How the heck do I pick which book series?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thranduil

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

This is probably asked and answered time and time again but I have found myself stressed and stuck in a rut deciding which book series to use!

A bit of my background. I graduated with a BSc with a 3.7 gpa five years ago. I have been pursuing a non-science career since but have decided to come back to science and go to medical school. I was quite sharp with my science knowledge back then but will obviously be quite rusty.

I'm looking at the three main companies for a book set to base my self study on: Kaplan, Princeton, or Exam Krackers. Can anyone give me a break down of what the difference between these books are? Or guide me to a thread that does?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

IMO, The Berkeley Review is the best for teaching from the ground up. LOTS of detail. You will know your stuff if you use TBR. I used Exam Krackers and I feel that it was not as in-depth as I'd like, but I think I would have lost my mind trying to get through TBR. It would be like re-living the hell that was the pre-requisites ALL OVER AGAIN! :barf: No. Thanks.

There is a sticky thread here that should give you the pros/cons of each study plan and each of those sets of books. Personally, I modeled my own study plan after @mcatjelly 's plan :)

Reactions: 1 users
Hello all,

This is probably asked and answered time and time again but I have found myself stressed and stuck in a rut deciding which book series to use!

A bit of my background. I graduated with a BSc with a 3.7 gpa five years ago. I have been pursuing a non-science career since but have decided to come back to science and go to medical school. I was quite sharp with my science knowledge back then but will obviously be quite rusty.

I'm looking at the three main companies for a book set to base my self study on: Kaplan, Princeton, or Exam Krackers. Can anyone give me a break down of what the difference between these books are? Or guide me to a thread that does?

Thanks

Just like the person above mentioned, Berkley gives you the most detail, with examcrackers being the most brief and then Kaplan and Princeton fall somewhere in between detail-wise. I would put it as Berkley Review>TPR>Kaplan>examcrackers. I personally think that any company is good they are all reputable, but it just depends on your own learning style and preference. For example I preferred Kaplan because I wanted something a little more detailed than examcrackers but TPR and Berkley were too much for me and I didn't need that in depth analysis. So since it has been so long for you maybe Berkley will be the best option. I always said, pick a company and roll with it because you can get lost in the plethora of material out there which can actually hinder your studying, I was never the biggest fan of mixing and matching but others were successful in doing so.

I would use Examkrackers for content with khan academy/chemistryprep for more information/supplemental material and then use the TBR book for its in text examples and passages.

Members don't see this ad :)
Five years isn't a crazy amount of time. I used TBR and did amazing, you can too. You can even get by with an older set of TBR books, a majority of the subjects haven't changed much in the last 10 years. I'd probably add in TPR's Psych/Soc book.

My best advice would be to use Amazon and their amazing return policy. Check em all out and pick a series you like and return the rest.

Like the poster above me, I primarily used TBR, along with EK CARS and TPR psych/sociology, and did extremely well. I attribute my score to two things: 1) doing tons of passages and 2) reviewing every question I did. What made TBR the best in my opinion were the detailed explanations and the tricks they offered. I wrote many of their shortcut equations and mnemonics down on my scratch paper before my test started, and it helped me save time.

I agree with everyone here that TBR is the best way to go. Look at the threads where people are not doing well and you'll notice the glaring omission is often passages. Make sure you have plenty of great passages.

@Swagster, would you mind sharing your study schedule? I plan to use the same books you (and most people) recommend. I plan to supplement those books with selected Khan videos, emphasizing passages from the books.

Find a series that resonates with you. I just can't stand the way some authors write while I find it almost pleasurable to read the work of other authors. Try Google Books or the ability to preview books on Amazon and read a few pages from each series to see if any stand out, either positively or negatively, to you. I think a lot of people choose Kaplan, while TBR was the king of the game for the old MCAT. I enjoyed TPR but they left a bad taste in my mouth when their 1st edition for the MCAT had glaring mistakes in their book. I ended up with box sets from several companies and ended up finishing none. so take that into account too.

I am surprised at the amount of recommendations for TBR books. Aren't those books outdated? Or have they been updated for the new MCAT?

I was leaning towards doing TPR books because they seem to be the most in depth while being recently updated. I'll get practice passages and tests through AAMC and Next Step.

If I do TPR instead of TBR what will I be missing out on?

I am surprised at the amount of recommendations for TBR books. Aren't those books outdated? Or have they been updated for the new MCAT?

I was leaning towards doing TPR books because they seem to be the most in depth while being recently updated. I'll get practice passages and tests through AAMC and Next Step.

I only recommended TBR because I know that they provide the most in depth content review (more than TPR). I personally liked kaplan, I enjoyed the way it was written, Just as someone above wrote, it all depends if you can read it and enjoy the way its written and then that way I think it is less of a chore. But, I am pretty sure TBR has new mcat books now. As for TPR, I never liked them for personal reasons and I performed better after making the switch to kaplan, but they do give you more in depth content review than kaplan. I don't think you will miss out on much by doing TPR over TBR but people say that TBR passages are the best so I can't really attest to it besides doing some of their passages for verbal on the old mcat which did help.

Reactions: 1 user

TBR has been completely updated to reflect the style of the new MCAT2015 exam. They were a little late to the party because they didn't want to mess up. Which TPR/Kaplan/EK did, and pretty badly at that.

You'll be missing depth of material. TBR teaches material to you as if you never learned it in college (because it's been so long, and/or you were a crammer so none of it stuck). If you want to compare depth, EK is like swimming around at the beach. TPR/Kaplan is snorkeling, TBR is putting on SCUBA gear.
You'll be missing quality passages. TBR has a reputation for having the best practice passages compared to the large test prep companies. The only ones better are from AAMC.

So if you need that kind of depth to learn, TBR is great. Literally anyone who can stomach and learn everything in TBR's books is generally assured a great score, depending on your test taking skills.
If the material is fairly recent and you have great grades, TPR/Kaplan is plenty for you.

I side-by-side compared TPR, Kaplan, and TBR. TBR was right for me because it spelled everything out, which I needed since I was a crammer of my college material five years ago.

Addendum: TBR does not yet have Sociology material. I compared Kaplan's and TPR's offerings in that regard, and I used TPR's Psych/Soc book in conjunction with TBR's Psych book. I did try to use the Reddit-sourced Khan Academy study guides, but I didn't feel like it was an effective use of time for me even though many have found success with it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
TBR has been completely updated to reflect the style of the new MCAT2015 exam. They were a little late to the party because they didn't want to mess up. Which TPR/Kaplan/EK did, and pretty badly at that.

You'll be missing depth of material. TBR teaches material to you as if you never learned it in college (because it's been so long, and/or you were a crammer so none of it stuck). If you want to compare depth, EK is like swimming around at the beach. TPR/Kaplan is snorkeling, TBR is putting on SCUBA gear.
You'll be missing quality passages. TBR has a reputation for having the best practice passages compared to the large test prep companies. The only ones better are from AAMC.

So if you need that kind of depth to learn, TBR is great. Literally anyone who can stomach and learn everything in TBR's books is generally assured a great score, depending on your test taking skills.
If the material is fairly recent and you have great grades, TPR/Kaplan is plenty for you.

I side-by-side compared TPR, Kaplan, and TBR. TBR was right for me because it spelled everything out, which I needed since I was a crammer of my college material five years ago.

Addendum: TBR does not yet have Sociology material. I compared Kaplan's and TPR's offerings in that regard, and I used TPR's Psych/Soc book in conjunction with TBR's Psych book. I did try to use the Reddit-sourced Khan Academy study guides, but I didn't feel like it was an effective use of time for me even though many have found success with it.

Everyone that has posted above (and especially Zenabi) is really convincing me to go with TBR. But I am still torn between TBR and TPR because of TPRs relative conciseness. My final concern is: is TBR over-detailed? I have read a lot of people saying that TBR goes into deeper detail than needed. I want to know everything I NEED to know to get a great score and do not want to waste my time learning anything more than that. The general consensus seems to be that the MCAT is most concerned with big concepts and not specific details.

What do you TBR advocates say to that? Do the TBR books make you learn unnecessary details? Or are the details actually an aid in getting the big concepts across?

Thanks to everyone so far who has helped me making this tough decision on the books. Hilariously, I feel as though picking these books is more stressful than the actual studying will be.

Everyone that has posted above (and especially Zenabi) is really convincing me to go with TBR. But I am still torn between TBR and TPR because of TPRs relative conciseness. My final concern is: is TBR over-detailed? I have read a lot of people saying that TBR goes into deeper detail than needed. I want to know everything I NEED to know to get a great score and do not want to waste my time learning anything more than that. The general consensus seems to be that the MCAT is most concerned with big concepts and not specific details.

