This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prehealthboi

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Up until recently, I was a pre-med student. I am entering my senior year of college and I need to figure out my path, especially when it comes to prepping for the entrance examinations. After shadowing some MD's I realized that while the profession is immensely rewarding, it may not be the one for me. This is because a lot of the time being a physician (depending on the field) can become a bit repetitive with everything going on internally for the most part. A friend in dental school told me about how in dentistry, hands are everything. You're always using your hands and you see results right away which is something I may find more fitting. I am now going to start shadowing some dentists to see if this could be a fit for me. However, as a pre-med, I learned about how to prepare for MCAT but the DAT seems like a different world. If anyone has experience and can tell me what the route is in regards to preparation, prep courses and practice exams, please let me know! Thanks so much.

Members don't see this ad.

For me personally I used Chad's videos solely for orgo and gen chem sections, DAT Bootcamp for PAT, reading, QR and overall practice exams. For bio section I used Cliffnotes AP Biology book.

Reactions: 1 user
The sciences and math should be pretty similar to the MCAT stuff if not easier. The biggest thing for you would be the PAT. So I would start looking at problems and watching videos. Bootcamp is the best overall resource imo.

Members don't see this ad :)
For me personally I used Chad's videos solely for orgo and gen chem sections, DAT Bootcamp for PAT, reading, QR and overall practice exams. For bio section I used Cliffnotes AP Biology book.

There are a few different editions of Cliffs AP biology, which do you recommend?

Congratulations on choosing to pursue a career in dentistry. The DAT is an important stepping stone on your pathway to dental school. In general, as you prepare for the DAT, I recommend you have some form of content review, such as videos or prep books, to review the information. This will particularly be useful for the sciences. Then, you will want to have some practice questions to simulate the actual DAT. Many students begin their studies with an emphasis on content review, and then progressively transition their focus to answering practice questions. Practice tests will allow you to not only prepare for the test, but also to gauge your progress to see if you have to postpone your test date. Feel free to let me know if you have any specific questions. Good luck studying!