How to get published?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Richanesthesiologist

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently participating at an REU (or SPUR whichever sounds better) program at a major public research university on the west coast. I will only be here for 10 weeks, and was wondering if I can get published in the amount of time. It is a brand new project that I just started working on. If I don't get published, would I be able to transfer the project to continue working on at my home institution (they have a similar program). Also, are professors you work with over summer internships good references for medical school applications? I'm a rising sophomore but will be applying to an accelerated BS/MD program in 2018.

Members don't see this ad.

For 10 weeks, getting a publication will depend on how productive the lab is. It really comes down to luck. There is no way that you'll be able to transfer the project somewhere else. And I used an LOR from a PI from a summer research program, totally fine.

Reactions: 1 user
I am currently participating at an REU (or SPUR whichever sounds better) program at a major public research university on the west coast. I will only be here for 10 weeks, and was wondering if I can get published in the amount of time. It is a brand new project that I just started working on. If I don't get published, would I be able to transfer the project to continue working on at my home institution (they have a similar program). Also, are professors you work with over summer internships good references for medical school applications? I'm a rising sophomore but will be applying to an accelerated BS/MD program in 2018.

You won't get published in 10 weeks, but you may get enough preliminary data for a post-doc/grad student to pick up and finish. You can expect to be put on the manuscript as a co-author depending on your PI and how much intellectual contribution you provided. But really, just do your best and go 110% if you want to get published. The rest is luck.

These PI letters are good for apps, but the longer the relationship, the better.

Reactions: 1 user
Although you may not be able to publish, I know of a few people who were productive enough over their ten weeks, that they were able to create amazing posters that they then presented at regional and national conferences.