What do you TBR advocates say to that? Do the TBR books make you learn unnecessary details? Or are the details actually an aid in getting the big concepts across?

Thanks to everyone so far who has helped me making this tough decision on the books. Hilariously, I feel as though picking these books is more stressful than the actual studying will be.

Maybe I should put my decision in perspective with a more historical post of my experiences with MCAT prep. Put a TLDR at the end.

I, like you, am a non-trad of 5 years. Graduated in 2012, went with TPR for my first go around of the MCAT that I would take in May 2012. I spent 5 months studying for the MCAT while working on a research project while working on classes. No time, no energy, and the way the TPR material was presented made me want to burn it. I always hesitate to call TPR concise, because while there is a certain amount of brevity, it left me with a lot of questions. I ended up having to go back and forth from the review books to my old textbooks which was extremely inefficient, and really defeats the purpose of a "stand-alone" review book. I scored a dismal 27Q, which for those unfamiliar with the old scale, is a 55th percentile, so maybe a 501-502. An okay score, but not really. My girlfriend sprung for the classroom course. In my opinion,that was maybe the worst $5000 (after discount!) I have ever seen spent. She ended up burnt out and hating everything having to do with being a pre-med. We both quit the pre-med path right there and then.

Fast-forward five years, and while she's doing great, and I'm doing great, I find myself constantly thinking about what could have been. So much regret from my academic activities in undergrad. I needed a post-bacc, but to throw in $20-30k in a program that I might not even benefit from if I decide not go in all the way seemed like a bad financial idea. So instead, I opted to re-do the MCAT. Throw 100% of myself into the MCAT, and if I could take it, and I got a good score, I would take it as a sign that I was down the right path again.

I researched all the books. All the study methods, new and old. The MCAT had been revamped in 2015, and in the summer of 2017, I was fortunate to be far enough out that AAMC would have worked out most of the kinks with the new format and content, and the review companies would have caught up with the changes. Looking at my high school and undergrad, I loved physics and biology, struggled with chemistry, and never touched psychology and sociology. I got good grades, but chemistry just never came easily. I decided that between that history and the five intervening years, I had to go for the best, most in-depth resources I could. Of course, I ordered everything the AAMC had to offer. That was a given. But now it was between EK, Kaplan, TPR, and TBR. I knew TBR was very in-depth, but that sounded exactly like what I needed! I went on Amazon and ordered CARS and Org Chem books for EK, Kaplan, and TPR (I was willing to give them a second chance because of so many positive reviews). I compared all of them and I just wasn't happy with any of them. I mean, they were ok if the material was fresh, but I had too many gaps. I returned all of them to Amazon and sprung $400 for the complete TBR set. I also went and got the TPR Psych/Soc book because TBR didn't have a Sociology section yet.

In retrospect, the quality of practice passages provided in their review books alone are worth the price I paid. Every single penny. I cracked open the physics book (to ease into it) and I remember finishing the first chapter and going "I wish these had been my textbooks in college." They were that good. I got to the practice passages and they were great too! And as I continued on and on with the books, I never once regretted my investment into TBR. I had also bought the EK1001 series books for discrete practice, but I felt I didn't even need them after TBR's practice sets and AAMC section banks. I appreciated the no-nonsense black and white style, with myriad of test-taking strategies and time-saving tips.

To throw another interesting wrench into the works, as I started my content review, friends and families all advised me to try to take an MCAT THAT YEAR. I was already a retaker, why not try? Maybe I'll get lucky. I looked, and found a seat in early September. Paid it, booked the hotel room, booked the flight, and then realized that I had 4.5 weeks to prepare. Super strict schedule, notified everyone what I was doing and why I'd be unavailable until after, and hammered TBR and AAMC for 12 hours a day, 6 days a week until two days before the exam. Took my flight, sat for the exam, fast forward a month, and I nearly passed out when I saw my score of 517. I guarantee, my disciplined schedule was responsible for maybe 5 pts of that improvement. The rest I place firmly in the hands of TBR. Life-changing stuff.

Compared with my TPR books of old, TBR was on another level. I even had the old hyperlearning books from my girlfriend, and it was on par with that stuff, if not better.

