How should I go about this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Queen Nehelenia

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My k-8 public education failed me, and when I finally move to a decent school I was so behind the level that I gave up on education when I was against too much pressure with my family life. I am weak in pre-algebra, basic grammar, and I just floated through the system more or less. I am going to own up to this and learn this material on my own, but I am going to take Intermediate Algebra this summer semester (plus basic science classes).

I enter college 2 years ago, and I didn't know what I wanted to be, and so I have more than 12 W's (I don‘t care about the W‘s since that‘s in the past)… but my gpa is still a 4.0. I am basically starting over though. I do not plan to get another W .

1. If you are weak in grammar and algebra, would you just take out text book(s) about it and study it?

2. I'll be 25 years old when I am done with my undergraduate degree, do you consider that traditional?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I enter college 2 years ago, and I didn't know what I wanted to be, and so I have more than 12 W's (I don‘t care about the W‘s since that‘s in the past)… but my gpa is still a 4.0. I am basically starting over though. I do not plan to get another W .

Unfortunately, those 12 Ws are going to be a big red flag to most schools regardless of whether they're in the past for you or not. You're going to get shut out of a lot of places, and the ones that don't shut you out are going to want a damn good explanation as to what happened during the interview, as well as your plan to not repeat the behavior. I wouldn't be too discouraged by this, as it only takes one acceptance to become a doctor, but it's too late to brush them aside and say "I don't care". You're going to need to step it up to make up for those Ws.

1. If you are weak in grammar and algebra, would you just take out text book(s) about it and study it?

Sure, why not? I started out in pre-algebra myself, and learned most of my beginning and intermediate algebra from Khan Academy and Purplemath.

2. I'll be 25 years old when I am done with my undergraduate degree, do you consider that traditional?

No, but it's not that unusual either. Medical schools really don't care about your age, so long as you've been productive with your time. In fact, it's probably an advantage, as you'll add diversity to the class.

Last edited:
12W's are ridiculous. What a waste of your time and money...

1. If I were weak in grammar and algebra I'd take basic courses about both topics and improve them.
2. 25 years old is not traditional.

Members don't see this ad :)
IMO, reading really good writing (classic fiction, NY Times, New Yorker, Atlantic) is a better way to learn grammar (and vocabulary) than reading textbooks. Observe how the authors structure their sentences and their paragraphs, how they lead from one idea to another. Try to slip into the author's voice and imagine yourself speaking the way they write. Really immerse yourself in the language well-educated people use until you have no trouble hearing the difference. (This may take several years.)

Khan Academy is great for math. If that doesn't work for you, I'd search out old high school or CC textbooks. Some are sleep-inducing, but others are actually pretty good.

Is the reason you have a 4.0 because you kept dropping classes? If so I'd think most adcoms would see right through that behavior. Are you attending a college/university now? Or are you enrolled in a Community College? If you have severe deficits in math and language perhaps you should register at a CC for their most basic classes. This way you would have the support and direction you may need.

My k-8 public education failed me, and when I finally move to a decent school I was so behind the level that I gave up on education when I was against too much pressure with my family life. I am weak in pre-algebra, basic grammar, and I just floated through the system more or less. I am going to own up to this and learn this material on my own, but I am going to take Intermediate Algebra this summer semester (plus basic science classes).

I enter college 2 years ago, and I didn’t know what I wanted to be, and so I have more than 12 W’s (I don‘t care about the W‘s since that‘s in the past)… but my gpa is still a 4.0. I am basically starting over though. I do not plan to get another W .

2. I’ll be 25 years old when I am done with my undergraduate degree, do you consider that traditional?

Thanks

Just read a lot and do a lot of problems.
It will really help....if you just stop making excuses.

Is the reason you have a 4.0 because you kept dropping classes? If so I'd think most adcoms would see right through that behavior. Are you attending a college/university now? Or are you enrolled in a Community College? If you have severe deficits in math and language perhaps you should register at a CC for their most basic classes. This way you would have the support and direction you may need.

No. The 4.0 is only there because I did well in a few general classes, and then starting second semester I just drop out because I lost interest in the class which are non-related to medical school at the time.

So you dropped out, whole semesters worth? Your 4.0 is from your first semester. Hmm . Was this all from the same college? When you apply to med school you have to submit all of your transcripts. I have no idea about what you do when you officially drop out. Do your transcripts show the 12 W's? I don't know about your math skills but you write pretty well. I mean there are people on here that are almost unintelligible. Good luck to you.

So you dropped out, whole semesters worth? Your 4.0 is from your first semester. Hmm . Was this all from the same college? When you apply to med school you have to submit all of your transcripts. I have no idea about what you do when you officially drop out. Do your transcripts show the 12 W's? I don't know about your math skills but you write pretty well. I mean there are people on here that are almost unintelligible. Good luck to you.

No. I was in an incompatible relationship, and I moved away from him thus I enroll into a new community college. I change majors, and realize they weren't for me. The W's don't scare me much, since if I quit now from fear, then I'll settle for a career that I wouldn't enjoy much. If I have a great GPA, decent MCAT, and other strong factors then I can see a few acceptances. I only need one after all. There's no reason why I couldn't easily explain why I have W's, because I withdraw from classes like "singing". I just had no focus at that time because I thought college was a complete waste of time, and I was doing it for my family. I had a recent change of heart though, since I am very interested in chemistry/biology.

I did bought a house, and I no longer have to worry about rent or how I go about my life more or less. I have enough savings to not worry about bills, and so now I want to dedicate all my time to college. I am at the perfect place financially/mentally to really make this happen.