How much student loan you got? how much is too much??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pencilandpen

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hear so many people with 100k plus loans, really curious to see the reasoning behind peoples decision to take out that much loans. How much loan is too much?
I graduated from Rutgers 2 years ago as an in state student and had 45K in loans. Did Not think too much of it at first until after started working and realizing the difference between "making" and actually taking home.

I met fellow grads from this other for profit school of pharmacy in my state with 150k plus in loans and I just feel so bad for them having student loans eat up all their take home pay for the next 10 years

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I went to private school. Took out $180,000. It ballooned to $220,000 after graduation. Currently at $135,000. I'm paying $4,400 monthly towards by loan. Will finish paying off by summer 2020.

Reactions: 4 users
I went to private school. Took out $180,000. It ballooned to $220,000 after graduation. Currently at $135,000. I'm paying $4,400 monthly towards by loan. Will finish paying off by summer 2020.

Holy shat u know 4400 is pretty much my entire take home pay after deductions and 401k

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
just graduated, 190k in debt. it sucks and i would never do it again. but, it's not that bad. when you're taking home $5-6k a month you can easily afford to put $2-3k per month into loans and still have enough left over to have fun and buy stupid stuff. paying off loans in 10 years is reasonable

I graduated from Rutgers 2 years ago as an in state student and had 45K in loans.

If you were a 0+6 student, your situation is not really generalizable. Rutgers reports the first 4 years of their program as ‘undergraduate’ when it comes to financial aid packages available, including loans. Students then only have to use the less attractive graduate loan options for 2 years.

That’s very different than those who have a full 4 year undergrad of loans followed by a full 4 year graduates loans.

plus, rutgers pharmacy is hard as chit to get into and graduate from, and it's not worth it. pharmacy in general is not worth getting into at this point. just pack the bags and close em, there are far better options out there

Reactions: 3 users
plus, rutgers pharmacy is hard as chit to get into and graduate from, and it's not worth it. pharmacy in general is not worth getting into at this point. just pack the bags and close em, there are far better options out there

I think if you can get into a public school as an instate and graduate with low loans pharmacy is still worth a shot. It gets questionable when loan amounts start to go north of 150k

I hear so many people with 100k plus loans, really curious to see the reasoning behind peoples decision to take out that much loans. How much loan is too much?

I graduated years ago had taken out 7 k in a loan, held onto most of it, paid it off within a year. Many classmates took out around 100 k. I don't think pharmacy students don't give it much thought and don't have the business acumen to evaluate if its a good investment. With the market saturated defaults will start to go up.

Here is a different paradigm: take out little to no loans, graduate in an in demand field, and make your financial goal investing 200 k not just paying off loans.

I think if you can get into a public school as an instate and graduate with low loans pharmacy is still worth a shot. It gets questionable when loan amounts start to go north of 150k
nope, not worth it. why? because this:

fc625ffa3086a178e2c4efc5ff8fdba8.png

i don't need to say more

Holy shat u know 4400 is pretty much my entire take home pay after deductions and 401k

I earn $6,888 after tax. I followed Dave Ramsey advice and stop 401k contribution until loans are paid off. I will be increasing to $5,000 a month in September after paying off last credit card. I feel really poor all the time with only $1,000 in the bank at most but it's worth the sacrifice to be free from debts.

I earn $6,888 after tax. I followed Dave Ramsey advice and stop 401k contribution until loans are paid off. I will be increasing to $5,000 a month in September after paying off last credit card. I feel really poor all the time with only $1,000 in the bank at most but it's worth the sacrifice to be free from debts.

Do you get a 401k match? I would contribute at least up to the amount which you do get matched. It's essentially free money from your employer.

I would build up a miniumum of six months of emergency funds. It's great that you're paying off your debt ASAP but you never know if you will get laid off, fired, or have your hours cut in this saturated, unstable job market.

Reactions: 7 users
this is why you pick up a side hustle or have higher aspirations for your income instead of just working as a salaried pharmacist for decades and then dying. start a business, get into internet marketing, start applying yourself in other ways. you do that and you'll pay off your debt in reasonable time, and still have plenty of money in the bank

Members don't see this ad :)
this is why you pick up a side hustle or have higher aspirations for your income instead of just working as a salaried pharmacist for decades and then dying. start a business, get into internet marketing, start applying yourself in other ways. you do that and you'll pay off your debt in reasonable time, and still have plenty of money in the bank

I'm too anxious and my type A personality won't allow me to do anything else while I have student loans. I'm good at multitasking in my job but not in life. I rather sacrifice for next 2 years and take care of loans first before moving on to next thing. I you follow Dave Ramsey, he emphasizes paying off debt over everything else in life.

