How old is OLD for dentistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Balki

The Perfect Stranger
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that this question has come up on numerous occasions. however I need your help guys. What do you think is old and not a realistic age to peruse dentistry. What is a realistic age ? Can you give an example of some one changing career at a later stage in their lives? What careers were the changed from?
If you can throw in few advices on how to do this more successfully, I'll appreciate it greatly. Like how did you/someone you knew go about studying
for DAT, went back to school etc.

Thank you for your feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

One dean of admissions told me that a 47 year old was in their entering class for last year. :thumbup:

Sorry I'm not familiar with more details about this case, though.

Just started dentistry in Germany and believe me, there is no age limit!

We've got one guy, a music teacher, in his mid-30s and another one in his mid-40s, who has been working in all kinds of branches all over the world and wants to learn a real job now.

Members don't see this ad :)
We have had a few 50+ come through. I think the oldest here now is 44. Who cares how old you are. If you want to do dentistry and get into dental school, then go for it. No one is going to say anything to you for trying to better yourself, and if they do, then they are probably jealous that they can't go back to school and persue a dream. :D

Many 30+ yr olds in my class and a few in their 40's. There are people in my class with tons of different careers before school - hygienist, engineer, programmer, IT professional, stockbroker, pharmacist, real estate agent, teacher, and many more. I definitely wouldn't let your age deter you; the admissions committee will probably look very favorably upon your maturity and life experience.

Thank you for your feedback.