How to rank a school that took you off waitlist for interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

indonacious

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was taken off what I assume to be a waitlist and granted an interview in December to interview at a program. I'm unsure of what that means in terms of my rank list and how I may be perceived by the program. I realize that if I love the program I am not at a disadvantage to rank them highly, but I guess it's more of an expectations question and how likely it would be to match at a program like this after getting an interview so late in the game.

Just to provide my context, it's a top 20 doximity program in a desirable city. I believe they interview around 300 people per year.

Members don't see this ad.

Rank them how you like them. This is not a complicated issue.

Also, if ranking them highly and then not matching there is going to significantly bruise your ego, it's going to be a long 3 years/career for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
When programs send out the rejection "We had more competitive applications than interview spots this year" it's true. You're on the right side of things, so rank it how you like it and let the match happen.

Members don't see this ad :)
Slyly slip a Franklin between your thumb and hand on that initial interview handshake with the respective school's PD.

I was taken off what I assume to be a waitlist and granted an interview in December to interview at a program. I'm unsure of what that means in terms of my rank list and how I may be perceived by the program. I realize that if I love the program I am not at a disadvantage to rank them highly, but I guess it's more of an expectations question and how likely it would be to match at a program like this after getting an interview so late in the game.

Just to provide my context, it's a top 20 doximity program in a desirable city. I believe they interview around 300 people per year.

I decided to apply to IM late after already interviewing at ~12-15 programs in another specialty and realizing where my heart truly was. I got a random invite in December from a large academic program for two days later. I assume someone had cancelled. I said yes, booked my flight five minutes later. Loved the program, they loved me. I ranked them number one, matched there. It's doable.