Do you get a 401k match? I would contribute at least up to the amount which you do get matched. It's essentially free money from your employer.

I would build up a miniumum of six months of emergency funds. It's great that you're paying off your debt ASAP but you never know if you will get laid off, fired, or have your hours cut in this saturated, unstable job market.

I don't plan to have more than $1,000 in the bank for the next 2 years. As the matter of fact, until the next paycheck I have $200 in bank right now. Dave Ramsey actually does not advocate having too much money saved up before debts are paid off. Having little money actually creates a sense of urgency to payoff debt faster and prevents you from having temptation to spend and buy things.

I'm too anxious and my type A personality won't allow me to do anything else while I have student loans. I'm good at multitasking in my job but not in life. I rather sacrifice for next 2 years and take care of loans first before moving on to next thing. I you follow Dave Ramsey, he emphasizes paying off debt over everything else in life.
wow. suit yourself then i guess. i know people like you. incredibly type A, they can't see past anything. i don't understand the lifestyle. i would rather apply myself in other areas, focus on building myself while i'm working full time. so that in a few years time there's potential that i will be thriving instead of continuing to just skim along and dumping all of my money into loans. there is more to life than just starving yourself for years to pay off loans

Reactions: 2 users

No offense, but Dave Ramsey is a dumb@ss extremist.

You put away in a 401k to the match and save 3
months of expenses cash in a liquid account.

Having zero debt but no cash in an emergency does you no favors.

Not taking advantage of the time horizon afforded to young people when investing will mean I will have MUCH MORE money than you at the exact same retirement age. 401k contributions are capped at $18,000/yr (with annual adjustments) regardless of your debt, and Ramsey ignores the tax implications of failing to maximize that.

Do yourself a favor and stop listening to that fool, and learn about finance yourself.

Maybe if you make $60k a year he makes sense. I’ll give him that much credit.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 11 users

You’re doing pretty bad active financial damage to yourself and your future. Please stop doing this.

Two years is not too bad. I am all for paying your debt ASAP but you have to realize you are spending your prime years studying and working. Life will just pass you by. It is a horrible way to live your life.

Not taking advantage of the time horizon afforded to young people when investing will mean I will have MUCH MORE money than you at the exact same retirement age. 401k contributions are capped at $18,000/yr (with annual adjustments) regardless of your debt, and Ramsey ignores the tax implications of failing to maximize that.

Do yourself a favor and stop listening to that fool, and learn about finance yourself.

I am so glad someone said it. I began a similar post but gave up after I realized I couldn’t articulate what I wanted to say. Well said sir, well said.

Oh and btw for anyone keeping score I paid off all my student loans within 5 years of graduating so I am totally on board for paying extra towards loans and making sacrifices. But I definitely did not do it by forgoing 401k. That’s madness.

Who on earth passes up free money and thinks they are making good finatual decisions!? So you save what, 3-4% annually on student loans assuming you refinanced to a lower rate and all you had to do was skip getting >50% return on investment on 401k?! SMH

Finished with 170k all from Pharmacy school. Started paying Jan of 2016. Currently at 19k left! Going to be done in 2-3 months. Then on to the wifeys loan which is about 40k after that i’m free, thank god almight i’ll be free at last.

Reactions: 3 users
Finished with 170k all from Pharmacy school. Started paying Jan of 2016. Currently at 19k left! Going to be done in 2-3 months. Then on to the wifeys loan which is about 40k after that i’m free, thank god almight i’ll be free at last.

wow good job on the loans, u will be free, that is until you decided to buy a home and take out mortgages lol

you can easily afford to put $2-3k per month into loans and still have enough left over to have fun and buy stupid stuff.

And this is why most Americans are broke.

Plan your retirement kids before buying "stupid stuff"

Missing two years in retirement isn’t the end of the world. He will be fine if he plays through.

Dave Ramsey’s plan works if you follow it. His plan addresses the root cause of most financial problems: behaviors. Disagree if you like, but his plan has gotten more people out of debt and probably made more millionaires than anyone’s else.

