How old is to old?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sandra

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm 42yrs. Ever since I was a child I always have had a passion for medicine and have always wanted to be a physician. For the past 22yrs I have been a CNA. I will be enrolling in a liberal arts college to take courses in pre-med and get my bachelors. I'm not getting any younger. I did entertain the thought of going to a overseas school but decided it's just to risky. I'm divorced and my children are on their own. My question is what do you guys think about this? I'm I to old? I do appreciate any thoughts you may have. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Sandra said:
Hi guys,
I'm 42yrs. Ever since I was a child I always have had a passion for medicine and have always wanted to be a physician. For the past 22yrs I have been a CNA. I will be enrolling in a liberal arts college to take courses in pre-med and get my bachelors. I'm not getting any younger. I did entertain the thought of going to a overseas school but decided it's just to risky. I'm divorced and my children are on their own. My question is what do you guys think about this? I'm I to old? I do appreciate any thoughts you may have. Thanks.

No, you are not. There is a forum here devoted to applicants that are not fresh from college "nontraditional"

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=110

Sandra said:
Hi guys,

I will be totally honest with you in that you might face age discrimination when it comes time to apply to medical school and later residency.

Medical school is very much like high school and classmates can be downright evil if they sense you have any weakness (regardless of age). Depending on the residency, residents harbor the same level of evil. Instructors (both basic science and clinical) can be evil also and refuse you help through the skilled use of passive resistance.

One way to counteract these roadblocks is to have excellent grades and a high energy level and to keep fit. You must also be extremely resourceful in learning material on your own since no one will offer you extra help because of your age.

So if you are willing to suffer the misery of medical school and residency (and have an excellent support system and outside interests), I say go for it. There is definitely job satisfaction working with the rare patient who is appreciative of your efforts.

Members don't see this ad :)
I say--go for it. I know several people in their late 30s and early 40s that are just now starting Med school. There was a guy in my interview group at NSU that had to be close to your age (I actually would have guessed that he was mid-40s). You will never know if you don't try--so good luck!

Sandra said:
Hi guys,

Hi there,
You WILL NOT be discriminated against (age) for residency or medical school as long as you are a competitive applicant. You need to do very well in your courses and you need to score well on your MCAT and prepare a good application that shows you in the best light. I was 45 when I applied to medical school and I got into the six medical schools that I applied to. I also matched very well in General Surgery after graduation from medical school.

You need stamina, interest and good study skills. Do well and get good solid advice in terms of good supportive medical schools. I applied to medical schools that had diverse classes; good faculty who were interested in the professional development of the students and innovative curriculums.

You might also benefit from a professional medical school admissions counselor who can advise you at every step of the process. It is useless to spend thousands in tuition only to make mistakes in the preparation of your application that might cost you a slot. I too, went to a very good liberal arts college for my undergraduate degree (Mary Washington College). I learned how to learn efficiently which served me well in medical school.

Good luck and check out the "Non-Traditionals" section of these forums. There is also a sister website <www.oldpremeds.net> that is totally geared to the older student. Your fate is totally in your hands and based on your level of achievement. If medicine has been your dream, pursue it and do not let anyone talk you out of it.

njbmd

Sandra,

DO IT! You don't want to be a granny rocking in your rocking chair some day regretting that you didn't try! I almost didn't attempt it myself thinking I had an abysmal chance of getting in... to my surprise it's been the opposite.

If it's your dream, and you want it bad, make it happen for yourself. Everything you've done up to now has been preparation for it. PM me if you'd like to talk some more...

But, again, as the Nike commercial says... Just do it! The worst that can happen is you won't get accepted (doubtful) and you will feel satisfied with yourself that you made the attempt.

Good luck!

:luck:

I have a theory that I was accepted because the mean age of my class is very low...they needed someone to provide "balance". ;) Being 10 years older than the majority of my classmates, I notice many differences between some of us- the obvious ones like having children, being married, having had another career, etc. But there are also amazing similarities- like having children, being married, having had another career!

My point is that we're not all that different from the "traditional" applicant.

And you know what- I feel younger since I went back to school!

If you are too old then so am I... and I start in the fall at the age of 42. It's all what you make it. Go for it.

