How to go about the DAT destroyer and in general about studying for DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pateeth

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I've been lurking through this site for months now, last month I finally decided I couldn't put off studying for DAT anymore and decided to face my fears.
Anyway, I'm not very strong in ANY of the subjects of the DAT.
I've been taking very detailed notes on Chad's videos, and I finished the GC section, so I decided to start destroyer at least for gem chem while I still review other videos (BTW it takes me so long to watch videos, because of all the notes I take or maybe I'm just too slow?).
The thing is that I couldn't even do the first problem, I moved to the second one and I didn't know how to do it either.
How should I go about this? Go over all my notes for gen chem and memorize all the formulas and everything or learn them as I encounter them doing the problems?
Or maybe I went the wrong way about Chad's videos?? I just took notes and took some of the quizzes, but didn't memorize everything for that particular day. How did you do it?
My test is schedule in a month, at the rate that I'm going, I will just have to delay my test. I am putting a lot of hours into going over the material, but maybe I'm just not studying effectively.

Any advice you guys can give me, is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Learn from Chad's videos first. Read your notes and until you have them mostly memorized, don't even attempt Destroyer. Once you finish every video you should review your notes. Spend a few days at the end reviewing everything.

Reactions: 1 users
Learn from Chad's videos first. Read your notes and until you have them mostly memorized, don't even attempt Destroyer. Once you finish every video you should review your notes. Spend a few days at the end reviewing everything.

Thank you, as per your suggestion I started reviewing my notes with Chad's videos (@ 2x speed) and now I'm emphasizing in memorizing and I already feel good about it. I'm even doing better on the quizzes now. Anyway, Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad :)
I honestly just jumped right Into the destroyer after going through chads once. It's meant to teach you, and I rewatched chads multiple times while doing the destroyer for the first time. Just gotta keep pushing through.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi, I have DAT in a week (7/30). What I did for Chad's was just do one set of videos per day. Like one day just on acids/bases sets of videos and another day on nuclear chemistry or something like that. Each set contains around 5~10 videos or so, around 1 hours and 40 minutes. And yeah, just as you were doing, take notes as you carefully watch the videos. Make sure you understand everything he says in the video. Do the quizzes. And the next day, do another set of videos, quizzes, and after that, just quickly skim/review the one from day before. After I was done with Chad's videos, I went straight into destroyer. I probably got like ~70% of them correct my first try. And after I got through it once, I got through it for second time flying through it quicker. After I did that, I got bootcamp, and started taking the individual exams. For Ochem I averaged around 28, and GChem around 25, Bio around 24~25. PAT I averaged around 22~23, and RC around 20. So I think Chad's followed by destroyer really is the best way to go about the chems. I recently downloaded Qvault for bio, and I think it is a tad bit harder than BC bio. I am scoring slightly lower than in Bootcamp (so far I did 3 tests, got 23, 22, and 25), and the types of questions are more application. There is just too much information in Bio, so I think the best way to go about bio is just to get multiple study resources, like Cliffs, Feralis, Destroyer, BC, and Qvault. Spend the most time in bio b/c it takes the longest to master whereas once you get Chad's, and destroyer out of the way, you will be pretty solid for ochem and gchem.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, I have DAT in a week (7/30). What I did for Chad's was just do one set of videos per day. Like one day just on acids/bases sets of videos and another day on nuclear chemistry or something like that. Each set contains around 5~10 videos or so, around 1 hours and 40 minutes. And yeah, just as you were doing, take notes as you carefully watch the videos. Make sure you understand everything he says in the video. Do the quizzes. And the next day, do another set of videos, quizzes, and after that, just quickly skim/review the one from day before. After I was done with Chad's videos, I went straight into destroyer. I probably got like ~70% of them correct my first try. And after I got through it once, I got through it for second time flying through it quicker. After I did that, I got bootcamp, and started taking the individual exams. For Ochem I averaged around 28, and GChem around 25, Bio around 24~25. PAT I averaged around 22~23, and RC around 20. So I think Chad's followed by destroyer really is the best way to go about the chems. I recently downloaded Qvault for bio, and I think it is a tad bit harder than BC bio. I am scoring slightly lower than in Bootcamp (so far I did 3 tests, got 23, 22, and 25), and the types of questions are more application. There is just too much information in Bio, so I think the best way to go about bio is just to get multiple study resources, like Cliffs, Feralis, Destroyer, BC, and Qvault. Spend the most time in bio b/c it takes the longest to master whereas once you get Chad's, and destroyer out of the way, you will be pretty solid for ochem and gchem.
Thanks Don Kim, sounds like you're ready to destroy the DAT! Did you have a strong background in science prior to your studying?
Yeah, I all keep seeing is that bio is the most random, but at this point I need to really study everything!
Thanks for your advice.

I honestly just jumped right Into the destroyer after going through chads once. It's meant to teach you, and I rewatched chads multiple times while doing the destroyer for the first time. Just gotta keep pushing through.
Thanks I'm trying not to get discouraged...