Missing two years in retirement isn’t the end of the world. He will be fine if he plays through.

Dave Ramsey’s plan works if you follow it. His plan addresses the root cause of most financial problems: behaviors. Disagree if you like, but his plan has gotten more people out of debt and probably made more millionaires than anyone’s else.

I agree with you about Dave Ramsey, but still he should at least do the 401k match. Most companies do 5% match, so put away 5% of your money in 401k it automatically doubles to 10%. and 5% deduction should not significantly put a dent into that aggressive loan repayment plan.

I graduated from Rutgers 2 years ago as an in state student and had 45K in loans. Did Not think too much of it at first until after started working and realizing the difference between "making" and actually taking home.

I met fellow grads from this other for profit school of pharmacy in my state with 150k plus in loans and I just feel so bad for them having student loans eat up all their take home pay for the next 10 years

I graduated in 2015 with ~90k (spent 120k actually) even though I went to a state school. They are down to 35k now. I thought about paying them off but I figured, at 3.5%...there is no rush.

you should be happy if you can pay off loans within 10 years, anything earlier is just a bonus. i don't plan to live like a poverty man eating ramen noodles every night just so i can put an extra $500-1k per month to my loan. would you rather live like a piece of chit for 5 years and pay off your loans or live a pretty comfortable and fun life for 10 years and pay them off

I agree with you about Dave Ramsey, but still he should at least do the 401k match. Most companies do 5% match, so put away 5% of your money in 401k it automatically doubles to 10%. and 5% deduction should not significantly put a dent into that aggressive loan repayment plan.
Agree, at least do the 5%. Thats what i’m doing now and in about 2.5 years i’ve got close to 60k in my 401k.

And this is why most Americans are broke.

Plan your retirement kids before buying "stupid stuff"
I love how we are all making over 100k but somehow Macdonalds workers live a more luxurious life than most of us lol

I echo the other posters who said not to ignore your 401-k. Yes, it is a bad idea to max it out, when you have debt to pay off. But you need to at least be putting in the minimum so you get the match from your employer--it is asinine to say no to that free money. And yes, living from paycheck to paycheck is a bad idea, you need to have some emergency funds set aside (does Dave Ramsey really say not to have an emergency fund? That is crazy!)

I echo the other posters who said not to ignore your 401-k. Yes, it is a bad idea to max it out, when you have debt to pay off. But you need to at least be putting in the minimum so you get the match from your employer--it is asinine to say no to that free money. And yes, living from paycheck to paycheck is a bad idea, you need to have some emergency funds set aside (does Dave Ramsey really say not to have an emergency fund? That is crazy!)

No. You can google his baby steps.
Baby step 1 is a $1000 emergency fund. This isn't enough, but its temporary.
Baby step 2. Pay off all debts, smallest to largest,
Baby step 3. 3-6 month emergency fund
Baby step 4: 15% of gross income going to retirement,
Baby step 5: kid's college
Baby step 6: pay off the house early with extra money above 15%.

The reason to say no to employer match is to completely focus on step which step 1, 2 or 3 (4, 5 an 6 are done at the same time). If you focus on something, you will see traction, and sacrifice more to get out of debt faster.

Missing a match is a bad thing, but as a short term plan to get your house in order to win is worth it. In the scope of your life, 2 years is nothing.

buying stupid stuff is part of feeling alive, you should try it some time

You have so much to learn. What do you think we can do since we have so much financial freedom?

Don't live broke.

No. You can google his baby steps.
Baby step 1 is a $1000 emergency fund. This isn't enough, but its temporary.
Baby step 2. Pay off all debts, smallest to largest,
Baby step 3. 3-6 month emergency fund
Baby step 4: 15% of gross income going to retirement,
Baby step 5: kid's college
Baby step 6: pay off the house early with extra money above 15%.

The reason to say no to employer match is to completely focus on step which step 1, 2 or 3 (4, 5 an 6 are done at the same time). If you focus on something, you will see traction, and sacrifice more to get out of debt faster.

Missing a match is a bad thing, but as a short term plan to get your house in order to win is worth it. In the scope of your life, 2 years is nothing.

The power of compounding. 20k will turn into 250k after a 40 year career.

