How old is to old?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
MD'05 said:
Medical school is very much like high school and classmates can be downright evil if they sense you have any weakness (regardless of age). Depending on the residency, residents harbor the same level of evil. Instructors (both basic science and clinical) can be evil also and refuse you help through the skilled use of passive resistance.

One way to counteract these roadblocks is to have excellent grades and a high energy level and to keep fit. You must also be extremely resourceful in learning material on your own since no one will offer you extra help because of your age.

I find it amusing that a people in a profession dedicated to the heath of others are described as evil by some people. I guess it depends on the definition of evil. Anyway, the advice of getting good grades and staying in shape should be taken by any medical student regardless of age.

Members don't see this ad.

APPLEBITE said:
Ive already been accepted.

I think that you must be another one of these older people wanting to get into a school. Pothetic if you ask me.

HOW CAN YOU OLDER PEOPLE ACTUALLY CONTRIBUTE TO SOCIETY IF you are 60 years old when you start working.

I think your all just bored with life and your "LOOK AT ME" people.

And quit reading my other posts if you cant handle the truth because I havent lied in these forums yet.

GET A HOBBY. Learn how to knit or play shuffleboard or do something else. Dont waste peoples time by going to medical school just so you can get out and practice 2 years and die.

And yes, any of us can get hit by a car at anytime. However, I am so much younger than you that I will be the one that is capable of 1. seeing the car, and 2. sprinting out of the way....

SO I DESERVE MY SPOT.....all you deserve is a :thumbdown: for taking a young persons spot.

Join a church or move to florida or something..... :laugh:

Been accepted to medical school, huh? I didn't think so.

I'm 30 years old. I currently have a very successful career as a pilot, but have decided to change careers and go into medicine. Failure is not the only reason to change careers. Maybe you say that because that's the only reason you know, because you're a failure in your first career. You did say you were an accountant, didn't you? Must be a failure.

As far as sprinting out of the way of a car, I'd be more than happy to take you running anytime you want. If you can keep up...

MoosePilot said:
Been accepted to medical school, huh? I didn't think so.

I'm 30 years old. I currently have a very successful career as a pilot, but have decided to change careers and go into medicine. Failure is not the only reason to change careers. Maybe you say that because that's the only reason you know, because you're a failure in your first career. You did say you were an accountant, didn't you? Must be a failure.

As far as sprinting out of the way of a car, I'd be more than happy to take you running anytime you want. If you can keep up...

Wow this guy is just as immature as APPLEBITE.

I guess your not a failure since your alive. I would think you were a failure if you crashed.

Did you seriously just challenge him to a sprint ??

Man grow up. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
eddiescott said:
Wow this guy is just as immature as APPLEBITE.

I guess your not a failure since your alive. I would think you were a failure if you crashed.

Did you seriously just challenge him to a sprint ??

Man grow up. :laugh:

Man, did you just respond to me? You characterize my response as immature, but you just somehow can't keep yourself from doing the same... :rolleyes:

RaistlinMajere said:
I find it amusing that a people in a profession dedicated to the heath of others are described as evil by some people. I guess it depends on the definition of evil. Anyway, the advice of getting good grades and staying in shape should be taken by any medical student regardless of age.

You obviously have never been pre-med, a med student, or a resident.

MD'05 said:
One last word of advice: don't apply anywhere in Ohio.
At OUCOM we have a number of 30+ yr. old's in my class. I feel that the older students in my class bring a lot to the table. These people have often worked in the healthcare field in one way or the other and are able to give some perspective and valuable insight into the profession. I say the OP should go for it, and apply to OUCOM if you so desire b/c we really don't descriminate.

APPLEBITE said:
Ive already been accepted.

I think that you must be another one of these older people wanting to get into a school. Pothetic if you ask me.

HOW CAN YOU OLDER PEOPLE ACTUALLY CONTRIBUTE TO SOCIETY IF you are 60 years old when you start working.

I think your all just bored with life and your "LOOK AT ME" people.

And quit reading my other posts if you cant handle the truth because I havent lied in these forums yet.

GET A HOBBY. Learn how to knit or play shuffleboard or do something else. Dont waste peoples time by going to medical school just so you can get out and practice 2 years and die.

And yes, any of us can get hit by a car at anytime. However, I am so much younger than you that I will be the one that is capable of 1. seeing the car, and 2. sprinting out of the way....

SO I DESERVE MY SPOT.....all you deserve is a :thumbdown: for taking a young persons spot.

Join a church or move to florida or something..... :laugh:

Dude, you're clearly trying to be inflammatory. First, you make it sound like after 60 life ends. We'll see how you feel when you're a bit older. Also, like another has said, you're not owed a chance at anything. It's a diverse applicant pool, and you need to accept it. In fact, you're own med school experience will be more enriching as a result.

I don't buy your bs about owing society a certain # of years or any of that crap. Don't make medicine into something it's not. It's a job!
Also, you may be better off not to look at others as "the competition" all the time.

So, if you only get accepted to a school in a state in which you have NO desire to live after graduation, are you telling me that you'd stick around just so that you could return the investment to the fine taxpayers of that state? I doubt it.

To the OP: You can surely contribute for many years. Also, just as society doesn't owe you anything, you don't really owe society anything. Do it for yourself.

MD'05 said:
You obviously have never been pre-med, a med student, or a resident.

One outta three. I've been a pre-med and am accepted to med school, so it looks like I'll find out more in August. Though for the last two years I've volunteered in a large city teaching hospital and found the med students and residents to be awesome and definitely not evil.

And if I'm wrong, I guess I'll be one of the exceptions.

RaistlinMajere said:
One outta three. I've been a pre-med and am accepted to med school, so it looks like I'll find out more in August. Though for the last two years I've volunteered in a large city teaching hospital and found the med students and residents to be awesome and definitely not evil.

And if I'm wrong, I guess I'll be one of the exceptions.

You have been very fortunate then.

OrthoFixation said:
Go for the gold, do what you want, and don't let anyone hold you back from your dreams.

Don't forget, doctors can work as late in life as they choose. Many practice part-time into their 70s and 80s.

I'm entering in August at 38. Good luck to you :luck:

OrthoFixation,

I am employed as a Home Care Coordinator for the elderly and one of my clients is a 92yr old physician (Radiologist) who STILL WORKS PART-TIME reading x-rays at a local correctional facility here in DC!!!! He goes in on Saturdays and two days during the week!!! Absolutely amazing! We are never, ever too old!!! :)

Blessed1

blessed1 said:
OrthoFixation,

I am employed as a Home Care Coordinator for the elderly and one of my clients is a 92yr old physician (Radiologist) who STILL WORKS PART-TIME reading x-rays at a local correctional facility here in DC!!!! He goes in on Saturdays and two days during the week!!! Absolutely amazing! We are never, ever too old!!! :)

Blessed1

I love that! If your breathing your not too old! :D