No Age is too Old.
I work in Interventional Radiology (it is a sub-speciality of radiology ) at one of the medical centers in midwest. One of the fellows in my department is 55 years old and he started medical school at the age of 45. He was an investment banker on wall street for 20 years and later decided to go medical school. He spend 4 years in medical school, 5 years in radiology residency and 1 year in fellowship. I asked him once whether it was worth it to go through all this and he said it was worth every minute because for the next 15-20 years he would do what he really enjoys doing. Someone else would say 20 years in not a lot but if you would have to do something which you don't like it would be a lot. So it is better to do something which you like for just 20 years than to do something which you don't like for 30 years.

Do well in your classes and on MCAT and you would be all set for the medical school.Nothing is more impressive than real life experience.

Sandra said:
Hi guys,

You are in good company at UNECOM... and I suspect in many of the other osteopathic schools as well. (I am less familiar with MD programs but I suspect their trends are also changing). I will be 40 very soon and there are at least 4 people in my class that are older than myself. Past classes here have had students well into their 40's, some beyond. Its all about you and what you bring to the profession. Your CNA experience of 22 yrs and the desire to follow through with a BA and then a medical degree should speak volumes to any adcom worth their salt. Very good grades and MCAT score (notice I did not say great) should put you in the competative range. A couple of nice LOR and anything can happen!
Good Luck!

I will be 43 when I start medical school this fall. You are not too old. More and more adcoms are looking for people with life experience. As a physican you will be making life and death decisions. Adcoms are seeing the value in the older applicant who has had to make some hard decisions in their life beyond where to go for spring break this year. Don't sell yourself short, if this is your dream, go for it and don't let anything stand in your way. So what if you're 50 when you graduate. You will be 50 anyway. Do you want to be 50 and a CNA (and I was a CNA for 18 years before getting into med school)? Or be 50 and a physician? The choice is yours.

Don't let people scare you off. I did not experience any negative reaction with regards to my age during the application or interview process. Your biggest challenge will be within yourself, how bad do you want it? Self doubt and trying to size yourself up against others will destroy you. Do your best, learn all that you can, enjoy the undergraduate process, express your passion for medicine and people will take note and be impressed. Good luck!

Go for it. Life's a journey, and the adventure is what makes it fun. Fu.. it. Just go for it.

cfdavid said:
Go for it. Life's a journey, and the adventure is what makes it fun. Fu.. it. Just go for it.

im currently a masters student and one of my duties it teaching undergrad classes......i have many older people in my classes comming back to do pre-med classes, mostly after thrir kids have grown up....and i think its a beautiful thing. my father was 36 when he started med school finished when he was 40 and did not start a residency till 48, and he had a family, kids bills, a house etc.........where there is a will there is a way ...........U BETTER GO FOR IT BUDDIE!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Your kids are on your own, so you don't have to worry (as much) about them anymore. So you will be 50 when you are done with residency. You will have about 15 years to practice. Hopefully you will pay off your loans by the time you retire and have enough to live happy life. I am sure you had thought about that. I guess it depends what is your phylosophy, but I think life is a journey, not a destination, so I think you SHOULD to go to med school or you will always regret it. I really admire you and other older pre-meds for wanting to go back to school. :thumbup:

There is no such thing as too old in my book. As long as a person is able to handle the rigors of a residency, I would not deter them from applying. I'm serious. If Clint Eastwood wanted to be a doc, I would tell him to go for it.

Go for the gold, do what you want, and don't let anyone hold you back from your dreams.

Don't forget, doctors can work as late in life as they choose. Many practice part-time into their 70s and 80s.

I'm entering in August at 38. Good luck to you :luck:

Sandra said:
Hi guys,

I personally think that you are too old and should not apply. Let someone young get a spot that can actually contribute to society.

YOU HAD YOUR CHANCE.....

APPLEBITE said:
I personally think that you are too old and should not apply. Let someone young get a spot that can actually contribute to society.

YOU HAD YOUR CHANCE.....

Well, with an opinion like this, I doubt you'll get very far.

APPLEBITE said:

YOU HAD YOUR CHANCE.....

This is the attitude I tried to warn you about. You will get plenty of this, so be prepared!

If it is something you wanna do go for it. Just be aware that you will prob have a large amount of debt after graduating and may spend most of your working years as a doc paying it off

GuyLaroche said:
Well, with an opinion like this, I doubt you'll get very far.

hey now are you serious ?????

THIS LADY IS 42 ~~~~!!!

That means she will be 43 when she starts, 48 when school is over, 52-55 when she is done with her residency........

NOW MY GOD how is she going to be able to make a strong contribution to society if she is 55 working 80 hours a week ???

YOU people are crazy for being rude to me. This is obvious. She is too old to do this and a younger more deserving person should get her spot.

Why should we take a spot from a youth to give to an old fart who just needs a hobby.

Have you tried golf lady????

Your selfish for even thinking about this.

:smuggrin:
pratik7 said:
If it is something you wanna do go for it. Just be aware that you will prob have a large amount of debt after graduating and may spend most of your working years as a doc paying it off

She will probably die at age 62 having worked as a doctor for an entire 4 years and leave her children with $200,000 + debt.

Real responsible lady.

I swear. You old people had your chances in life and you blew them.

Its out time now.

Get a hobby, go on a cruise, move to Florida, I DONT CARE, just dont hog the medical schools up for the rest of the folks here.

selfish old people.

Things APPLEBITE hates :

Salesmen,
real estate agents,
old people taking young peoples opportunities............

people are going to be really mad at me but ITS THE TRUTH.

These are your spots that these old farts are taking !!!

Speak up or lose out. :smuggrin: :thumbdown: :smuggrin:

APPLEBITE said:
:smuggrin:

She will probably die at age 62 having worked as a doctor for an entire 4 years and leave her children with $200,000 + debt.

Real responsible lady.

I swear. You old people had your chances in life and you blew them.

Its out time now.

Get a hobby, go on a cruise, move to Florida, I DONT CARE, just dont hog the medical schools up for the rest of the folks here.

selfish old people.

Things APPLEBITE hates :

Salesmen,
real estate agents,
old people taking young peoples opportunities............

people are going to be really mad at me but ITS THE TRUTH.

These are your spots that these old farts are taking !!!

Speak up or lose out. :smuggrin: :thumbdown: :smuggrin:

You're a punk. You want a spot, compete for it. If you can't outcompete her, shut your trap, infant.

For all you know, you could get a spot and get run over on the way to your car after graduation. Life has no assurances. Judging from your posts, you'll never contribute much to society, so giving you a spot would really be wasting it.

MoosePilot said:
You're a punk. You want a spot, compete for it. If you can't outcompete her, shut your trap, infant.

For all you know, you could get a spot and get run over on the way to your car after graduation. Life has no assurances. Judging from your posts, you'll never contribute much to society, so giving you a spot would really be wasting it.

Hold on, Moosepilot. I think we've found something we agree on. :thumbup:

GuyLaroche said:
Hold on, Moosepilot. I think we've found something we agree on. :thumbup:

In other news, I heard Hell was having a cold snap... :laugh:

Dude for your sake I hope you are just trying to "tweak" people and get them all riled up over your obviously over-the-top comments. If this is the case, you got us, we fell for it. If not, get a grip on this---

The youth, let alone any individual in this country, is not "owed" squat (other than the right to freedom and the PERSUIT of happiness. You also have the right to say all the dumb crap you want without fear of censorship). Other than that you have to work for it. If you measure up, you win the prize. If not, you have other choices to make. Youth in and of itself entitles you to diddly squat (except the opportunity to make the excuse, "I am too young to truly know what I don't know.)

Welcome to the 21st century my friend. The rules are changing. Medicine has increased our life expectancy. Seniors are rapidly growing in numbers and there are fewer and fewer of the "enlightened youth". With each passing year every one of us will be competing with older individuals for jobs and spots in academic programs. Its time to stop whining and get on with the business of being the best you can be.

Again, if you are just trying to get a rise out of the people in this post --- bravo!! Well done. You got me. If not, I hope you never become a doctor. Becasue an individual with this kind of attitude would make a very bad doctor.

age is relative

Hi Guy's,
Thanks so much for all the kind and encouraging words. I am so looking forward to this. One poster said life is a journey not a destination how true that is. I wish all of you the best of luck. Thanks again. ;)

One last word of advice: don't apply anywhere in Ohio.

MoosePilot said:

Ive already been accepted.

I think that you must be another one of these older people wanting to get into a school. Pothetic if you ask me.

HOW CAN YOU OLDER PEOPLE ACTUALLY CONTRIBUTE TO SOCIETY IF you are 60 years old when you start working.