That's assuming you only did the $5k match. Bump it to $15k with a $5k match and you're looking at $500k. (2 years of investing instead of forgetting about it)

Missing 2 years of 401k contribution is nothing when you consider how much extra I'll have after paying off student loans. With money free up for investment, I can easily play "catch up" within 1 year or less. Dave Ramsey is an extremist and I know his teaching is not for everybody but I can assure you paying off debts is the greatest feeling. Ever since I incorporated his teaching into my personal life, I managed to pay off my car and all my credit cards. The only debt I have left is student loans. I have become so cheap and not buy anything on credit or splurge on "unnecessary" materials. This actually brings me happiness for some reason.

Yup. He said to only save up to $1,000. Payoff all debts except mortgage. THEN, save for 3-6 months of Emergency fund. It's working well for me so far. I managed 1 one year to payoff 4 credit cards and brand new car. Student loans paid down from $220,000 to $135,000 as of today.

Missing 2 years of 401k contribution is nothing when you consider how much extra I'll have after paying off student loans. With money free up for investment, I can easily play "catch up" within 1 year or less. Dave Ramsey is an extremist and I know his teaching is not for everybody but I can assure you paying off debts is the greatest feeling. Ever since I incorporated his teaching into my personal life, I managed to pay off my car and all my credit cards. The only debt I have left is student loans. I have become so cheap and not buy anything on credit or splurge on "unnecessary" materials. This actually brings me happiness for some reason.

You hear this all the time. What actually happens though?...... They end up spending even more.

Look i'm all for getting loans paid off but you need to do it correct.

Live with your parents, keep your costs to a minimum. Invest first then pay off your loans with what's left.

You don't spend and pay off loans, you save and pay off loans.

I followed Dave Ramsey to pay off my debts, but actually I still did my 401k match and some investing at the same time. Find a balance between debt, investing and spending that you're personally comfortable with, but most importantly stay motivated and intentional about your finances. You'll also have to learn about investing and taxes, and Dave Ramsey is pretty bad on those topics so you'll have to look elsewhere.

...you stopped getting a literal 100% return on investment on 5% of your income so you'd pay off student loans faster?

...you stopped getting a literal 100% return on investment on 5% of your income so you'd pay off student loans faster?

Yup sound stupid right? Or maybe not. What is the weird logic behind this? Most people don't understand why Dave Ramsey said to this but it makes 100% sense. First of all, my company only match up to 3%. 3% of my income even with company match is not better than putting that 3% into my current $135,000 student loan. 3% into a $135,000 principal when you consider the fact loans interest are compounded daily is actually MORE financially effective than putting away that 3% with company match. I did not believe in this concept at first because mathematically it doesn't make sense. I started doing this a year ago and it's amazing how quickly putting any extra amount of available money into loans will bring down the principal and save on interest. It feels like an Avalanche because your debts is falling bigger and bigger by the day.

Yup sound stupid right? Or maybe not. What is the weird logic behind this? Most people don't understand why Dave Ramsey said to this but it makes 100% sense. First of all, my company only match up to 3%. 3% of my income even with company match is not better than putting that 3% into my current $135,000 student loan. 3% into a $135,000 principal when you consider the fact loans interest are compounded daily is actually MORE financially effective than putting away that 3% with company match. I did not believe in this concept at first because mathematically it doesn't make sense. I started doing this a year ago and it's amazing how quickly putting any extra amount of available money into loans will bring down the principal and save on interest. It feels like an Avalanche because your debts is falling bigger and bigger by the day.

Hmm $135k loan now vs $250k extra in retirement later. Which sounds better?

Pharmacists are paid well enough to invest for retirement while also aggressively paying down debt. You don't have to pick one over the other.

Reactions: 6 users
Explain to me how you are going to "catch up" on the 3% free money that your employer was going to give you to invest? You literally cannot. It's impossible. You have left that money on the table, it's gone forever. No matter how much you invest in the future you will never be able to get that free money again.

But you say it makes you happy to do what you are doing, and in the end it is your life to live. So I am happy for you that you are happy. I just hope that people (who hold doctorates for goodness sake) are not tricked into thinking that it is financially suave to do this. At least do the match people.

Reactions: 4 users
There are many threads about this. I think I've responded to several. I graduated with about 100k in student loans. I averaged 34-36 hours/week at CVS and paid them off in 2 years. I refinanced twice after shopping around. It wasn't that hard. I lived in a modest apartment ($1200/mo split with my wife), kept my paid-off used car, only ate out once or twice a week etc. I contributed up to the match for 401k. I could have done it faster if I worked 40+ hours/week, but I value life outside of work more. Some people prefer to make minimum payments and invest, or plan to have them forgiven or whatever. For me, it was a huge weight off my shoulders to pay them off and I sleep better at night.

