How to deal with being single?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
There are several ways to deal with a stalker. If he's in college you can alert the administration or the police office of his particular university. The last thing the university wants to take care of is one of its students sexually harassing someone. Such a charge sets up a bad precedent for the school.

If you tell this particular individual that you think he's stalking you, he might back off. In one instance a female friend of mine was being stalked, so a male friend yelled at the top of his lungs, "Hey stalker! Brandy doesn't ever want to see you again!" The guy backed off and never tried to contact her again.

Members don't see this ad.

hahaha, you are worrying about it too much...

Stop thinking about women, because in all reality they aren't really that big of a deal. In all honesty, once you become a physician/dentist the women will come flocking to you. Trust me. Just be yourself (as lame and as corny as that sounds, it is an irrevocable truth about the universe)

I didn't read the whole thread here for time's sake but I did want to say that I disagree with this. I have many friends who share this attitude and I don't buy it. By and large, these are the same more introverted people who didn't attract women in college, etc. A career does not change that. Regardless of if you are a ditch-digger or a doctor, if you don't know how to handle women, you won't be able to do it. You won't snag the woman of your dreams because of two letters that come after your name - sorry.

Keep doing what you've always done and you will continue to get what you've always gotten.

By and large, the people who subscribe to this theory are the same ones who are single physicians in their 30s (nothing wrong with that in itself), at which time, a cougar-woman who everyone else knows should be avoided comes digging for gold and sucks the poor bastard in. 3 or 5 years down the road when he realizes he was duped, they get a divorce, yadda yadda yadda. Very sad story.

Long story short, I do not believe that anyone, regardless of profession, is exempt from learning how to attract members of the opposite sex (through lots of practice and about 97% failures).

So my take home message is not that if you don't have an s/o, you are doomed to this horrible fate. But you are probably not going to find yourself in an ideal situation if you just expect everything to fall in your lap. Finding a compatible partner often takes work and experience, just like anything else in life.

This thread is hilarious. Girls exist outside of your school; I know, shocking right! If you open your mouth and sounds come out, you're halfway there.

Members don't see this ad :)
But you are probably not going to find yourself in an ideal situation if you just expect everything to fall in your lap. Finding a compatible partner often takes work and experience, just like anything else in life.

Solid solid advice.

I'm sure this has already been said, but I still want to put my two cents in. There are multiple reasons why being single in medical school sucks so bad, here is my summary (this is merely my honest view and opinion, not ment to insult anyone)

1) Most girls who go to medical school have already realized that by the time they are done they will be in their late 20's or early 30's. For this reason most girls who had any kind of relationship going into medical school cling to that relationship, and get engaged, married, or some manner of serious. This isn't helped by learning that women's biological clock really starts ticking in the late 20's (downs chances double at 30, etc). Sadly most girls will cling to their relationships in medical school unless another guy comes along and makes it very obvious they are interested (won't let go of the vine until another one is close enough to swing to, so to speak). Ive seen it time and time again. Guys aren't so bad about freaking out because its ok for a guy to wait till he's done and in his late 20's to start getting serious. The bad thing about this is it causes alot of divorces. The perecentages of people who get married during or prior to medschool who get a divorce is scary.

2) We are too damn busy to meet anyone outside of our class. I've tried it and it just does not work. What normal girl is giong to be cool with you saying "Ok sweety, we had a good time, ill see you again in two weeks when I have a break after our next big test"

3)This is kinda mean but alot of girls (and guys too) in med school think since they are going to be dr's, they're **** don't stink. They set they're standards WAY to high...sadly it actually works sometimes. Guys who aren't in medschool are very fascinated by to be female dr's. And the fact that it does work just makes it worse...If a girl that is a 6 can get a guy outside of medschool that is an 8, why is she going to date one of us dorks...

4)Medschool severly hampers your social skills. 8 Hours of studying a day in the library and never going out does not turn you into a "stone cold pimp". It gives you tired racoon eyes, a pale complection, and the ability to freeze up when that cute girl chance you've been waiting for actually finally comes along

5) EVEN if there are a few cute single girls in your class, they want someone a little older. They are giong to date the older residents and attendings and ]the older male nurses. Not guys the same age or younger that they go to school with.

