say interviews are probably closer to 50-60% of your application. DAT & GPA help show schools that you can handle a rigorous curriculum, ECs show you are involved in your community, and your interview shows how you are as a person, and how you'd be as a dentist.

Reactions: 9 users
Hi everyone! since the cycle was just opened, i want to share my experience when i was applying to dental schools. When i was applying last year, I was on SDN NON STOP. I was nervous, scared, and full of questions. I'm here to share my experience on how i got into dental school with LOW GPA. If you have a GPA 3.5+, i don't think my advice will help you.

GPA:
first of all, i have a very low gpa. Below 3.0. When i graduated from undergrad, I had a 2.73 overall, my science gpa was even lower. My only option was post bacc or masters and i decided to attend a post bacc program. After taking classes for 2 quarters, I submitted my application with a 2.87 overall gpa. after i submitted my application, I still kept taking classes and did two academic updates. My gpa went from 2.9 to 2.97 (first academic update). and then my gpa went up to 3.01 after second academic update.
I actually failed couple classes at my undergrad. I failed Ochem 1 and 2, Chem 3, Bio 1 twice. On top of that I received some C's along the way. :(

Post bacc:
some of you are deciding between masters or post bacc programs. To be honest, everyone is different. I chose post bacc program because it was cheaper and it had all the classes i needed. I also think i should raise my undergrad gpa which masters don't do that. I took all the prereq courses at my undergrad and I took upper division classes in my post bacc program. I had a 3.98 overall and science gpa in my post bacc program.

DAT:
I took DAT for three times. First time was a fail. I had 17 AA and 17 TS (had couple 15s)
When your GPA is as low as mine, i recommend you study your DAT like you have no tomorrow. It should be your ONLY thing in your life. Forget shadowing, volunteering, and other activities. School and DAT should be your priority. If it weren't for my DAT, I would not have gotten accepted to any schools. (a lot of interviewers actually were impressed by my dat and non of them asked my failed classes)

Experiences:

In my experiences section, I put 14 experiences which include volunteering, enrichment program, and shadowing.
I didn't have any research experience and I did not work at any dental clinics. However, I did have over 500+ volunteer hours and 500+ dental shadowing hours. Most of my experiences were involved in helping the underserved community (schools love that).

Interviews:
For interviews, i would say at least prepare the basic questions. Like why dentistry? tell me about yourself, strength & weakness. What i did was that i watched couple youtube videos and wrote all the answers on my computer. I did memorize them and practice them out loud every day. Some people say don't memorize your answer but that worked the best for me. Again, everyone is different. everyone has different method so you should choose your own. During my interviews, a lot of them were pretty laid back but don't let that let your guard down. The most laid back ones were the ones that rejected me or put me on waitlist. and the hardest one actually accepted me. Luck plays a big part of your interviews. I would say interview is very much like Tinder. Once you got an invite, that means you and the schools have "matched". the actual interview is basically going on a date. If they like you, they will accept you. If they don't like you or not feeling it, they will reject you. DOESN"T MATTER if you have great experience or high DAT. If the interviewer doesn't like your answer, its game over.

I applied to 19-20 schools and I submitted my application in late July. i received 5 interviews and was accepted to 3 (2 in cali, 1 in NY). One of them was my first choice.
I know having a low gpa can be devastating. Trust me, i know. I was very disappointed in myself after college and it seemed like getting accepted to dental school was impossible. I calculated my gpa over and over. Every single day, i would come to SDN and look for those who got into dental schools with lower than a 3.0 GPA. But let me tell you, don't lose hope. Keep working on your GPA and DAT. you have a low GPA? keep taking classes. Show the schools that you can handle upper division courses and use upper trend as your advantage. Low DAT? keep studying and take practice tests. If you have a low gpa like mine, I would recommend study your DAT. Your GPA won't be overlooked but a high DAT will really help you.

For personal statement, i would suggest to have a THEME. Most of the people will prob have same reasons of choosing dentistry. Like parents were dentists, had horrible teeth in their childhood, or shadowed a dentist which inspired them. When you write your personal statement, try to think WHY you want to be a health care provider. Why do you want to HELP people? and then connect helping people to dentistry. We are going to be dentist and dentists are there to help the community. Dentists are doctors for a reason.