I think your all just bored with life and your "LOOK AT ME" people.

And quit reading my other posts if you cant handle the truth because I havent lied in these forums yet.

GET A HOBBY. Learn how to knit or play shuffleboard or do something else. Dont waste peoples time by going to medical school just so you can get out and practice 2 years and die.

And yes, any of us can get hit by a car at anytime. However, I am so much younger than you that I will be the one that is capable of 1. seeing the car, and 2. sprinting out of the way....

SO I DESERVE MY SPOT.....all you deserve is a :thumbdown: for taking a young persons spot.

Join a church or move to florida or something..... :laugh:

A resident is a doctor and is already making a contribution to society as a doctor. So this woman will be a 48 year old doctor. Big deal...

If she does a FP residency she will be practicing in the community at the age of 51. Women are generally healthier than men so she could practice till the age of 74 or beyond.

If she really wants to do it there is nothing stopping her.

APPLEBITE said:

I really feel sorry for your future geriatric patients. BTW the word is "pathetic", not "pothetic".

robkoller said:
Dude for your sake I hope you are just trying to "tweak" people and get them all riled up over your obviously over-the-top comments. If this is the case, you got us, we fell for it. If not, get a grip on this---

The youth, let alone any individual in this country, is not "owed" squat (other than the right to freedom and the PERSUIT of happiness. You also have the right to say all the dumb crap you want without fear of censorship). Other than that you have to work for it. If you measure up, you win the prize. If not, you have other choices to make. Youth in and of itself entitles you to diddly squat (except the opportunity to make the excuse, "I am too young to truly know what I don't know.)

Welcome to the 21st century my friend. The rules are changing. Medicine has increased our life expectancy. Seniors are rapidly growing in numbers and there are fewer and fewer of the "enlightened youth". With each passing year every one of us will be competing with older individuals for jobs and spots in academic programs. Its time to stop whining and get on with the business of being the best you can be.

Again, if you are just trying to get a rise out of the people in this post --- bravo!! Well done. You got me. If not, I hope you never become a doctor. Becasue an individual with this kind of attitude would make a very bad doctor.

Seriously, my comments are not over the top other than the hobby comments.

I honestly believe that older people should not take seats in medical schools.

Lets face it. Why are they doing it??? Because they have failed throughout life. Is that the kind of people we want to fill medical schools with? FAILURES?

They had their chances. Theres no way in heck that they are going to be productive members of society.

Ill give you this...... If a person is over 42 and wants to go to medical school they should have to sign a contract that they promise to work in the most rural areas of the country or they can only do research.

That would be fine with me. Otherwise they are holding back younger medical students which have more opportunities to do more with their lives!

IF YOU DONT AGREE ITS BECAUSE YOU ARE one of these older students.

And you are very selfish.

YOU HAD YOUR CHANCE !
Every school has a class where the old person sits in front and asks the most stupid questions and holds up class time, etc.

Thats all youll be good for. Plus, HAVE YOU THOUGHT OF THIS????

Unless you have the money to start your own business, ABSOLUTELY NO ONE WILL HIRE YOU.

I PROMISE YOU THAT. but thats ok,,,,, YOULL SEE> :eek:

MD'05 said:
I really feel sorry for your future geriatric patients. BTW the word is "pathetic", not "pothetic".

Well you got me on that one !

Thanks. I wont win any spelling bees any time soon.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

APPLEBITE said:

Unless you have the money to start your own business, ABSOLUTELY NO ONE WILL HIRE YOU.

:laugh:

Well if you think that a practice would not be delighted to hire a 48 year old woman who has raised two children to work in Family practice I think you are mistaken. :)

APPLEBITE said:

Lets face it. Why are they doing it??? Because they have failed throughout life. Is that the kind of people we want to fill medical schools with? FAILURES?

They had their chances. Theres no way in heck that they are going to be productive members of society.

Ill give you this...... If a person is over 42 and wants to go to medical school they should have to sign a contract that they promise to work in the most rural areas of the country or they can only do research.

That would be fine with me. Otherwise they are holding back younger medical students which have more opportunities to do more with their lives!

YOU HAD YOUR CHANCE !
Every school has a class where the old person sits in front and asks the most stupid questions and holds up class time, etc.

Please go back to pre-dental.

