how important is non med-related volunteering?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

freakiecookie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know most applicants do research, doctor shadowing, etc. But I am curious how favorably (or neutrally) adcoms look at other (non-medically-related) types of volunteer work? Such as volunteering with children, being a tutor/mentor, or any number of other random things one can do.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I know most applicants do research, doctor shadowing, etc. But I am curious how favorably (or neutrally) adcoms look at other (non-medically-related) types of volunteer work? Such as volunteering with children, being a tutor/mentor, or any number of other random things one can do.

Helping others for free is overrated. Just some humor.... ;)

Helping others for free is overrated.

Actually it can be viewed as a significant positive, like an activity, if you can speak meaningfully about it during the interview and if it's clear that you invested a significant amount of time or thought, not just doing it to check off a box on a checklist.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually it can be viewed as a significant positive, like an activity, if you can speak meaningfully about it during the interview and if it's clear that you invested a significant amount of time or thought, not just doing it to check off a box on a checklist.

More than that, there are a few schools out there that will actively inquire about non-health related volunteering at interviews. If you see this kind of thing mentioned in the school's mission statement, it's a tip off that it probably matters there.

it can never hurt :)

It depends, probably, on the school and on the rest of your profile. Non-medical humanitarian activity could "warm up" a research-heavy profile in the eyes of a primary-care-oriented school; a research-oriented place might not care so much. (Or they might like to see someone who knows that there's a way to help the world that doesn't involve bench work...)

I've heard that experience in education--paid or volunteer--is often considered an asset because doctors do so much teaching (whether or not they're in academic medicine). So, if you have a choice, give serious consideration to a tutoring gig.

Just to add to what the others have said, Non-heath volunteering also makes it seem like you really like to help people and are not just jumping through the hoops that medical school wants you to.

Just to add to what the others have said, Non-heath volunteering also makes it seem like you really like to help people and are not just jumping through the hoops that medical school wants you to.

...but make sure you jump through the hoops too >).

They are looking diverse applicants. There are quite a few applicants who are just hardcore science and who have a long string of medical experiences. Those who have done something non-medically related seem to stand out.