I'm a 2nd year, and have never felt so single. I'm no brad pitt, but I haven't ever really had trouble dating. BUT the last two years have been almost completely dateless...I've pretty much given up and just have fun when I get the chance, and look forward to dating again when I'm out of here...

A+++++++

If anyone disagrees with any of this they're deluding themselves.

5) EVEN if there are a few cute single girls in your class, they want someone a little older. They are giong to date the older residents and attendings and ]the older male nurses.

...and the older non-trad guys in their class. :D

I recomend watching and learning from every episode of the pick up artist on VH1, those guys have some mad skills.

A+++++++

If anyone disagrees with any of this they're deluding themselves.

Here's my .02.

2) We are too damn busy to meet anyone outside of our class. I've tried it and it just does not work. What normal girl is giong to be cool with you saying "Ok sweety, we had a good time, ill see you again in two weeks when I have a break after our next big test"

I know this is an exaggeration, but the point is that succeeding with relationships is no different than succeeding in other manners of life. You want to be in good physical condition? You've got to make time to work out. Set aside that hour each day. Make it happen. Those who don't think it is as important do not make time and they do not have the same outcome. You want to have a stable relationship? Many people do. There are many people who are married with kids in medical school. Or what's more - unmarried, with kids. How do they do this? It is important, and they make time. Many of them probably study less than you, but I suspect that your scores are pretty similar. It's a matter of time management.

3)This is kinda mean but alot of girls (and guys too) in med school think since they are going to be dr's, they're **** don't stink. They set they're standards WAY to high...sadly it actually works sometimes. Guys who aren't in medschool are very fascinated by to be female dr's. And the fact that it does work just makes it worse...If a girl that is a 6 can get a guy outside of medschool that is an 8, why is she going to date one of us dorks...

First off, why are you so intent on dating a medical student? You have outlined why that is a bad idea in general, but you keep harping on how your situation makes it difficult..? Find someone else!
And tip number one with regards to doing anything in life (especially getting women), don't view yourself as a "dork". If you think you're a dork, women sense that and you are uber dork in their eyes. Have some self-confidence in who you are and what you do, and find someone to date who doesn't drag all the problems of being a fellow classmate along.

4)Medschool severly hampers your social skills. 8 Hours of studying a day in the library and never going out does not turn you into a "stone cold pimp". It gives you tired racoon eyes, a pale complection, and the ability to freeze up when that cute girl chance you've been waiting for actually finally comes along

8 hours of studying a day and never going out will indeed hamper your social skills and completely destroy any chance you have of meeting someone who isn't in your class (we've been over that already). Most medical students I know do not study 8 hours a day and they do go out, as often as they can, if that is what they enjoy doing. At the very least, you could take some of those study hours (even if it is 8 - I know I couldn't do that if my life depended on it, but more power to you if you can), and go somewhere else, where you just might have an ounce of social interaction. Go to a coffee shop, bookstore, etc. Go study in the nursing school - anywhere to branch out. Talk to people when you take a 10 minute break to go look at the magazine aisle or get some coffee.
5) EVEN if there are a few cute single girls in your class, they want someone a little older. They are giong to date the older residents and attendings and ]the older male nurses. Not guys the same age or younger that they go to school with.

Stop limiting your dating options to your classmates. You CAN do better and get what you want, just like you got into medical school. But you must realize that dating, just like medical school, maintaining physical fitness, being a good guitar player - anything, requires time and effort. Dedicate a little time to this endeavor and work on it. Realize that it's your life, you OWN the situation, and you owe it to yourself to get what you want. It won't come easy, and women aren't going to fall in your lap with starry eyes, but if you work at it you can make some positive things happen for yourself.

I've pretty much given up and just have fun when I get the chance, and look forward to dating again when I'm out of here...
You do realize that your life will get busier when you graduate medical school, and not less-busy, correct? That's a poor strategy.

Realize you're not powerless and this is just another challenge - like the MCAT, medical school, etc., that you can turn into a real good part of your life if you are willing to dedicate some time and effort to it.

Hmmm... how about giving up the dream of having someone in our lives?? ... and start.... by enjoying the present free time with family and friends.... and may be adopting a kid after graduation?!?! I know it sounds weird but thats what I have been thinking these days ....

Members don't see this ad :)
Except that unless you have a TV show on VH1 you probably shouldn't dress like the teacher on that show -- it's not going to go over well in the wards.

Agreed, only wear your gothic pimp outfit when at the clubs or in the ED. On the wards the outfits that mistery (the master pick up artist) wears you'll look more like a psych patient then a doc/student doc.

Maybe they don't count as normal, but I've seen people make this work pretty well when the other person is in big law. They both bust their butts and plan on another date in two weeks, when she's in between big cases and he's post exam, etc.

Actually, according to I think Richard Dawkins, there are four social groups of people:

Fast Men (Don't want to Marry)
Fast Women (Don't want to Marry)
Slow Men (Want to Marry)
Slow Women (Want to Marry)

The speed referring to escalating intimacy and relationship lenght, not mental health! To maintain equilibrium in the world, there are many more slow men and women than fast. However, the slow men and women usually fall for the fast ones and want to marry them, but in the end usually marry like-minded slow people. Fast people also marry each other, stereotypically they are the family that fights, cheats, drinks, and tries to relive there younger glory days. They also live in run-down houses and drive wife-beaters.

I found something similar...

Roller pigeons climb high and fast. Then roll over and fall just as fast towards the earth. There are shallow rollers and there are deep rollers. You can't breed two deep rollers or their young - their offspring - would roll all the way down, hit, and die. Agent starling is a deep roller. Let us hope one of her parents was not. - Dr. Lecter :smuggrin:

What happens to the children of slow men and women...?

Agreed, only wear your gothic pimp outfit when at the clubs or in the ED. On the wards the outfits that mistery (the master pick up artist) wears you'll look more like a psych patient then a doc/student doc.

Having watched several episodes, I have come to the conclusion that he probably never did much picking up until he had his own TV show. How he convinced the network to put him on as an expert is very impressive, maybe one of the better con jobs of all time. The show itself though, simply proves (based on the respective success of the contestants) that the better looking you are the easier it is to pick up women, which isn't particularly revolutionary. Nor is it going to help most med students.:laugh:

Having watched several episodes, I have come to the conclusion that he probably never did much picking up until he had his own TV show. How he convinced the network to put him on as an expert is very impressive, maybe one of the better con jobs of all time. The show itself though, simply proves (based on the respective success of the contestants) that the better looking you are the easier it is to pick up women, which isn't particularly revolutionary. Nor is it going to help most med students.:laugh:

Have you read "The Game"? Believe it or not, I met Neil Strauss in LA last year at a Rolling Stones launch party and was completely shocked.

He's a really cool dude, not much of a looker, and has the most nasally voice I've ever heard; he's like the male counterpart to Fran Drescher. Didn't matter though, judging by the enormous flock of ridiculously gorgeous women surrounding him at the time.

Have you read "The Game"? Believe it or not, I met Neil Strauss in LA last year at a Rolling Stones launch party and was completely shocked.

He's a really cool dude, not much of a looker, and has the most nasally voice I've ever heard; he's like the male counterpart to Fran Drescher. Didn't matter though, judging by the enormous flock of ridiculously gorgeous women surrounding him at the time.

That may be, but I suspect he's got more "game" than the dude VH1 is calling a master. And my point is that if you watch the show, the unattractive and obese guys got carried for a few rounds, but ultimately the GQ looking guys won.

And, if you have admittance to a Rolling Stones launch party you easilly can get a date, but most med students can't promise a more exciting event than the dinner special at Applebee's.:)

That may be, but I suspect he's got more "game" than the dude VH1 is calling a master. And my point is that if you watch the show, the unattractive and obese guys got carried for a few rounds, but ultimately the GQ looking guys won.

And, if you have admittance to a Rolling Stones launch party you easilly can get a date, but most med students can't promise a more exciting event than the dinner special at Applebee's.:)
:laugh:

Not that it matters too much because you aren't very familiar with either of them, but Neil Strauss learned much of what he knows from the guy on VH1, who was around long before Neil Strauss showed up.

You're probably right, but Neil's "mentor/tutor" (if you can really call it that) was that crazy dude. Never watched the show, though I bet it consisted of 1) neg girl, 2) develop comfort, 3) ..., 4) profit.

I wish I had the hook-ups for more launch parties. I will say, having that life is pretty crazy. My fraternity brother in college's stepfather is a billionaire real-estate developer, and his father is a billionaire import/export (?) guy, so my pre-M1 summer was pretty wild. Unfortunately, all I have now is the gift bag and a huge debt load :(.

Hmmm... how about giving up the dream of having someone in our lives?? ... and start.... by enjoying the present free time with family and friends.... and may be adopting a kid after graduation?!?! I know it sounds weird but thats what I have been thinking these days ....

My word, that is the most pathetic thing I've read in a really long time.

Snap out of it man, get a hold of yourself! Too many medical students lose the point of life, they're so caught up in everything (easy to do, I know). But lose that and you're dead to yourself.

"The purpose of life, after all, is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experiences."
-Eleanor Roosevelt

"Those who live are those who fight."
-Victor Hugo

"Take life as you find it, but don't leave it that way."
-Anonymous

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."
-Oscar Wilde

Let me say one thing, and this applies to everything, not just work, medical school, deadlines, papers, exams, books, patients, drugs, pharm, anatomy, professors, libraries and clinicals:

This is your LIFE. You MAKE it what it is. The choices you make and the priorities you set will define you. In all probability, you'll be dead in sixty years. Maybe sooner. You could die tomorrow, for all anyone knows. Don't feel sorry for yourself. Don't wander like a leaf blowing in the wind. Find the things in this life that are important to you and do them.
Medicine is probably one of them - you are doing that.

Don't stop there.

My word, that is the most pathetic thing I've read in a really long time.

Snap out of it man, get a hold of yourself! Too many medical students lose the point of life, they're so caught up in everything (easy to do, I know). But lose that and you're dead to yourself.

"The purpose of life, after all, is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experiences."
-Eleanor Roosevelt

"Those who live are those who fight."
-Victor Hugo

"Take life as you find it, but don't leave it that way."
-Anonymous

"To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all."
-Oscar Wilde

Let me say one thing, and this applies to everything, not just work, medical school, deadlines, papers, exams, books, patients, drugs, pharm, anatomy, professors, libraries and clinicals:

This is your LIFE. You MAKE it what it is. The choices you make and the priorities you set will define you. In all probability, you'll be dead in sixty years. Maybe sooner. You could die tomorrow, for all anyone knows. Don't feel sorry for yourself. Don't wander like a leaf blowing in the wind. Find the things in this life that are important to you and do them.

Don't stop there.

In all certainty I can assure you that I do not feel sorry for myself.... But what is so pathetic about leading a single life??
I am not sure if I really want to do that... but if life does turn out to be this ... then hey I did think about it and kinda know how i wanna spend it!!
I wonder if it is really important to be with someone ... It seems life would be better to have a significant other ... but how bad/good is it, if you do end up single??

In all certainty I can assure you that I do not feel sorry for myself.... But what is so pathetic about leading a single life??
I am not sure if I really want to do that... but if life does turn out to be this ... then hey I did think about it and kinda know how i wanna spend it!!
I wonder if it is really important to be with someone ... It seems life would be better to have a significant other ... but how bad/good is it, if you do end up single??

There is nothing pathetic about leading a single life. That's not what I was referring to and that's not what you said, though. What you said, is that you were giving up your dream of having someone in your life, implying that the single life is not what you wanted. Even in this post, you admit that you think life seems to be better with an s/o.

Your original post:

Hmmm... how about giving up the dream of having someone in our lives?? ... I know it sounds weird but thats what I have been thinking these days ....

