This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ee1025

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a sophomore undergrad planning on taking a gap year and ideally enteringn medical school in the fall of 2020. I know I still have plenty of time, but I'm concerned about making sure I have enough research and clinical experience by the time of my application.
Right now, my options for summer 2017 are either applying for a summer research program/internship or doing the same thing as last summer: retail job+ volunteering at a clinic for the uninsured.
I really enjoyed my experience at the clinic and would be happy to return, but I was wondering if research would be a better choice since I currently have none.

Is a summer-intensive research program looked down upon in favor of long term research at one's own university?

Side-note: I plan on starting in a lab at my own school Junior year and ideally staying with that lab until graduation or even during my gap year, as well.
I also recently started a weekly volunteering position at a nearby hospital that I plan on continuing long term, so the clinic would not be my only form of clinical volunteering.


Thank you in advance for all responses!
 
Is a summer-intensive research program looked down upon in favor of long term research at one's own university?

Side-note: I plan on starting in a lab at my own school Junior year and ideally staying with that lab until graduation or even during my gap year, as well.
The value of a summer program will likely be totally eclipsed by your work in the lab you join. 4 semesters, especially if you can do summers and/or a gap year there, is going to give you a lot more experience and opportunity for productive work than any summer program can. I think you'd be on the right track making a little money with whatever summer job and volunteering, and diving into a substantial and long term research involvement after that.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad