How to Improve Application Post-Graduation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aa134673

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I was hoping to receive some advise on how to make my application more competitive post-graduation. I received a 3.7 GPA at UCSD in neuroscience and physiology. By the time I apply, I will have ~4,000 hrs of experiencing scribing for physicians in 3 different specialties (occupational, hepatology and OBGyn). I volunteered for hospice for 6 months and will likely start volunteering with them again soon. The area of my application in which I'm lacking is research/extracurriculars. I came from a low-income family (1st gen college student) and needed to work all 4 years of college to support myself financially. Due to taking a full course load and working 25-30 hrs a week, I didn't have time for extracurriculars and could't afford to do non-paid lab work. I worked at a drug metabolism and pharmacokinetics lab for 2 years as a lab assistant but I don't think that will mean anything since it was industry based and not academic.

Based on what I have so far, what activities should I pursue to make my application stronger/more well rounded. I know the most important thing I could do is research, but there are almost no research opportunities for post-grads. Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I was hoping to receive some advise on how to make my application more competitive post-graduation. I received a 3.7 GPA at UCSD in neuroscience and physiology. By the time I apply, I will have ~4,000 hrs of experiencing scribing for physicians in 3 different specialties (occupational, hepatology and OBGyn). I volunteered for hospice for 6 months and will likely start volunteering with them again soon. The area of my application in which I'm lacking is research/extracurriculars. I came from a low-income family (1st gen college student) and needed to work all 4 years of college to support myself financially. Due to taking a full course load and working 25-30 hrs a week, I didn't have time for extracurriculars and could't afford to do non-paid lab work. I worked at a drug metabolism and pharmacokinetics lab for 2 years as a lab assistant but I don't think that will mean anything since it was industry based and not academic.

Based on what I have so far, what activities should I pursue to make my application stronger/more well rounded. I know the most important thing I could do is research, but there are almost no research opportunities for post-grads. Any advise would be appreciated.
Your clinical experience is already strong, whether the hospice work was directly with patients or in a support role (like laundry, shopping, cleaning, & cooking). Consider some volunteer service to those in need, with a cause you care about. If it has a teaching role, that's of value to your application. If it leads to a leadership position with the organization, take it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your clinical experience is already strong, whether the hospice work was directly with patients or in a support role (like laundry, shopping, cleaning, & cooking). Consider some volunteer service to those in need, with a cause you care about. If it has a teaching role, that's of value to your application. If it leads to a leadership position with the organization, take it.

Yah, the hospice position did involve working with patients. But I think you’re right. Volunteering in an area that would allow me to teach would probably be better than going back to hospice since I have so many clinical hours. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,

Thanks
Do well on the MCAT and start engaging in service to others less fortunate than yourself OR Get a job in a research lab

Your app looks great so far.