How to increase chances for landing a competitive GI fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AFineApple

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much will not going to a top residency hurt me for fellowship applications?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm an MS4 who is interviewing for pediatric programs at the moment. I've been a decent applicant on paper (steps of 25x and 26x, good ECs and research) and have interviews from multiple highly ranked residency programs however I am ranking my programs such that I can be in the same city as my significant other so chances are that I will end up at a mid or low ranked pediatrics residency. I have a few questions about applying for NICU fellowship
1. How much will not going to a top residency hurt me for fellowship applications? (I will likely still end up at an academic center where there's a decent opportunity for research)
2. For neonatology, is there a lot of benefit in aiming for the top fellowship programs like CHOP or Children's National?
3. How can I best improve my chances at landing a top fellowship program? I slacked off a lot in medical school and want to shine in residency. I've been reading a little of polin and yoder's since I have a whole lot of free time now. What can I do from now until residency starts? What can I do when residency starts?

I'm sorry for asking so many questions but thank you guys so much!!
1. Minimal effect on fellowship if you do well as a resident.
2. Only if aiming for academic research oriented career, even there are lots of very good academic places to do fellowship that would point you in that path.
3. Now? Nothing. As a resident, in addition to getting to know a few neo attendings well, try to do a small research project, at least a chart review.

Reactions: 1 user