Now we have a surplus of cash. We paid for our wedding, saved up a down payment and bought a house, max out retirement accounts (401k, HSA, backdoor Roth IRA), and anything extra goes to taxable brokerage. I'm now considering treating the mortgage as a student loan and paying it off aggressively vs investing in taxable account.

IMO, any full-time retail Rph should be able to pay off their student loans within 5 years or less easily.

I think I ended up with $160k. Out of state tuition sucks. I started out paying $3k/month for the longest time, but then I got married, bought a house, etc. Because of that, I made some adjustments. Remaining balance is somewhere around $30k (out of school for 7 years). I don't pay near as much per month as I previously did toward my loans. The day will be sweet when the final payment is made. I can't wait.

Yes, Dave Ramsey is a dumb ass. Follow him if you want to lose a chunk of money, and you won't even notice it. This is why financial literacy is important so you aren't blind walking on this earth getting ripped off left and right.

Loans double than rphs yearly income will be too much. So, anything past 250k is too much. Everyone who has a full time job should be able to pay it off in a reasonable amount of time (4-10 yrs).

The question becomes "Will you have a full time job offer in this market?"

IMO, any full-time retail Rph should be able to pay off their student loans within 5 years or less easily.
i'm gonna have to push back on that, full time pharmacists should be happy if they can pay off their loans within 10 years, anything earlier is a bonus.

not everyone only has 100k loans. i know plenty of people with over 200k loans. this forum is not an accurate representation of the typical pharmD student. these kids will rack up TONS of debt, especially if they go to private schools. i personally am at 190k and see to pay that off within 6-7 years preferable.

really, it depends on how much per month are you willing to put into your loans. you can knock down loans within 5 years, but at what cost? you basically live like a piece of chit for 5 years. sounds super fun right? you go to school for 6 years eating ramen box noodles and stealing napkins from restaurants because you're too poor to afford otherwise. then you get a full time 6 figure job but you're still struggling because now all your money is dumped into loans.

don't be an idiot. treat yourself to a good life. have reasonable funds, buy a few stupid stuff here an there, but don't go crazy about it. then put enough money to pay off your loans in 10 years + the extra money that happens to be left over.

i still stand by my original statement: buying stupid stuff here and there is good for your health. do you want to be an uptight chit hole that cannot enjoy their life because they are trying to save every penny? or do you want to be a normal person with a few hobbies that you spend your money on?

i'm gonna have to push back on that, full time pharmacists should be happy if they can pay off their loans within 10 years, anything earlier is a bonus.

not everyone only has 100k loans. i know plenty of people with over 200k loans. this forum is not an accurate representation of the typical pharmD student. these kids will rack up TONS of debt, especially if they go to private schools. i personally am at 190k and see to pay that off within 6-7 years preferable.

really, it depends on how much per month are you willing to put into your loans. you can knock down loans within 5 years, but at what cost? you basically live like a piece of chit for 5 years. sounds super fun right? you go to school for 6 years eating ramen box noodles and stealing napkins from restaurants because you're too poor to afford otherwise. then you get a full time 6 figure job but you're still struggling because now all your money is dumped into loans.

don't be an idiot. treat yourself to a good life. have reasonable funds, buy a few stupid stuff here an there, but don't go crazy about it. then put enough money to pay off your loans in 10 years + the extra money that happens to be left over.

i still stand by my original statement: buying stupid stuff here and there is good for your health. do you want to be an uptight chit hole that cannot enjoy their life because they are trying to save every penny? or do you want to be a normal person with a few hobbies that you spend your money on?

Just for clarity, if "stupid stuff" is a few hundred dollars here in there that's fine. I'm talking about these people that buy a car right when they get out of school.

Life should always come first but you aren't rich now that you are a pharmacist.

Yup. He said to only save up to $1,000. Payoff all debts except mortgage. THEN, save for 3-6 months of Emergency fund. It's working well for me so far. I managed 1 one year to payoff 4 credit cards and brand new car. Student loans paid down from $220,000 to $135,000 as of today.

What the hell. You skip contributing to a 401k but you bought a brand new car????

My God what are they teaching you.

Reactions: 8 users