How to let a school know it's your top choice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fishy fish

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm planning on submitting secondaries to 20ish MD schools and 4 DO. Realistically though, only 5 of those schools are ones I can attend without having to live apart from my husband. We decided we'd be willing to live apart for a year while he finishes his residency, which I don't find ideal but am willing to do. How can I let these 5 programs know that they're my top choices, given my circumstances? I know telling a school it's your top choice could mean nothing to them...But I do somehow want to emphasize that in a genuine way..maybe they'd be more willing to consider me.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think you can ever go wrong with a boombox serenade.
d2gn2kuiy5z5i2pxdhzp

In my non-expert opinion I would say that this is something that you would address in either the "why this school?" or "Is there anything else you'd like to tell us?" secondary questions. Just be sure you make it more why about you're a good fit for the school itself rather than it's location being the best for your family. Also be prepared to answer this question either in interviews or even from adcoms on here: are you willing to move wherever it takes to become a physician or do you want to live close to your husband?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Back in 1985, George Clooney was my first choice of a husband. The fact that we didn't know each other was a bit of an impediment and I'm not sure that telling him my opinion would have made a difference.

Tell your target schools that your husband is a resident at xyz... they can read a map and connect the dots.

Reactions: 7 users