When you look at your application, think about what kind of red flags you have. If you have one, work on that. I also recommend you to attend enrichment programs or predental day to connect with the director of admissions. A lot of people said its important to let people at the dental school remember your name. For me, I'm not sure if that really helped me but i did go to A LOT of events hosted by my first choice of dental school. In the end, I got into my first choice. Its better to do more than to do less.

I know this journey can be scary and full of doubts. But trust me, once you give your all in this process, you will make it. Sometimes it does seem like going into a tunnel with no light at the horizon. You feel lost and don't know what to do if you don't get into dental schools. You sacrificed so much. You kept saying NO to your friends and family. Let me tell you, you are not alone. If you work hard, all your sacrifice would pay off.

I would suggest to not stop working on your application. Your application is not really complete if you have not receive that acceptance letter. ALWAYS ALWAYS work on your application and improve what you are lacking. I applied to 2 masters programs when i was applying to dental schools because i feared that I would not get into any schools. Its always better to prepare a back up plan than have nothing. If you don't get into dental school this year, make sure you have something new on your application for next cycle. I was lucky that I got into my first choice on my first try.:soexcited: Hang in there yall. If i can do it, so can you!
My question is what were study habits like?
Not necessarily if you used a program but how did you study?

I agree with aritst2022. Interviews are definitely important. There are tons of applicant that have similar great stats which is why they have interviews. Even though OP's GPA was low he was able to prove that he has it in him to succeed. He improved tremendously during his post-bacc and scored really high on the DAT. You have amazing perseverance and I am glad your story is on a happier note. You deserve it.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Amazing... currently I am at 3.47 and want to be at 3.6 by the time of application but I KNOW my DAT MUST be excellent!!! Thank you for this story. My goal is to NOT reapply and get into a school right away... it would be awesome if you could speak about your interview experience as well as what you used to study for the DAT or if you just reused materials each time. :)

You were very persistant, and your DAT clearly helped a lot, as well as your upward post bacc. Not everyone will be able to crush the DAT, albeit after 3 tries, the way you did. You were also well funded, applied broadly, and attended several interviews (which you prepared for...well done). Your post sounds like a recipe that those in your shoes should memorize and implement. Good luck in dental school. You sound very focused, which is what it takes to succeed.

Reactions: 1 users
Congrat.! If you don’t mind what school did you get into? Thank you for this post

Loved your story! It’s very inspiring! If you don’t mind me asking, what schools did you apply too and what schools did you get in from?

While this may be true from a formula perspective, having interviewed and sat for admissions meetings, I can tell you that you could check every box on paper, be a brick in real life, and not get a seat.

But then there are some I've met at my school and others who I'm shocked got in, so it's a crap shoot either way...

Reactions: 2 users
Great piece, and fabulous point on the interviewers "liking you."

The reality is that people will offer positions and acceptances to people they like, not to people with the highest GPA and DAT.

You need the numbers to get through the door, then you need them to like and remember you. :) Grats

I am in the same shoes as you right now. My GPA after post-bacc is 3.01 cGPA. My sGPA is even lower. I am so worried and losing hope. Your story inspires me alot and give my hope up high.
Could you tell me how you study and what materials you use, please?
When did you submit application? When did you hear back?
Many people suggested me to get master's degree, which I don't want to go that route at all.

Thank you so much!

I am in the same shoes as you right now. My GPA after post-bacc is 3.01 cGPA. My sGPA is even lower. I am so worried and losing hope. Your story inspires me alot and give my hope up high.
Could you tell me how you study and what materials you use, please?
When did you submit application? When did you hear back?
Many people suggested me to get master's degree, which I don't want to go that route at all.

Thank you so much!
Note that the OP had 3.98 in his postbac. If you have a strong upward trend like him coupled with a good DAT score, you will have a shot no doubt.

not true. this happens all the time.

Note that the OP had 3.98 in his postbac. If you have a strong upward trend like him coupled with a good DAT score, you will have a shot no doubt.

I got 3.80 in my postbacc. So I hope I will have a shot

GPA:

Post bacc:

DAT:

Experiences:

Interviews:

Thank you for sharing!! Very inspiring!

