How many seats are available by late January?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tony101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there still a good amount of seats in most medical schools? Are interviews in late January usually for the waitlist or are there still a decent amount of sets open? Essentially do interviews become much more difficult and the chances of getting a spot much slimmer by late January?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Are there still a good amount of seats in most medical schools? Are interviews in late January usually for the waitlist or are there still a decent amount of sets open? Essentially do interviews become much more difficult and the chances of getting a spot much slimmer by late January?
A lot of schools are still interviewing for spots

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
only 25 seats left.

Reactions: 5 users
But has it become much more difficult for acceptance? That's what I'm wondering.
Yes rolling admissions means that more spots are being filled so less spots for new people. Your chances get worse as time goes on

Reactions: 1 user
Yes rolling admissions means that more spots are being filled so less spots for new people. Your chances get worse as time goes on
You see now I'm wondering, how much more difficult but I'm sure that's impossible to tell because each school is so different lol
I was just wondering if late Jan means the chances of getting picked are extremely slim, essentially are interviews almost pointless by then

only 25 seats left.
What an exact estimate, you must be a genius! ^.^

The odds would vary at each school. There will always be some students who accept and then drop. You also have MD applicants with great credentials who submitted DO apps in Nov/Dec and are interviewing now.

Would I say pointless, no, as I knew some who interviewed in early March and got seats, but at this point it's like catching a falling scalpel without getting cut, and the lights are growing dimmer with every day. Some may get lucky but those will be the exceptions, others will just bleed and perhaps learn better for next cycle.

The odds would vary at each school. There will always be some students who accept and then drop. You also have MD applicants with great credentials who submitted DO apps in Nov/Dec and are interviewing now.

Would I say pointless, no, as I knew some who interviewed in early March and got seats, but at this point it's like catching a falling scalpel without getting cut, and the lights are growing dimmer with every day. Some may get lucky but those will be the exceptions, others will just bleed and perhaps learn better for next cycle.
Are you saying the month of January are for exceptions? lol I'm just wondering for that month

Are you saying the month of January are for exceptions? lol I'm just wondering for that month
Ok. You got to chill. No one can tell you the exact chances of getting in anywhere. Are there still seats? Yes at most places. Can anyone tell you your chances at this point? Nope. All we can do is wish you luck and hope for the best.

Reactions: 2 users
Ok. You got to chill. No one can tell you the exact chances of getting in anywhere. Are there still seats? Yes at most places. Can anyone tell you your chances at this point? Nope. All we can do is wish you luck and hope for the best.
You're right, I must relax ^.^ I'm just overthinking it is all

At my schools, we're still fine for open seats. We don't start getting picky until Mar/Apr.

Reactions: 3 users
At some schools yes, at some probably not as much. Don't get stuck on January, as each day the odds against you increase by some unknown amount. As stated no one can give you odds, so let it go.

They are dependent on each school, AND your application, and even some luck, so we can't tell you! The only guarantee is that you won't get accepted if you don't apply and there are application cutoff dates posted.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk