How to have time for all extracurriculars?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

f7227

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just finished first semester as a sophomore, I know I didn't get started as quickly as I should've, but I'm gonna start research in a couple weeks, apart from that I've just maintained a 4.0 gpa without any other extracurriculars. I don't want to take a lot of gap years, I would be fine applying my senior year to have 1 gap year but wouldn't want to delay my acceptance longer than that

I was wondering how the heck can you guys manage to "check all the boxes" with research, clinical experience, clinical/nonclinical volunteering, shadowing, clubs all while maintaining a good gpa and studying for the mcat. It doesn't seem possible to fit all of that into a reasonable application time line. For example, doing research and working on my grades doesn't leave any time for clinical experience as a scribe, and if I only do research for a year to do scribing after I likely wont have any publications or anything to show for my work. I'm just stressing out and don't know what's the best thing to do right now.

Members don't see this ad.

Time management is an essential trait for being a medical student. Developing the straight begins as an undergrad. The simple answer is that you make time, and you figure out what you can or cannot do within the confines of the time you have during a semester.

One thing is for sure, you can't do everything at once. You have to pace yourself.

Reactions: 2 users
I think it's all about just trying to find balance and being ambitious without overextending yourself. For example, with your worries about research and clinical hours, you could try to find a lab that has part-time involvement along with getting your clinical experience through clinical volunteering a shift or two each week - the same goes for nonclinical volunteering.

I think the other key is just getting hours through long-term commitment. I had a friend who was a two sport varsity athlete (fall/spring) who volunteered 3 hours a week at a local hospital, did nonclinical volunteering 4 hours per week, and research two afternoons a week after classes. This, in addition to the extra time from weekends, winter break, summers, etc. meant that when they applied, they were able to have 400+ hours clinical volunteering, 400+ hours of service, 2 poster presentations, and 150 hours of shadowing from summers in addition to being a varsity athlete. Now, it certainly wasn't easy, but the fact that they stuck to a plan yet were flexible when the situation called for it made it very possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
For me, simply changing my sleep schedule to wake up 2 hours earlier in college opened up tons of time! That's 10 extra hours during the week. All that studying you normally do during the day or at night can be swapped to the morning, leaving the day for more EC's.

In addition, if needed don't be afraid to let those grades slip slightly. Sure a 4.0 is amazing but when it comes to apply there won't be much difference between a 4.0 and 3.8. Imagine your an accommodate, would you rather a 4.0 student with limited ECs or a 3.8 who has 1000+ clinical, research, and volunteer hours! Seems like an easy decision to me

Reactions: 1 user
You already have the hardest part of a med school application which is a 4.0 in prereqs. I would slowly titrate EC’s in until you feel burnt out or your GPA drops below 3.8. And remember quality is much better than quantity. 2-3 long term and enthusiastically completed EC’s for 10 hrs/week total is much better than 20 hrs/week at 10 different places. In terms of shadowing and similar boxes to check, I would try to knock that out during a summer. If you look at it as an hours needed basis, you don’t need that much split over 2 more years. 50hrs shadowing, 100 hrs clinical volunteering, 100 hrs non-clinical, 100-500 hrs research. That’s like 5-6 hrs/week over the next 2 years.

Remember that med school is competitive but the acceptance rate is still like 30-40% for MD schools, not 3-4%. Anyone can rack up EC hours, what keeps most people out is a bad GPA or MCAT. Bad GPA is also extremely expensive in both time and money to repair, speaking from personal experience. An SMP for example is $60k and 3,000 hrs easy.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Just my strategy, feel free to take inspiration if it seems feasible for you. I understand I got lucky here and there, and that some of what I am able to do with time management is not possible for everyone.

A lot of the premeds at my school go with a strategy that I think is garbage. They take out a list of ECs that are 'requirements' like you said with "research, clinical experience, clinical/nonclinical volunteering, shadowing, clubs". They find an activity or two for each box and start doing it all, or sometimes spread over 3-4 years. They burn out, sleep very little, eat little to nothing or all junk, and are demotivated 2-3 years into it. I think this sucks. The way I saw is is that, rather than checking boxes for clubs and stuff, adcoms would rather see that I cultivated the skills needed to be a good medical student; they'll make me a doctor when I am there, right now I need to learn and demonstrate skills a good med student needs. What are these? leadership, compassion/empathy/servitutde, team player, good communicator, life long learner, familiar with many cultures and life experiences, familiar with medicine and what they are getting into, comfortable with hypothesis based research. I found activties that both 1) helped me cultivate and demonstrate these traits and 2) were things that I enjoyed so that it was actually fun to do them instead of more work.