GPA:

Post bacc:

DAT:

Experiences:

Interviews:

Hi OP! Your post made me feel a lot better, because my application GPA and GPA after 1st academic update have been exactly the same as yours! Although my DAT is a bit lower (23 AA, 22 TS) I'm hoping other areas of my application will make up for that. May I ask, though, when exactly it was you heard back from those schools? I also applied late July and haven't heard anything, so I'm beginning to get nervous...

GPA:

Post bacc:

DAT:

Experiences:

Interviews:

before you did your post bacc, did you apply to any schools beforehand?

I've done interviews for my dental school. Every school is different. In our school, once someone got an interview, then the interview is the only thing that matters.

I've done interviews for my dental school. Every school is different. In our school, once someone got an interview, then the interview is the only thing that matters.
This seems to make the most sense. Once you have an interview, you've hit the minimum criteria. Seems logical that at that point they would push the rest of the stats to the side (for the most part) and focus on the interview.

This seems to make the most sense. Once you have an interview, you've hit the minimum criteria. Seems logical that at that point they would push the rest of the stats to the side (for the most part) and focus on the interview.
Exactly, why is it that a lot people with “just stats” don’t get interviews? Because at that point, they liked someone well rounded enough to compete for the spot in their class.

GPA:

Post bacc:

DAT:

Experiences:

Interviews:

lol thanks for that repost-- it's a great reminder to stay positive!

May sound really random but were you dating or in a relationship during this phase and if so how did you balance it all

You are Awesome man. I retook the DAT and got 20 AA and 21 TS (but i had a 15 in reading) , But my GPA is around 3.7. Hope I can get into some schools.

GPA:

Post bacc:

DAT:

Experiences:

Interviews:

I needed this post SO MUCH. Thank you.

GPA:

Post bacc:

DAT:

Experiences:

Interviews:

Thank you so much for sharing your story, I definitely needed it! Do you have any advice on retaking the DAT and what you did differently the 2nd and 3rd time around?

Your story is so inspiring and I commend all of your efforts. Did you have to retake the classes that you failed in your undergrad? Or did most dental schools look over it since you did well on the science sections on your DAT?

GPA:

Post bacc:

DAT:

Experiences:

Interviews:

How long did you study for your DATs?
And can you share what resources helped you the most? 27TS is solid..

Great post!!! Congrats!!! Im on the same boat, what kind of post bac program you applied to?

Definitely not. GPA & DAT & ECs help you land an interview, and your interview performance lands you an acceptance. If an applicant has good stats, got tons of interviews, but ended up being waitlisted at all of them, it's most likely because they interviewed poorly (sometimes it could be because of a red flag, but this doesn't happen often).

I'd say interviews are probably closer to 50-60% of your application. DAT & GPA help show schools that you can handle a rigorous curriculum, ECs show you are involved in your community, and your interview shows how you are as a person, and how you'd be as a dentist.
I 100% agree!!!!

Just wanted to add my 2 cents:

Second time, non-traditional, applicant - last year I applied to 8 schools, most of them fairly difficult to get into (my mistake). This year I applied to 16, with only 2-3 being what I personally considered 'reach' schools; however, maybe every school is a reach school for me.

Stats: 2.65 undergrad GPA(2.1 GPA after my first two full academic years - academic probation twice, low point spring of 2nd year - 1.44 GPA), 3.77 Grad GPA, overall 2.89. DAT: 24 TS/24AA
Shadowing: 400+ hours
Volunteer: 1000+ hours over a decade
Experiences: Medical scribe, Dental assitant - 1 year each. I worked full-time during my graduate/thesis coursework, which I thought was important to include with an improved graduate GPA.
Division 1 athlete

These are just a few points. If you're curious as to more or would like any advice, I will do my best to help you.

Oh, p.s. I got one interview last year and one interview this year, at the same school both times, and was accepted by them this cycle! After a long, stressful, several year stretch, I did it... so far....

Reactions: 4 users
@B4SS Congrats on your acceptance! when did you apply? also are you an URM? I would definitely love to know more on how your got in, since I am in a similar situation. Thanks

Just wanted to add my 2 cents:

Second time, non-traditional, applicant - last year I applied to 8 schools, most of them fairly difficult to get into (my mistake). This year I applied to 16, with only 2-3 being what I personally considered 'reach' schools; however, maybe every school is a reach school for me.

