how many rounds should i apply before i call it quits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey, szhao's negativity actually helped me out. The guy has better stats and ECs than I do except I had a higher verbal score and maybe more research. I am also and engineer, but I don't have 3 majors :eek:. Seeing his negativity about his own situation helped me stay positive about my own until the acceptances started rolling in pretty late in the cycle.
I got into 5 programs, including 3 top 10s, which incidentally were also my top 3 choices from the beginning.

Szhao is a perfect example of how negativity kills. To be so accomplished, yet fail. Szhao's interviewing style is suspect. Turning down a Yale interview? Where are his parents on this?

This is an incredibly DOUCHE post. "He helped you out?" Don't you think he's feeling pretty 5hitty right now? I can't believe you actually typed what you have typed.

Do you really think he was negative DURING interviews? Do you really think that he acted like he wasn't going to get in WHILE he interviewed? You are incredibly shortsighted if you believe he would shoot himself in the foot like that.
Its his friggin mdapps profile. Its not like he turns in his mdapps profile while he interviews. You are inredibly naiive if you think having a postive outlook/negative outlook is the benchmark for if you are going to be accepted or not. (realize that almost all applicants are going to act positive and confident while they interview, regardless if they are optimistic or pessimistic).

Members don't see this ad.

This is an incredibly DOUCHE post. "He helped you out?" Don't you think he's feeling pretty 5hitty right now? I can't believe you actually typed what you have typed.

Do you really think he was negative DURING interviews? Do you really think that he acted like he wasn't going to get in WHILE he interviewed? You are incredibly shortsighted if you believe he would shoot himself in the foot like that.
Its his friggin mdapps profile. Its not like he turns in his mdapps profile while he interviews. You are inredibly naiive if you think having a postive outlook/negative outlook is the benchmark for if you are going to be accepted or not. (realize that almost all applicants are going to act positive and confident while they interview, regardless if they are optimistic or pessimistic).

Word dude. That was not an awesome post. :thumbdown: :thumbdown: I fail to see how someone else's anxiety makes you feel more confident/positive, particularly when they have admittedly better stats. Seeing amazing applicants get WLed or rejected only freaks me out... but to each his own.

wait i beg to differ.

i think durfen's post was not trying to hate on sczao but rather to prove a point. Confidence in a doctor is perhaps one of the most important characteristics.

being a self depricating eeore(sp? the donkey) sit there *sniffling*isnt going to get you anywhere. man up and have faith in yourself jeeez. same rules apply to getting :love:

Members don't see this ad :)
lol...wow, this thread went really negative really fast...not my intention when I bumped it.

Wow... Just wow. I used to lurk around SDN a lot, so I've seen a lot of szhao's posts, and I have NEVER HEARD HIM SAY A SINGLE MEAN THING ABOUT ANYBODY. In fact, oftentimes, when all you guys are beating up on some poor soul, he often steps up to defend that person. He is possibly one of the top 10 nicest people I have seen on SDN. And now you're insulting him and saying that you can infer from his typing style that he has no balls and interviews in a dress? I mean, seriously. I don't like to sound judgmental, but I can't sit here and say nothing while you gang up on a nice person like that. Would you ever talk like that to someone's face?

Would you ever walk up to someone in real life and, based on the way they talk or the way they dress, tell them that you don't think they're masculine enough? I mean, who appointed you the arbiter of who's "masculine enough" and who's not? We live in a diverse world; didn't your parents ever teach you not to mock people who look different or talk differently from you? Look past the style, and focus on the substance for once. Sure, szhao may talk sort of funny, but his actions are always kind to others, which is more than I can say for some people. Not to mention that the Gollum comparison was playground-bully-ish and gratuitously cruel (Isn't kindness at least as important in a doctor as confidence is?), and had nothing to do with your feigned concern about szhao's "lack of confidence." Probably part of the reason why szhao talks the way he does is because he is a non-native English speaker, so mocking him for his speech patterns can make a person sound ignorant/prejudiced.

Also, from what I understand, szhao's posts didn't start to sound "negative" until quite late in the application cycle, when things had started to look grim for him. That's not excessive negativity; that's realism. If you've just been rejected by almost all the schools you applied to, acting "confident" that you'll get in somewhere is rather unrealistic. So I think it highly unlikely that "negativity" was the iceberg that sank his ship. I'm done here. Sorry for the rant.