How Predictive is the scaled AAMC FL Score? (514)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

partypantss

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am registered to take the June 2nd MCAT and this morning I took the scaled AAMC FL. I woke up early, packed lunch and took it at the library so it feels sort of like the real thing. My Score was a 514 (92nd perc.) C/P 128, CARS 130, Bio 128 and Psych 128. I took the sample test about a week ago and had an overall percentage of 83.25%. (CP 78%, CARS 87%, Bio 83%, Psych 85%) I have also taken EK 1 and 2 and got a 68% and 67%. I took those other three FL's the same way I took the scaled one, all test like.

Are there any numbers showing how predictive my scores are? This will be my second time taking the MCAT, the first time was almost two years ago (got a 29.) For this test, I did content review slowly for a couple months (while working full time) and then have been really casually just doing occasional practice passages/ review and FL's about once a week. I don't even study every day these days, and when I do study it's usually only some light review for maybe 2-3 hours, sometimes less.

I just feel sort of weird about this score, it just seems too good to be true. When I took the MCAT the first time I studied like crazy all summer basically treating it like a full time job, did over 10 FL's and never did this well.

Thoughts? Also, what should I even be doing at this point for the next few weeks? The first time I think I burned myself out over the whole thing too much and so I'm kind of worried about that but at the same time I of course have to keep everything fresh or else I might start getting rusty.

Members don't see this ad.

I have the same feeling -- I actually took the scored AAMC FL today and I couldn't believe the score I got. However, my friend told me he took the AAMC FL, got the same score as you, and then got a 519 on the actual thing. He also said it is most similar to the actual MCAT. Although you only have one scored FL to gauge where you are at, 514 is a great sign and you should be in good shape.

Reactions: 1 user
Theres a sheet floating around somewhere that lists ppl's scores on practice exams vs actual. Most people score +/- 2 from their scored FL. 70% on EK should be around a 515 if I'm remembering correctly.

Of all the study materials available, the AAMC materials are probably the more predictive. I did a graph awhile back and I think the R^2 was around 0.6. Still not terribly predictive but it was better than others out there. The AAMC FLs will be on the easier side of the spectrum though so you are likely to have a real MCAT that's harder than that. Everything's curved so if you have a hard exam, it may have been harder for everyone.