How Important Are Stats post-interview invite??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1074310

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Luckily, one of my four interviews is at the absolute number one program that I’d like to match, but I was recently told by a resident they really value step scores and grades (bottom quartile). My question is, can a stellar interview make up for these scores? (No) Am I playing from behind when compared to the other interviewees with great stats, even though we all made it to the interview? (Yes) Any advice would be greatly appreciated! (Apply more broadly)

Answers in ( ).

Members don't see this ad :)
This is sort of a unique situation. Not sure how it will go with regards to interviews - are they in person? Zoom?

If you can secure an interview that’s a big first step for someone with marginal scores, you have a foot in the door. For my program, we blinded our interviewers to stats (sort of, unless mentioned by letter writers which for high stat folks it often was) which helped but the main meeting took it all into account.

This will be less of an impact if it’s virtual interviews as programs can interview literally as many as they want. Going to be a strange cycle, that you can bet on.

The harsh reality is that your scores are not competitive. This cycle may be whacky but from sitting on the admissions committee, we expect to take more "home" students than in the past. I would apply and avail yourself as widely as possible and pray. Anesthesia has become ever increasingly competitive. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user
This is sort of a unique situation. Not sure how it will go with regards to interviews - are they in person? Zoom?

If you can secure an interview that’s a big first step for someone with marginal scores, you have a foot in the door. For my program, we blinded our interviewers to stats (sort of, unless mentioned by letter writers which for high stat folks it often was) which helped but the main meeting took it all into account.

This will be less of an impact if it’s virtual interviews as programs can interview literally as many as they want. Going to be a strange cycle, that you can bet on.

they’re all via zoom. I’m wondering if I should bring it up or let them ask

Stats aren't everything, but you're running at a disadvantage compared to other applicants. Your plan should not be to expect impressive applicants to just flop in their interview. You'd better have the most interesting life story in the hospital, plus research, plus volunteer work, plus leadership, plus x factor.

Virtual interview is definitely not the same as in-person interview. During the in-person interview day, you are watched from the moment you set your foot on the door until you leave. Every interaction - with PC, residents, and fellow applicants is used to get a good feel for applicants. This sounds silly, but these "meaningless" interactions do play a big role in judging an applicant on the interview day. After all, interviews are all about "the feel" and seeing how the person will fit with the residency program. This also meant that applicants could potentially influence the rank position based on their interview day performance if they really knocked it out of the park with the fit.

Virtual interviews are great for exchanging information, but is limited in the ability to assess the subjective feel that you can get from in-person interviews. Not saying it is impossible, but this will make it more difficult for applicants to really sell themselves to the programs. At the same time, programs won't be able to thoroughly evaluate candidates as well either. Given this, if I have to make a guess, I would agree with above posts that programs will likely to have bias towards their own students. I will go one step further in saying that students with better objective measures will also be favored too, more so than in the past. It all comes down to programs not wanting to risk having subpar residents or residents at risk of failing board exams, and the safest way for them to recruit is to go with their own students whom they know well or with high scoring applicants who likely will not have any issues passing boards.

One thing that is likely working in your favor is that programs are likely interviewing more applicants than in the past because applicants are simply applying to more programs - more overlapping applicants across the country and puts programs at risk of going further down the match than usual. You may be included in the broader net. It is still early, but I would be active about reaching out to programs if you don't hear from them by thanksgiving. Lastly, 220 on step 1 is about 40th percentile, but 220 on step 2 is close to bottom 10-20 percentile since passing for step 2 is close to 210. That is a significant drop, so I would explain it to the programs during interview. Hopefully programs will be understanding and will look past it, although being bottom quartile isn't helping you make your case either...

Having said all that, assuming you are an USMD, I think you will be fine with matching. If you are really concerned, I would apply to several community programs if you haven't included them on your list already. Good luck.

Stats aren't everything, but certainly helpful. I know some programs rank based on Step 1 regardless of how well the interview went. Other programs look for good fits or a comprehensive view of the candidate. This was when I was in residency. From what I'm told, everything is more competitive now.

Apply broadly, go do a 2nd(First) look If and when the state of healthcare allows. Handwritten thank you cards are good in my opinion. May be old school as it takes more effort and intentionality than an email. It would get my attention.

I wouldn’t even know where to begin If I were a current student. I feel for you guys. Just play the game as best as you can.

Apply broadly, go do a 2nd(First) look If and when the state of healthcare allows. Handwritten thank you cards are good in my opinion. May be old school as it takes more effort and intentionality than an email. It would get my attention.

I wouldn’t even know where to begin If I were a current student. I feel for you guys. Just play the game as best as you can.

funny I say the same thing to my younger cousins applying to college. Admissions is getting more complex and competitive at every level. I appreciate the advice though! I was fully planning to send a hand written letter to my top choices

funny I say the same thing to my younger cousins applying to college. Admissions is getting more complex and competitive at every level. I appreciate the advice though! I was fully planning to send a hand written letter to my top choices
Solid.
Also. If your application is not the strongest , they're ALL your top choices. I’d advise to rank them all and write them accordingly.

Are Handwritten letters to top programs still a thing this year with the pandemic and snail mail being slow? How do you know whether or not a PD or residency admissions committee member has received your love letter with so much of the staff i.e such as the PC working from home and not being in office?