To this day, I always say: if you need any kind of depth, or taken any kind of multi-year break, TBR is the way to go. There are just too many possible content gaps for someone who isn't fresh off the material. Now, there are better students than me who retained much more despite the kind of break I took, who did just fine with TPR or Kaplan or EK. But being compatible with the presentation and teaching style is at least 50% of the battle when it comes to choosing a review resource. TBR was the one for me, without a doubt. But I can never say for certainty that it will be the same for you.

If you have the money and time, I highly encourage you to get a TBR and TPR gen chem or o chem book and just compare them side by side. That's the best way to make your decision.

Sorry for the long post, but maybe it helps.

TL;DR: I used TPR during undergrad, got 55th percentile. Girlfriend used TPR classroom, she quit on pre-med. Five years later, I used TBR for 5 weeks of full time studying, I got 95th percentile. Picking a review series is highly personal, compare if you can, YMMV.

Reactions: 6 users
In my opinion, learning the "big ideas" is only possible if you nail the small bits too.

Imperfect analogy: heart pumps blood, controlled partially by vagal tone and endocrine. has SA node, AV node, atria and ventricles. BUT if you don't know the order of the chambers and how they interplay with the blood flow in the lungs, will you be able to tell me what a hole between the left atrium and right ventricle causes? Or a hole between the right atrium and left ventricle? Yes, septal defects are medical school material, but big picture organ anatomy is fair game, and so is critical thinking and problem solving. Yes imperfect analogy, but I hope my message gets across.

Members don't see this ad :)
In my opinion, learning the "big ideas" is only possible if you nail the small bits too.

Imperfect analogy: heart pumps blood, controlled partially by vagal tone and endocrine. has SA node, AV node, atria and ventricles. BUT if you don't know the order of the chambers and how they interplay with the blood flow in the lungs, will you be able to tell me what a hole between the left atrium and right ventricle causes? Or a hole between the right atrium and left ventricle? Yes, septal defects are medical school material, but big picture organ anatomy is fair game, and so is critical thinking and problem solving. Yes imperfect analogy, but I hope my message gets across.

Did you use TBR for CARS as well, and if so, do you mind sharing your subscore?

It really depends on the book. I assume not every subject is written by the same author(s) because TBR can sorta be hit or miss. I would really like the way they presented some material but I did find myself thinking that they were going into way too much detail sometimes.

I used their updated books when I took the new MCAT and they were excellent for the sciences. Their passages are what make them the best books available for biology, chemistry, orgo, and physics. Their CARS books still sucks.

Wasn't their last update in 2014?

Great passages with detailed explanations and tips and strategies I didn't find anywhere else.

Did you use TBR for CARS as well, and if so, do you mind sharing your subscore?

I used a combination of Khan Academy, EK Verbal 101, TPR CARS, and TBR CARS. 3-5 passages a day, every day.

My CARS subscore was 129. CP was 129, BB was 130, PS was 129.

I used their updated books when I took the new MCAT and they were excellent for the sciences. Their passages are what make them the best books available for biology, chemistry, orgo, and physics. Their CARS books still sucks.

Why does their CARS suck? I didn't go through the entire book but I was ready for the suckiness but never could find it. Seemed about the same as Kaplan.

If you live nearby and want to try EK, I can give you my books. I was premed, then went to grad school and into science teaching for 12 years and came back. Just got accepted. I have a full set of EK used latest edition exam kracker books and 3 of their again used latest edition 101 passages (cars, chem, physics) and one older 1001 physics questions. I love these. I can give you these.

Why does their CARS suck? I didn't go through the entire book but I was ready for the suckiness but never could find it. Seemed about the same as Kaplan.

Is it worth the price for the passages? I love their science books, but haven't read many positive comments about their CARS book.

While I -do- help manage EK, the only advice I have is this: pick one series and stick with it.

Our peers tend to have differing techniques for CARS etc and the last thing you want to do is mix up strategies.

Pick a prep company. Use AAMC resources and Khan. Get a 510+

That's the progression.

Maybe I should put my decision in perspective with a more historical post of my experiences with MCAT prep. Put a TLDR at the end.

