How many hours?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lzbthcox

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been digging and can't seem to find the answer to my questions, so I apologize for another question in advance.

I just got the invite to shadow a dentist. I'm a freshman. This is my first time. How many hours should I shoot for with this dentist? As long as he allows before my invite is revoked? ;) Or should I go for a more specific number? Also, since I'm a freshman, when should I ask for an LOR? Should I wait until I actually apply and just mention it now? Do you think he would remember 3 years from now?

I'm just curious if I should cap at a certain number of hours with him and move on to another dentist or how I should go about this. It's a small town. He has one of the few practices around here. Any thoughts?

If you find this info on another post, that I couldn't find... please direct me and feel free to delete. xD
Thanks,
Liz

Members don't see this ad.

Since you're a freshman, you fortunately still have some time. I would say spread out your hours. The number of hours you should ask this dentist is determined by how much time you have available to shadow him? The more hours you get, the better it is for you (since you'll get to see more this way and a better sense of the dental life). As for LOR, don't ask for one until you plan on leaving the office? It's probably better to stick around for awhile so that he can write a lot of good things about you. My advice is to shadow him and if you don't like it, only then do you search for another one?

Just my opinion.

Don't dedicate all your time and energy shadowing...I would think 100 hours is enough, this is because you can use that time to add other things to your app. Good luck.

I wouldn't spend more than 30 hours at any one office. By then you should have seen how they do things there and heard all the advice you can use. It's best to move on to another office. If you're in a small town and have few options, well you have to do your best w/ what you've got. I had an othodontist relative in another state connect me w/ dentist friends while I stayed at his house for a week. Try to dig up any sort of connections you may have. After 2 GP's, definately spend some time at some specialties. Ortho, OMS, and Perio for sure. Total hours I spent shadowing was about 100.