How to get research experience??? (Rockland County)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DRHRT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As the title say...

How on earth do I get research experience??? I graduated in 2015 w/ BS in bio & chem. & have worked in a medical center for 2 yrs. I'd really like to work in a research lab to utilize my degree & knowledge. I have tried using indeed & applied for various lab tech/research associate positions. but haven't heard back :/Any suggestions???

Members don't see this ad.

Columbia, Weill Cornell, NYU, and Mt. Sinai all post listings for research assistants, technicians, and coordinators on their respective career websites. You'll have to send out a lot of applications to get any hits, and be prepared to affirm a two-year minimum commitment. There are sometimes small volunteer positions, but they are usually advertised to premed students in the city.

Reactions: 1 user
Columbia, Weill Cornell, NYU, and Mt. Sinai all post listings for research assistants, technicians, and coordinators on their respective career websites. You'll have to send out a lot of applications to get any hits, and be prepared to affirm a two-year minimum commitment. There are sometimes small volunteer positions, but they are usually advertised to premed students in the city.
HMMM.. yea I'm not really lookn for a 2-yr commitment, max 1 yr ( for gap yr)

Members don't see this ad :)
You and everyone else. You've got a lot of rejection incoming, but that's the game.
So, you're sayn that research is a crucial component of one's application. is that correct?

So, you're sayn that research is a crucial component of one's application. is that correct?

No, I was just giving a practical reply to your original question. I and many other premeds I knew needed a gap-year job, and I'm familiar with the rat race in NYC. I eventually found a one-year research job, but it took a lot of looking.