Elmer said:

BWHAAAAA! Now I understand the animosity you have toward older students, Applecore!!

skypilot said:

Well if you think that a practice would not be delighted to hire a 48 year old woman who has raised two children to work in Family practice I think you are mistaken. :)

Oh from being a manager I can tell you they surely wouldnt want too for many reasons.

First of all, your health insurance would be off the top.

Second, you would bring no value to the practice whatsoever as opposed to a younger physician.

I think you people are ganging up on me because you are all older than hell.

YOU ARE TOO OLD !!!

Elmer said:

I will if you old people stay out of there !!!!

APPLEBITE said:

YOU HAD YOUR CHANCE !

You have serious problems my friend . . . too many to waste my time addressing.

Let's see, you signed up on 2/4/05 and have made 46 posts in less than 3 days. You act like a troll, your history smells like a troll. What conclusion should we come to?

If you think middle-aged, second career minded individuals can't contribute, then you'll just have to outperform us. If your for real, you won't have a chance :D

APPLEBITE said:
Oh from being a manager I can tell you they surely wouldnt want too for many reasons.

First of all, your health insurance would be off the top.

This isn't Walmart, this is a medical practice. :laugh: Health insurance would not be a factor.

APPLEBITE said:
YOU ARE TOO OLD !!!

Yup. I'm too old to wipe my arse anymore. I can use your face however as a wetnap. :laugh:

OrthoFixation said:
Let's see, you signed up on 2/4/05 and have made 46 posts in less than 3 days. You act like a troll, your history smells like a troll. What conclusion should we come to?

This guy is definitely a troll. A wanna-be dental troll at that.

APPLEBITE said:
Ive already been accepted.

I think that you must be another one of these older people wanting to get into a school. Pothetic if you ask me.

HOW CAN YOU OLDER PEOPLE ACTUALLY CONTRIBUTE TO SOCIETY IF you are 60 years old when you start working.

I think your all just bored with life and your "LOOK AT ME" people.

And quit reading my other posts if you cant handle the truth because I havent lied in these forums yet.

GET A HOBBY. Learn how to knit or play shuffleboard or do something else. Dont waste peoples time by going to medical school just so you can get out and practice 2 years and die.

And yes, any of us can get hit by a car at anytime. However, I am so much younger than you that I will be the one that is capable of 1. seeing the car, and 2. sprinting out of the way....

SO I DESERVE MY SPOT.....all you deserve is a :thumbdown: for taking a young persons spot.

You have already been accepted, but you posted this two days ago

APPLEBITE said:
No I am a CPA, takin my last pre-req (org2) and studying for the DAT. I have a 4.0 science gpa but only a 3.1 non-science.

Thats amazing response from a school to accept students w/o a DAT score.

How old are you with a master's in accounting and having worked as a manager? At what age is someone too old to contribute?

APPLEBITE said:
I will if you old people stay out of there !!!!
Done :)

Elmer said:
You have already been accepted, but you posted this two days ago

Thats amazing response from a school to accept students w/o a DAT score.

How old are you with a master's in accounting and having worked as a manager? At what age is someone too old to contribute?

Done :)

MAybe you should go for DETECTIVE rather than medicine !!!

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

thats others using my username for questions asswipe.

:laugh: :laugh:

APPLEBITE said:
MAybe you should go for DETECTIVE rather than medicine !!!

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

thats others using my username for questions asswipe.

:laugh: :laugh:

well there are obviously no DOOGIE HOWSERS in this forum !!!

All old over the hill people.

I didnt think you old people knew how to use the INTERNET.

Amazing ! :laugh: :laugh: :scared: :laugh:

APPLEBITE said:
well there are obviously no DOOGIE HOWSERS in this forum !!!

All old over the hill people.

I didnt think you old people knew how to use the INTERNET.

Amazing ! :laugh: :laugh: :scared: :laugh:
\

Wow this guy is really insensitive !!!

I have heard of lots of older individuals attending medical schools. However, I think the record in our state is 42. I have even seen some websites where the schools boast the oldest age.

Also, I think if you go to school in Charlotte for undergrad and are over 55 its free.

eddiescott said:
Wow this guy is really insensitive !!!

Yeah. I think older people should be able to get medical education as well. If they want to do it they should go for it. I don't have problems with older students, rather I have/will have problems with idiots!