How to go about publishing a case report?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

@Hazel-rah

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am naive to the publishing arena but trying to get something on my CV under the "Research and Publications" heading.

I have a very interesting case that I'm submitting to present as an oral presentation at a citywide research day.

I also think I could write it as an article to get published. I'm interested in matching into EM.

Should I shoot for the moon first and submit to top EM journals?
Or should I just submit to the EMResidents magazine or similar?

Basically, how do you go about choosing a journal to which to submit a case report (or research article) for that matter?

If your submission gets rejected, can you keep submitting to other places?

Thanks for anyone who has advice, links, or experience in this realm :)

Members don't see this ad.

Just popping in to say I love the Watership Down username :)

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, I am naive to the publishing arena but trying to get something on my CV under the "Research and Publications" heading.

I have a very interesting case that I'm submitting to present as an oral presentation at a citywide research day.

I also think I could write it as an article to get published. I'm interested in matching into EM.

Should I shoot for the moon first and submit to top EM journals?
Or should I just submit to the EMResidents magazine or similar?

Basically, how do you go about choosing a journal to which to submit a case report (or research article) for that matter?

If your submission gets rejected, can you keep submitting to other places?

Thanks for anyone who has advice, links, or experience in this realm :)
Ask the attending/resident who you saw the patient with (and who will likely be one of the authors) what they think is an appropriate journal to shoot for and one that they have had success getting published in

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ask the attending/resident who you saw the patient with (and who will likely be one of the authors) what they think is an appropriate journal to shoot for and one that they have had success getting published in

Oh, that is a great advice, but I actually saw this patient while working at my job as an RN on the STEMI team. (And the interventional cards doc I did the case with has no idea about EM journals.) This kind of case has been in the cardiology and interventional cardiology journals a handful of times, but never an EM journal...

Last edited:
I wouldn’t recommend going for a top journal unless it truly is a groundbreaking case. In short, case reports can be difficult to publish in some journals. Make sure you read the author guidelines. Many will not even consider case reports. Others will limit you to 500 words. You will likely be submitting as a “short communications” or “brief report.” When I’m submitting a case report, I always look though the journal’s archives to see how often they publish case reports. You could also just email the editor in chief directly with a brief summary of your study and ask if they would be interested in it. Doing these things might save you months of waiting if you submit to a non receptive journal. On the flip side, there are journals that specifically publish case reports, but their impact factors tend to be very low. Your best option will likely be a mid-level field specific journal, but as I said earlier, make sure you investigate the journal’s track record with case reports beforehand. Speaking from experience

To answer your other question, yes you can submit it to as many journals as you wish. However, it can only be under review by one journal at a time. In other words, you must wait for one journal to reject before submitting to another

Reactions: 1 user
Why not submit to a cards journal. There’s a ton of them.