If you said you never wanted anyone in your life, that is one thing. But you referred to the concept of having someone in your life as a "dream". That's generally not a term someone uses for something they don't want.

yep.:thumbup: i was thinking about adopting... b/c medschool/residency --> no time for personal life:(
and although i can find a guy to procreate with in a heartbeat:p, i don't want him to be just a procreation toy. i am looking for a true friend, and if i don;t find him, then adoption seems like a great idea:)

Maybe they don't count as normal, but I've seen people make this work pretty well when the other person is in big law. They both busts their butts and plan on another date in two weeks, when she's in between big cases and he's post exam, etc.

All Right, Giggity giggity :thumbup:

quagmire.gif

Don't stop there.

yep.:thumbup: i was thinking about adopting... b/c medschool/residency --> no time for personal life:(
and although i can find a guy to procreate with in a heartbeat:p, i don't want him to be just a procreation toy. i am looking for a true friend, and if i don;t find him, then adoption seems like a great idea:)

I plan on adopting/artificial insemination if I'm not married by 35. You can control your life up to a point, but you can't MAKE someone love you, deal with your career, or move around the country for you.

As medical students we've already made many decisions that have pushed away opportunities to find love--spending generally more time in the library in undergrad than others, moving over and over for our careers, etc. What's to say those decisions will end? Medicine and married life are not mutually incompatible but certainly more difficult than the guy who has a career out of high school, never left his home state, and never had to deal with a long distance relationship or make hard compromises like whose religion should we bring up our children in, whose career should we make the move for, etc.

Sit on your left hand for a really long time...then deal :thumbup: with being single

I plan on adopting/artificial insemination if I'm not married by 35. You can control your life up to a point, but you can't MAKE someone love you, deal with your career, or move around the country for you.

As medical students we've already made many decisions that have pushed away opportunities to find love--spending generally more time in the library in undergrad than others, moving over and over for our careers, etc. What's to say those decisions will end? Medicine and married life are not mutually incompatible but certainly more difficult than the guy who has a career out of high school, never left his home state, and never had to deal with a long distance relationship or make hard compromises like whose religion should we bring up our children in, whose career should we make the move for, etc.

Need a donor? $20. Multiple delivery options.

They overnight for $15? What carrier are you using?

ok. i know it sucks being a single heterosexual male in med school looking for single girls...but now try being a single gay male in med school looking for other single gay guys? there's lots of single guys...but none of them are gay. -_-'''

ok. i know it sucks being a single heterosexual male in med school looking for single girls...but now try being a single gay male in med school looking for other single gay guys? there's lots of single guys...but none of them are gay. -_-'''

If you lived in L.A. or get a res at UCLA it's right next door to west hollywood. Lots of gay men there, if I was gay I'd be hang out there getting my mac on.

But for the op I'd recommend getting this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Mystery-Metho...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1201971545&sr=8-1

Haven't read it myself yet but haven't had time maybe after I take step 3.

darwin was a genius.

Wow. Having skimmed this thread, I now realize how lucky I am to go to school in a metropolitan setting. I think it comes down to where you go to school. If you're in a big city, chances are you won't need to limit your dating pool to the hospital/med school. There are plenty of fish single fish in the sea in places like New York. In fact, most people here don't expect to settle down until their late 20's/30's. The opposite may be true in smaller towns and southern/mid-western states, where people get married earlier and the population density is more sparse.

I know busy residents at my hospital that still have an active dating life. Given, many residents happen to be married here too, but the ones that aren't have no problem dating around. So maybe get over to the nearest city on the weekend if you've got some spare time?

go on a date with pamela handerson.

1) Most girls who go to medical school have already realized that by the time they are done they will be in their late 20's or early 30's. Sadly most girls will cling to their relationships in medical school unless another guy comes along and makes it very obvious they are interested (won't let go of the vine until another one is close enough to swing to, so to speak).The perecentages of people who get married during or prior to medschool who get a divorce is scary.
I think the stats are that 70% of physician marriages end in divorce. Sucks :(, but I try to be optomistic.