I, like you, am a non-trad of 5 years. Graduated in 2012, went with TPR for my first go around of the MCAT that I would take in May 2012. I spent 5 months studying for the MCAT while working on a research project while working on classes. No time, no energy, and the way the TPR material was presented made me want to burn it. I always hesitate to call TPR concise, because while there is a certain amount of brevity, it left me with a lot of questions. I ended up having to go back and forth from the review books to my old textbooks which was extremely inefficient, and really defeats the purpose of a "stand-alone" review book. I scored a dismal 27Q, which for those unfamiliar with the old scale, is a 55th percentile, so maybe a 501-502. An okay score, but not really. My girlfriend sprung for the classroom course. In my opinion,that was maybe the worst $5000 (after discount!) I have ever seen spent. She ended up burnt out and hating everything having to do with being a pre-med. We both quit the pre-med path right there and then.

Fast-forward five years, and while she's doing great, and I'm doing great, I find myself constantly thinking about what could have been. So much regret from my academic activities in undergrad. I needed a post-bacc, but to throw in $20-30k in a program that I might not even benefit from if I decide not go in all the way seemed like a bad financial idea. So instead, I opted to re-do the MCAT. Throw 100% of myself into the MCAT, and if I could take it, and I got a good score, I would take it as a sign that I was down the right path again.

I researched all the books. All the study methods, new and old. The MCAT had been revamped in 2015, and in the summer of 2017, I was fortunate to be far enough out that AAMC would have worked out most of the kinks with the new format and content, and the review companies would have caught up with the changes. Looking at my high school and undergrad, I loved physics and biology, struggled with chemistry, and never touched psychology and sociology. I got good grades, but chemistry just never came easily. I decided that between that history and the five intervening years, I had to go for the best, most in-depth resources I could. Of course, I ordered everything the AAMC had to offer. That was a given. But now it was between EK, Kaplan, TPR, and TBR. I knew TBR was very in-depth, but that sounded exactly like what I needed! I went on Amazon and ordered CARS and Org Chem books for EK, Kaplan, and TPR (I was willing to give them a second chance because of so many positive reviews). I compared all of them and I just wasn't happy with any of them. I mean, they were ok if the material was fresh, but I had too many gaps. I returned all of them to Amazon and sprung $400 for the complete TBR set. I also went and got the TPR Psych/Soc book because TBR didn't have a Sociology section yet.

In retrospect, the quality of practice passages provided in their review books alone are worth the price I paid. Every single penny. I cracked open the physics book (to ease into it) and I remember finishing the first chapter and going "I wish these had been my textbooks in college." They were that good. I got to the practice passages and they were great too! And as I continued on and on with the books, I never once regretted my investment into TBR. I had also bought the EK1001 series books for discrete practice, but I felt I didn't even need them after TBR's practice sets and AAMC section banks. I appreciated the no-nonsense black and white style, with myriad of test-taking strategies and time-saving tips.

To throw another interesting wrench into the works, as I started my content review, friends and families all advised me to try to take an MCAT THAT YEAR. I was already a retaker, why not try? Maybe I'll get lucky. I looked, and found a seat in early September. Paid it, booked the hotel room, booked the flight, and then realized that I had 4.5 weeks to prepare. Super strict schedule, notified everyone what I was doing and why I'd be unavailable until after, and hammered TBR and AAMC for 12 hours a day, 6 days a week until two days before the exam. Took my flight, sat for the exam, fast forward a month, and I nearly passed out when I saw my score of 517. I guarantee, my disciplined schedule was responsible for maybe 5 pts of that improvement. The rest I place firmly in the hands of TBR. Life-changing stuff.

Compared with my TPR books of old, TBR was on another level. I even had the old hyperlearning books from my girlfriend, and it was on par with that stuff, if not better.

To this day, I always say: if you need any kind of depth, or taken any kind of multi-year break, TBR is the way to go. There are just too many possible content gaps for someone who isn't fresh off the material. Now, there are better students than me who retained much more despite the kind of break I took, who did just fine with TPR or Kaplan or EK. But being compatible with the presentation and teaching style is at least 50% of the battle when it comes to choosing a review resource. TBR was the one for me, without a doubt. But I can never say for certainty that it will be the same for you.

If you have the money and time, I highly encourage you to get a TBR and TPR gen chem or o chem book and just compare them side by side. That's the best way to make your decision.

Sorry for the long post, but maybe it helps.

TL;DR: I used TPR during undergrad, got 55th percentile. Girlfriend used TPR classroom, she quit on pre-med. Five years later, I used TBR for 5 weeks of full time studying, I got 95th percentile. Picking a review series is highly personal, compare if you can, YMMV.

@Zenabi90: I mentioned in a post early today how much you inspired me, This was the post that did it. I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to list all of the details about your situation.