This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuroOo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hopefully not too long of a read, tried to be as brief as possible.:)

I'm currently in my first semester of the second year at a local community college. I've heard that some med schools don't care while others do, but I'm not going to dive into that. I've already been accepted to two of my top choice state schools so I already have a pretty good idea of where I'm going to finish up my undergrad, but I digress.

I'm taking orgo 1 right now and I'm not doing great, it looks as if I'm going to be lucky to get a 3.0. (I do know from students, even ones that did well, that noted he has a very overly confusing methodology of teaching. But the fact that I'm the one with the struggling grade, it's only right that I also take part of the blame.)

Seeing as I'm already at a cc, what would the preferred GPA cutoff be? If I do get through it and somehow manage to get a 3.x+, should I take orgo 2 with him second semester? Or should I take it at another cc or try at a university? (Going to another cc for the course or my local uni is preferred)

And if I don't get above a 3.x should I retake it at another cc, or try it at a local university? (Orgo 1 during winter and then orgo 2 over the summer)

Please keep in mind I'm contemplating going to another CC over the local uni purely because of cost.

From what I've read on SDN, I'm already at a disadvantage going to a cc. So I wouldn't want to go cc --> cc if it would look bad to adcoms.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Most med schools don't care if you get your pre-reqs from a CC, especially in the academic arc that you're taking (2 yrs at CC, then 2 years at 4 year school).

Your school should have a subscription to MSAR Online, so you can see what med schools do and don't accept CC credits.

The median GPA for MD school acceptees is 3.7

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Most med schools don't care if you get your pre-reqs from a CC, especially in the academic arc that you're taking (2 yrs at CC, then 2 years at 4 year school).

Your school should have a subscription to MSAR Online, so you can see what med schools do and don't accept CC credits.

The median GPA for MD school acceptees is 3.7

Great!
But just to confirm, it won't look bad if I go cc --> cc just for orgo 1 & 2?

Thank you, by the way.