There were a ton of hookups between classmates at my school. There are pros and cons to dating someone in your field.... They will understand how busy you are because they themselves will be going through the same thing. However, if it doesn't work out... you still gotta see them every friggin day LOL. I had 2 serious relatioships in med school fail because I wasn't available enough for my guy, just have to find someone that isn't clingy and okay with your lifestyle.

Med school does somewhat make us all socially ******ed. When I hang out with my non-medschool friends it takes me an hour to snap out of "medicine" mode before returning to the old "Gobuckeyes". Still working on eliminating this. Happy hour helps.

Not true, I'd semi-cougar a hot 22 year old anyday :D

Actually, it's heavily frowned upon for med students and residents to date (assuming they haven't been dating since both were still in med school). Sure, it happens frequently, and rarely may even end up in marriage. But most of these brief trysts don't work, and you won't believe the grapevine at any given hospital - you thought the gossip in med school was bad? Try workplace gossip! :eek: I'm just sayin', unless for some reason you've got an unquenchable desire to pursue a resident, don't do it. Especially if you're going to be working with that resident.
The grapevine is ridiculous......almost celeb magazine-like. I've heard more about my residents and attendings from listening to the nurse gossip than I ever could imagine. What do you think about med students dating an resident/attending on a different service? (i.e. med student on ob/gyn dating a resident/attending on surgery?)

What do you think about med students dating an resident/attending on a different service? (i.e. med student on ob/gyn dating a resident/attending on surgery?)

Everyone will know about it. The OB/GYN residents, the G Surg residents, and all the med students. And some of the nurses.

Everyone will know about it. The OB/GYN residents, the G Surg residents, and all the med students. And some of the nurses.

That's really funny you say that..... because when I did my OB/Gyn rotation the first thing my residents and nurses asked me (Literally, 30 seconds after meeting me on the first day) was if I knew "so-and-so" from my class..... who apparently dated one of the attendings.......and got him fired. *gulp* I agree with you though, unless they are at different institutions and/or meet outside of the hosp.

I agree with you though, unless they are at different institutions and/or meet outside of the hosp.

If two people who work in the same hospital hook up - whether they met at work or outside, at a restaurant/bar/club/party - then everyone will know about it. There are very few secrets that don't spread like wildfire through the hospital gossip grapevine.

I wasn't aware of the pick up artist community out there until after having watched the show on vh1 and then one day at club in hollywood I was talking to 2 girls doing the regular whats your name/what do you do thing. Then wham this guy in a funky outfit comes in and drops some lines straight from the show, next thing you know the hotest one from the group is dirty dancing him on the dance floor.

But for the op I'd recommend getting this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Mystery-Metho...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1201971545&sr=8-1

Haven't read it myself yet but haven't had time maybe after I take step 3.
So as for this book goes, since I recently broke up with my GF, reading it became a higher priority. I've gotten threw the begining of it and used some of the techniques as openers to aproach girls at clubs last weekend. Trust me they do work. But if your looking for deep meaningful relationships this is probably not the way to go. But if you're broken hearted like me having just broke up with my GF right before V-day and are looking for Ms. Rght now not Ms. Right then this is the way to go.

Well, I haven't read the myriad methods out there today, but I'm sure they do work since they probably all preach the same thing. In my experience, if you sit back and look at the dynamic of a club or bar, you will have several niches of behavior form as the night progresses. A) the bf/gf couple doing their thing, the B) girls night out crew humping each other and laughing it up, C) the generic bro group all wearing some permutation of a button down, and D) the random weirdos that are constantly scoping out the scene in the most stalkerish fashion.

If you're a guy, competition against group D) is out because they'll just sulk in the corner all night. All you're really up against is group C), and they're all clones of each other. It's like winning by default as long as you don't get stuck in with the C's.

Like you said, you also really have to match your personality type to the place you're going to be hanging out at too. Legitimate clubs, >$20 cover and above, are going to have smoking chicks with attitudes that you usually have to knock down a peg or two. Conversation is pretty limited too, so you have to move quickly. Bars and clubs are both fun, but I'm just too old to wake up and still not be able to hear correctly anymore. It's like a once a month thing now, and Philly's club scene isn't that great anyways.