Stats: 2.65 undergrad GPA(2.1 GPA after my first two full academic years - academic probation twice, low point spring of 2nd year - 1.44 GPA), 3.77 Grad GPA, overall 2.89. DAT: 24 TS/24AA
Shadowing: 400+ hours
Volunteer: 1000+ hours over a decade
Experiences: Medical scribe, Dental assitant - 1 year each. I worked full-time during my graduate/thesis coursework, which I thought was important to include with an improved graduate GPA.
Division 1 athlete

These are just a few points. If you're curious as to more or would like any advice, I will do my best to help you.

Oh, p.s. I got one interview last year and one interview this year, at the same school both times, and was accepted by them this cycle! After a long, stressful, several year stretch, I did it... so far....

Congrats! Your story is very inspirational! What grad program were you in? Did you apply to dental school right after your undergrad or wait until you finished your grad program?

I had the same experiences although my application year was 1994. My overall GPA was 2.95 at interview and 3.00 final, science GPA was about 2.75 (not remember exactly) and DAT was 98th percentile. I felt during that time college professors were "weeding out" many students and I struggled to get a C in many science classes. I came from a poor, rural HS where I took practically 4 yrs of chemistry and became clueless in the 2nd week of college chemistry. I had to study like crazy for the DAT and on my single interview, they viewed me as lazy and uncommitted to school work. I constantly had to defend myself and showed them my improved academic performance while taking elective higher level sciences like microbiology and biochemistry.

Patients don't care if you know the Krebs Cycle but they may be impressed if you know the latest peer-reviewed studies of dental materials and less traumatic surgical techniques. Patients would be more impressed by the level of care and chairside manners you provided.

@B4SS Congrats on your acceptance! when did you apply? also are you an URM? I would definitely love to know more on how your got in, since I am in a similar situation. Thanks

I applied in July to as many schools as I could afford. I am not an URM.

Congrats! Your story is very inspirational! What grad program were you in? Did you apply to dental school right after your undergrad or wait until you finished your grad program?

I did a master's degree in molecular nutrition. I took 2 years off after undergrad to work as an analytical chemist, then got into the master's program because of a connection I had. My organic chemistry professor became the dean of the department and wrote me a beautiful letter of recommendation and was actually stunned when my adviser questioned her about my grades because she thought I was a very strong student academically, but nonetheless, helped me get into the program. I took a gap year because I wanted a second full year of my graduate GPA, but did not get into any dental schools, so it took me 2 years after my master's degree. I think a big positive was that I had previously interviewed at the school with rejection, but stayed in contact with them, asking them why I did not get in, and reiterated my desire to be a dentist, so when they re invited me for a second interview the following year, I had a connection and proof of my desire to attend their school. I was frank with the dean of admissions and they said, look, you had a really poor interview last year, so kill it this year, and I would love to get you in the program. I guess I did much better this year with my interview!

Hi this is very encouraging.
I am a veteran who was pre-dent through freshman and sophomore year at the University of Michigan while studying engineering and got C's in Gen Chem and Gen Bio then transferred to another college because I depressed from the weather in the midwest and could not get it together and failed Orgo and Genetics. Then I gave up on Pre-Dent then went to the military. Before I left the military my GPA was about 2.00 (without calculating the GPA from the school I transferred to, which would make it even lower) when I returned to Michigan in 2017 I switch my major to Data Science and graduated with 2.61 in 4 semesters with a minor in Applied Statistics. I am currently working in financial services industry and would like to go back and try to get into dental school. But I know since my GPA is so low (including all attempts I'm sure my cumulative GPA will be below 2.5 and science GPA is lower than that)

I just had a call with Cleveland States' Post Back Program Director and she said from what she knows for most dental school even if I have upward trend and crush it at post bacc because my GPA is still below 3.0 most likely I won't get in. In your opinion do you think Career Changers, First Generation College Student, Culturally disadvantaged, Military Veteran, Upward GPA trend, etc. any of these really play a big part? I am already taking a huge risk by stopping my career to try to get into Post Bacc, but I am willing to because Dentistry is my passion.