How long it will take to self learn: SN1, SN2, E1, E2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Strutter

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hear that most of the organic chemistry is nomenclature, and SN1, SN2, E1, and E2 reactions.

I haven't taken any organic chemistry. However, in my first year chemistry course, I learned nomenclature (of all functional groups), stereoisomers, chiral compounds, primary secondary tertiary carbons and alcohols, and many reactions (not sure if this is part of SN1, SN2, E1, and E2), markonikov's rule, and some others.

I did well on the organic chemistry portion of first year chem.

I have the Organic Chemistry As A Second Language as a resource.

How long would it take to learn and understand SN1, SN2, E1, and E2 reactions? My PCAT is in August, and I'm currently taking 2 courses, and volunteering.

Members don't see this ad.

it depends on the individual, most people can pick it up easily, and most cant. Regardless, you have a lot time to prep before the Aug PCAT test.

Hi OP,

it takes five minutes to learn SN1,2 E1,2.

http://www.cliffsnotes.com/study_gu...sms.topicArticleId-23297,articleId-23255.html (SN 1&2)
http://www.cliffsnotes.com/study_gu...ons.topicArticleId-23297,articleId-23258.html (E 1&2)

22876.nfg004.jpg

see how the nucleophile [Nu:-] approaches the molecule and the leaving group (L) leaves. Simple right? SN1 means L leaves first, SN2 means L leaves second, after the Nu has attached. The only difference is whether one happens first or second.
---

Its practically the same thing with E1 and E2. abstraction of a hydrogen and the movement of those electrons toward the carbocation to make a double bond./
22866.nce010.jpg

E1 means the Bromine (leaving group) leaves first, E2 means the bromine leaves after the hydroxide has already abstracted the proton.
---
Think about 1 and 2 as when the leaving group leaves.
1 means leaving group leaves first.
2, means leaving group waits until attacked to leave second.
Who knew it would be so simple right?

Maybe 5 minutes to go over the basics but you want to know the details because there are circumstances like acidic solution, sterically hindered leaving group, etc., etc., that influences the reaction.

So a couple days should do it but that's not enough because you want it in the working/long term memory. Regular problem solving for a couple of weeks in addition to periodic review of the concepts will put you in tip top shape. +/- a few days, weeks, or months of course.