How to make yourself study

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bashir

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a PGY-4 at a program that doesn't ask that much from PGY-4s, and I have two young kids at home. I have studied pretty hard at times and not really at all at other times in the first three years, and I'd really like to make the most of these next 10 months prior to graduation to expand the depth and breadth my knowledge base, as I anticipate things will just get busier once I am out in practice. Does anyone have any practical tips on how to stay on track in the absence of much in the way of external motivation or accountability and the presence of more pressing demands on one's time? I tend to test well, so thinking of reading as preparation for boards isn't that motivating for me. I'd appreciate people sharing any suggestions or techniques that have worked for you for setting and achieving reading goals.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a PGY-4 at a program that doesn't ask that much from PGY-4s, and I have two young kids at home. I have studied pretty hard at times and not really at all at other times in the first three years, and I'd really like to make the most of these next 10 months prior to graduation to expand the depth and breadth my knowledge base, as I anticipate things will just get busier once I am out in practice. Does anyone have any practical tips on how to stay on track in the absence of much in the way of external motivation or accountability and the presence of more pressing demands on one's time? I tend to test well, so thinking of reading as preparation for boards isn't that motivating for me. I'd appreciate people sharing any suggestions or techniques that have worked for you for setting and achieving reading goals.

From personal experience:

1) Ensure spouse/someone else takes little people to daycare or wherever they go during the day.

2)Wake up at 5 or so.

3) Gym for a bit

4) Arrive at work 90 minutes before necessary, sit in your office with nothing you have to do.

5) Read

6) Repeat.

Reactions: 1 user