Side note, and underrated part of time management is making sure you don't burn out personally and still have motivation to do everything. Something I tried to do, for example, is to avoid doing any work after 7:00 or 8:00 p.m. I use that time to play games, watch basketball or relax and it keeps me fueled up to keep working the next day. I found that beating at something when you're just not making any progress is actually counterproductive and it contributed to maki g the stuff you do feel irritating and useless.

I found activities in freshman and sophomore year that I enjoyed and stuck with them.
1) clinical: found a job as a tech in a clinic at the hospital that does small procedures. One shift a week, Saturday morning 4am-4pm. I get 12 hrs clinical a week, no interruptions during the weekday and I am hope in time every Saturday to catch a game or get an early dinner w fam before bedtime. Sunday is free to do whatever. The sacrifice? Can't really take weekend trips, and waking up once a week at 3 for a 12hr shift is hard, but residents do this and much more so it's almost like I'm priming myself LOL
2) research: this one is harder. I found a clinical data research group and collect data w them, go to a zoom meeting every two weeks or so. All work from my computer, at home, on my own time. I mostly do it during my commute (I have a privacy screen on my laptop so no patient data is visible and sit at the back of the bus!). About 5-10 hours a week. Also applying for a summer research internship so hopefully I get about 250 hours of intense bench research.
3) service and empathy: a good clinical job helps, esp if it's with a more challenging or underserved patient population. I also found a local food back affiliated with a garden program. They send out a sign up every month, you choose which shifts you want, and I can choose which days I wanna go. I do about 15 hours a month, and it's a very fun environment which makes me look forward to my shifts. It's also during the evenings so I don't interrupt class schedules. Also do a LOT of service at my local house of worship, but debatable if I include that.
4) communication and experiences: work as a writer for a student group and do a lot of interviews with different people for different projects. I set up zoom calls w them on my own time and write on my one time. Very flexible, and have had so many eye opening conversations.
5) leadership: I did student govt, which is generic, but wasn't a fan and left after a year. Instead, I found an intl stem org I liked the mission of and joined first as a journalist, worked my way up to a development officer and am now president. Took 3 years of work. However, bc it's int'l and student run it's ALL virtual. Again, everything from home and my own computer. Very flexible, and awesome leadership and team work skills.
6) shadowing: cold email!! I set up shadowing during breaks and holidays. The hospital is one of the few places open when the rest of the world is relaxing. Yeah I lose a day or two of vacation but it's so easy to set up a shadow day in a clinic on like Dec 23 or Jan 4 or something when most other students are still sun baking on Cancun. I still get a good week and half of vacation!

I do a few other things, some seasonal and some regular. The point is that if you plan carefully, you can engineer a schedule that is very conducive to you enjoying yourself, being productive and not burning out. Find opportunities that are virtual, or once or twice a week only. And do things that interest you! Makes it seem less like a burden and work. Don't run after pubs either, but if it means a lot try for a summer internship somewhere one year and try to get a pub out of that. If you're a good writer join a think tank or something, or publish poetry idk what you're into. And it's not all about checking boxes, it's about showing you can be a good medical student. I'm no adcom, but if I was a med student I'd much rather have a classmate who majored in wine tasting and grew grapes to donate to hospices or something rather than a gunner premed with 628262 research hours and 19 first author papers each in nature, cell and NEJM. Nothing wrong w the latter, but the former is a cool person who will probably make a great med student.

Last edited:
Strict budgeting of time. When I was a freshman, I spent way to much time studying for exams and writing papers, not realizing the law of diminishing returns

I think it's all about just trying to find balance and being ambitious without overextending yourself. For example, with your worries about research and clinical hours, you could try to find a lab that has part-time involvement along with getting your clinical experience through clinical volunteering a shift or two each week - the same goes for nonclinical volunteering.

