How should I spend summer 2017?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ee1025

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a sophomore undergrad planning on taking a gap year and ideally enteringn medical school in the fall of 2020. I know I still have plenty of time, but I'm concerned about making sure I have enough research and clinical experience by the time of my application.
Right now, my options for summer 2017 are either applying for a summer research program/internship or doing the same thing as last summer: retail job+ volunteering at a clinic for the uninsured.
I really enjoyed my experience at the clinic and would be happy to return, but I was wondering if research would be a better choice since I currently have none.

Is a summer-intensive research program looked down upon in favor of long term research at one's own university?

Side-note: I plan on starting in a lab at my own school Junior year and ideally staying with that lab until graduation or even during my gap year, as well.
I also recently started a weekly volunteering position at a nearby hospital that I plan on continuing long term, so the clinic would not be my only form of clinical volunteering.

Thank you in advance for all responses!

Members don't see this ad.

Is a summer-intensive research program looked down upon in favor of long term research at one's own university?

Side-note: I plan on starting in a lab at my own school Junior year and ideally staying with that lab until graduation or even during my gap year, as well.
The value of a summer program will likely be totally eclipsed by your work in the lab you join. 4 semesters, especially if you can do summers and/or a gap year there, is going to give you a lot more experience and opportunity for productive work than any summer program can. I think you'd be on the right track making a little money with whatever summer job and volunteering, and diving into a substantial and long term research involvement after that.

Reactions: 1 user
I took the MCAT summer after sophomore and I thought that was a great move personally

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the MCAT summer after sophomore and I thought that was a great move personally
I did this as well, would highly recommend. If you can work part time, study part time, and volunteer a little it is a great time to knock out the MCAT