I think the other key is just getting hours through long-term commitment. I had a friend who was a two sport varsity athlete (fall/spring) who volunteered 3 hours a week at a local hospital, did nonclinical volunteering 4 hours per week, and research two afternoons a week after classes. This, in addition to the extra time from weekends, winter break, summers, etc. meant that when they applied, they were able to have 400+ hours clinical volunteering, 400+ hours of service, 2 poster presentations, and 150 hours of shadowing from summers in addition to being a varsity athlete. Now, it certainly wasn't easy, but the fact that they stuck to a plan yet were flexible when the situation called for it made it very possible.
Thank you, it seems like the general consensus is that doing just a few hours a week of clinical, research, etc, is manageable on a day-to-day level but still adds up to a significant amount of hours during application time. Do you know if clinical volunteering can replace clinical experience? or do you need both

Just my strategy, feel free to take inspiration if it seems feasible for you. I understand I got lucky here and there, and that some of what I am able to do with time management is not possible for everyone.

A lot of the premeds at my school go with a strategy that I think is garbage. They take out a list of ECs that are 'requirements' like you said with "research, clinical experience, clinical/nonclinical volunteering, shadowing, clubs". They find an activity or two for each box and start doing it all, or sometimes spread over 3-4 years. They burn out, sleep very little, eat little to nothing or all junk, and are demotivated 2-3 years into it. I think this sucks. The way I saw is is that, rather than checking boxes for clubs and stuff, adcoms would rather see that I cultivated the skills needed to be a good medical student; they'll make me a doctor when I am there, right now I need to learn and demonstrate skills a good med student needs. What are these? leadership, compassion/empathy/servitutde, team player, good communicator, life long learner, familiar with many cultures and life experiences, familiar with medicine and what they are getting into, comfortable with hypothesis based research. I found activties that both 1) helped me cultivate and demonstrate these traits and 2) were things that I enjoyed so that it was actually fun to do them instead of more work.

Side note, and underrated part of time management is making sure you don't burn out personally and still have motivation to do everything. Something I tried to do, for example, is to avoid doing any work after 7:00 or 8:00 p.m. I use that time to play games, watch basketball or relax and it keeps me fueled up to keep working the next day. I found that beating at something when you're just not making any progress is actually counterproductive and it contributed to maki g the stuff you do feel irritating and useless.

I found activities in freshman and sophomore year that I enjoyed and stuck with them.
1) clinical: found a job as a tech in a clinic at the hospital that does small procedures. One shift a week, Saturday morning 4am-4pm. I get 12 hrs clinical a week, no interruptions during the weekday and I am hope in time every Saturday to catch a game or get an early dinner w fam before bedtime. Sunday is free to do whatever. The sacrifice? Can't really take weekend trips, and waking up once a week at 3 for a 12hr shift is hard, but residents do this and much more so it's almost like I'm priming myself LOL
2) research: this one is harder. I found a clinical data research group and collect data w them, go to a zoom meeting every two weeks or so. All work from my computer, at home, on my own time. I mostly do it during my commute (I have a privacy screen on my laptop so no patient data is visible and sit at the back of the bus!). About 5-10 hours a week. Also applying for a summer research internship so hopefully I get about 250 hours of intense bench research.
3) service and empathy: a good clinical job helps, esp if it's with a more challenging or underserved patient population. I also found a local food back affiliated with a garden program. They send out a sign up every month, you choose which shifts you want, and I can choose which days I wanna go. I do about 15 hours a month, and it's a very fun environment which makes me look forward to my shifts. It's also during the evenings so I don't interrupt class schedules. Also do a LOT of service at my local house of worship, but debatable if I include that.
4) communication and experiences: work as a writer for a student group and do a lot of interviews with different people for different projects. I set up zoom calls w them on my own time and write on my one time. Very flexible, and have had so many eye opening conversations.
5) leadership: I did student govt, which is generic, but wasn't a fan and left after a year. Instead, I found an intl stem org I liked the mission of and joined first as a journalist, worked my way up to a development officer and am now president. Took 3 years of work. However, bc it's int'l and student run it's ALL virtual. Again, everything from home and my own computer. Very flexible, and awesome leadership and team work skills.
6) shadowing: cold email!! I set up shadowing during breaks and holidays. The hospital is one of the few places open when the rest of the world is relaxing. Yeah I lose a day or two of vacation but it's so easy to set up a shadow day in a clinic on like Dec 23 or Jan 4 or something when most other students are still sun baking on Cancun. I still get a good week and half of vacation!

I do a few other things, some seasonal and some regular. The point is that if you plan carefully, you can engineer a schedule that is very conducive to you enjoying yourself, being productive and not burning out. Find opportunities that are virtual, or once or twice a week only. And do things that interest you! Makes it seem less like a burden and work. Don't run after pubs either, but if it means a lot try for a summer internship somewhere one year and try to get a pub out of that. If you're a good writer join a think tank or something, or publish poetry idk what you're into. And it's not all about checking boxes, it's about showing you can be a good medical student. I'm no adcom, but if I was a med student I'd much rather have a classmate who majored in wine tasting and grew grapes to donate to hospices or something rather than a gunner premed with 628262 research hours and 19 first author papers each in nature, cell and NEJM. Nothing wrong w the latter, but the former is a cool person who will probably make a great med student.
Thank you, I really understand where you're coming from. I always try to keep in mind that I shouldn't do something I don't truly want to do but I always go back to the fact that so many people talk about missing X in your application drastically reduces your chances at acceptance. To be honest, if it were up to me I wouldn't do lab research, clinical research interests me more but is really difficult to find and I don't want to waste any more time looking since I'm already halfway through sophomore year. Also, this type of research doesn't seem like it would yield a publication unless I am committed to long-term which I'd rather spend time on something else. I just feel like I'm running out of time and need to start doing something, but I also don't want to switch immediately after if I find something I like more since I read that long-term commitment is really valuable.

For me, simply changing my sleep schedule to wake up 2 hours earlier in college opened up tons of time! That's 10 extra hours during the week. All that studying you normally do during the day or at night can be swapped to the morning, leaving the day for more EC's.

In addition, if needed don't be afraid to let those grades slip slightly. Sure a 4.0 is amazing but when it comes to apply there won't be much difference between a 4.0 and 3.8. Imagine your an accommodate, would you rather a 4.0 student with limited ECs or a 3.8 who has 1000+ clinical, research, and volunteer hours! Seems like an easy decision to me
To be honest, I had a lot of additional time to do other things, I just never took the initiative to get started, and I have a lot of units complete to the point where graduating in 4 years will result in 2 semester below full time which I am also worried about since it might not look very good to have a low course load. I'm just stressing about finding extracurriculars that I WANT to do and am passionate about but I'm stressed on time since its been 1.5 years with nothing

You already have the hardest part of a med school application which is a 4.0 in prereqs. I would slowly titrate EC’s in until you feel burnt out or your GPA drops below 3.8. And remember quality is much better than quantity. 2-3 long term and enthusiastically completed EC’s for 10 hrs/week total is much better than 20 hrs/week at 10 different places. In terms of shadowing and similar boxes to check, I would try to knock that out during a summer. If you look at it as an hours needed basis, you don’t need that much split over 2 more years. 50hrs shadowing, 100 hrs clinical volunteering, 100 hrs non-clinical, 100-500 hrs research. That’s like 5-6 hrs/week over the next 2 years.

Remember that med school is competitive but the acceptance rate is still like 30-40% for MD schools, not 3-4%. Anyone can rack up EC hours, what keeps most people out is a bad GPA or MCAT. Bad GPA is also extremely expensive in both time and money to repair, speaking from personal experience. An SMP for example is $60k and 3,000 hrs easy.
Thank you, I've been cautious about my GPA because I know that fixing another part of my app is a matter of a couple of months whereas salvaging a GPA will take years. The part that stresses me out the most is finding extracurriculars that I WANT to do even though I want to start as fast as I can and feel like I have to settle for any hospital volunteering/research lab I can find

Thank you, I've been cautious about my GPA because I know that fixing another part of my app is a matter of a couple of months whereas salvaging a GPA will take years. The part that stresses me out the most is finding extracurriculars that I WANT to do even though I want to start as fast as I can and feel like I have to settle for any hospital volunteering/research lab I can find
I think it's very smart to wait to find something that you actually want to do, and I would not worry about taking an extra semester or even two to find the right fit for both volunteering and research.

It wasn’t till late in my college career that I decided to pursue medicine so I wasn’t concerned with “checking off all the boxes” throughout college. I did have a rigorous under grad major (molecular biology) but still had plenty of time for extracurriculars because I choose extracurriculars I was passionate about. I had long standing volunteer positions (non clinical) that I stuck with and tried to participate in when I could. I was on a club sports team that I eventually held leadership positions on. My lab was not human medicine but it was related to my passions at the time. Later when I decided to pursue medicine I found a shadowing opportunity that I was able to work in over my summer and that shadowing position later lead to gap year job that was clinical. I was accepted this cycle and I think the key was the “quality” of my extracurriculars. Finding opportunities and experiences you are passionate about makes it much easier to make room in your schedule for those things. It also makes them much easier to talk when writing essays or doing interviews.

Reactions: 1 user